Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:00:36 AM(UTC)
One of the things I've bemoaned about the Packers is how soft I perceive them to be. They get pushed and don't push back. The last player I remember who took absolutely no shit was LB Wayne Simmons and I have missed that mentality for a very long time. So, when Martellus Bennett laid out LB KJ Wright after he hit Aaron Rodgers, I couldn't have given a shit less about the penalty. You have to set the tone. You have to make sure teams see that shit won't fly. (it should be noted it was a perfectly legal hit, nothing dirty or "shit" about it).

Regardless of it being a clean hit, he thought his QB was cheap shot'd and didn't hesitate to defend him. THAT is what this team ... NEEDS! We absolutely need that on defense too and I think Mike Daniels holds that fort for us to a degree.

What did you think about it when it happened and do you feel differently day plus after the game?

Rob Demovsky said:
First, the Green Bay Packers' new tight end came to Rodgers' defense on Sunday after what he thought was an unnecessary hit on the QB by Seattle Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright. Then, after Bennett drew a 15-yard penalty for shoving Wright, the tight end hauled in a 26-yard reception with two minutes left that clinched the Packers' 17-9 season-opening victory.

Martellus Bennett was penalized 15 yards for this hit on K.J. Wright. AP Photo/Mike Roemer
“It’s my quarterback,” Bennett said. “I’ve always got his back. It’s a bad penalty at that moment in time, but I thought it was a cheap shot. I saw him out of my peripheral, which isn’t the best all the time. I always protect the quarterback. I’ll never let anybody take a cheap shot on my guy. That’s any guy on the team. I’ve got everybody’s back.”

“I think this early in the season, it kind of sets the tone,” Bennett said. “It lets guys know this is what we’ve got, this is who we are. Other people around the league will see it, and we’ve got to set the tone. You take shots on my quarterback, we’ll take shots on you. It’s the same thing if someone takes a shot on Ty [Montgomery] or Tae or Randall. All those guys are my boys, my brothers. A lot of my teammates came and said, ‘We’ll take that [penalty] every single time.' That made me feel good, even though I told Mike, that’s a bad penalty, I know better than that, but I just can’t let that s--- happen.”

Continue Reading @ESPN
steveishere  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:17:48 AM(UTC)
I don't know why people are freaking out like it's some new thing. TJ Lang was doing stuff like that his entire career here.
Barfarn  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:25:08 AM(UTC)
I'm all for it if game is out of reach, one way or the other.

And because GB got the first, it really softened the blow of the penalty. If Marty calculated that in, not so sure he did, it's not as bad.

I remain torn. It wont stop Rodgers getting hit next time and I imagine what would be said if that play cost us the game. But, it probably boost the morale of Packers, but then these things tend to make no difference a week or 2 later as players return to who they are inside.

Now what happens if everyone takes what Rodgers said about it to heart and Beasley smacks Rodgers next week, will 66 guys [the 53, practice squad and guys on IR] run on field and kick the shit out of Beasley? LOL
Porforis  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:25:47 AM(UTC)
I don't mind Bennett retaliating for the same reasons Kev mentioned, but I also don't think the shot on Aaron was unusual or unreasonable. The defending QB is running and he's diving head first. Giving him a shot with your shoulder to his shoulder/side as he's diving but before he hits the ground should be expected - it's football.
Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:57:40 AM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't know why people are freaking out like it's some new thing. TJ Lang was doing stuff like that his entire career here.

I'm not sure why people claim people are freaking out when not a single person has freaked out even remotely. As for TJ Lang, he was a pussy cat. Give me a break. Stop over exaggerating things.
Porforis  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:02:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure why people claim people are freaking out when not a single person has freaked out even remotely. As for TJ Lang, he was a pussy cat. Give me a break. Stop over exaggerating things.

Stop freaking out, I'm freaking out over here! Cursing
Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:30:24 AM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
Stop freaking out, I'm freaking out over here! Cursing

Relax! Steve is right, Lang did come to the defense, I just don't remember him coming with the violence that Bennett did. It is possible I am misremembering things too. All I know, ... I loved how fast Bennett came and flatted a LB like he was nothing. Albeit, some could say it was a cheap shot in itself! haha.
Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:29:20 AM(UTC)
I see a possible problem though. If they think they can get into Bennett's head, they might be willing to take other questionable shots at Rodgers to get Bennett to give them a free 15 yards. Especially in a close game like it was Sunday. Thankfully it didn't cost us, but it COULD have had we not got another first down AFTER the one Rodgers picked up.

I saw the hit as questionable, as the guy drove into Rodger's back. It COULD have caused a bad injury.
Barfarn  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:46:15 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
I see a possible problem though. If they think they can get into Bennett's head, they might be willing to take other questionable shots at Rodgers to get Bennett to give them a free 15 yards. Especially in a close game like it was Sunday. Thankfully it didn't cost us, but it COULD have had we not got another first down AFTER the one Rodgers picked up.

I saw the hit as questionable, as the guy drove into Rodger's back. It COULD have caused a bad injury.

I didn't think of this; but you are 1000% correct. Part of "practice" for most, if not all teams, is to identify hot heads and the things that triggers them into penalties. Wouldn't it be great to know you can pile drive Rodgers; try to get him out of game and Marty will make it so it's off-setting.

Maybe we should invest a roster spot in an "HB." There are no more halfbacks so they'll be no confusion placing a "Hanson Brother" on the roster. At a time where it wont impact the game, the HB, who BTW is a three-way player LOL, goes in and head hunts the culprit.
steveishere  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:51:26 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Relax! Steve is right, Lang did come to the defense, I just don't remember him coming with the violence that Bennett did. It is possible I am misremembering things too. All I know, ... I loved how fast Bennett came and flatted a LB like he was nothing. Albeit, some could say it was a cheap shot in itself! haha.

He pushed a guy over backward who was on his knees...
beast  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:02:26 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
He pushed a guy over backward who was on his knees...

That and when Lang went after someone, fans normally thought the other player was in the wrong before Lang went after them. Where the LB wasn't in the wrong there, hitting someone as they went dove forward and momentum rolled over him.

I don't mean to be negative on Bennett's reaction, just noting that it's much easier to get behind Lang because when he does something like that, the other guy has normally done worse than that LB did this time. Of Lang would get in his face and not shove him. I think being so close, Bennett thought it was worse than it really was.

And while Rodgers might love the protection reaction, in the video it looked like his first reaction was
"Noo... well, okay... we'll roll with it"
... at least that's how it looked to me.
wpr  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:17:48 PM(UTC)
I was not in favor of Bennett's reaction. I get protecting the QB and all that. I don't think Bennett looked at the spot of the ball and decided they had the 1st down before he reacted. If Rodgers was 1/2 yard short it could have had dire consequences. You can protect your teammates "6" and not get flagged for 15 yards in the process. Play the game. If you thought it was a cheap hit win the game that's the best revenge.
musccy  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:32:20 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
I get protecting the QB and all that. I don't think Bennett looked at the spot of the ball and decided they had the 1st down before he reacted.

This. As others have said, it wasn't a malicious hit by any means, and really could have cost the Pack.

Easier to forgive/forget knowing all the outcomes, but that shouldn't justify an otherwise unnecessary over-reaction going forward.

Rss Feed