Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
With the Chargers and the Rams in Los Angles as the Raiders prepare to move to Las Vegas , it does not seem too far off that we may see an NFL team in London . IMO , that team will be the Jaguars .
They already make more money playing in Europe over Florida . How long before it happens however is the question.

Other locations that have gained access to the short list include Mexico City . Berlin and Barcelona and Amsterdam , IMO, could also be prime locations .

UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago
How many players would take a pay cut to NOT have to pull those overseas trips 8 times a year (just for games)?
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago

How many players would take a pay cut to NOT have to pull those overseas trips 8 times a year (just for games)?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

A good point, but by then the newest updated versions of the SST (the old Concord) may well be in service. Also , schedules can be drawn up so that 2 or even 3 games could be played in America before the need to fly back to London . The Training Camp Facilities like the Redskins have in Richmond ,Va could serve as a home away from home. The Team could choose a location and have such a facility ready for a London team's first season .

The NFL has a long range goal to expand into markets beyond the U.S. . Europe already had a taste of the real thing with the NFL Europe experience . It had teams in many of Europe's largest cities and for the most part did very well .

Yes there would be problems , but the profits will greatly outweigh the obstacles . 10 , 15 , or maybe even 20 years in the future , but it will come to pass .

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
Do Jags make money in Europe because they earn more from fans or because NFL is subsidizing them?

The biggest problem is that players in Europe will be taxed at a much higher rate... so players with smaller contracts but taxed less could make more money.

So to be competitive they would need a higher cap limit which will create problems.

Also time zone issues. People already complain about West to east... Think about West to London.

Personality I hate the idea, it's America's game... if they spread it, it will also be diluted... I much rather take it to Canada before Europe
UserPostedImage
Poppa San
6 years ago
Only makes sense if there are more teams in Europe. Flying the Seahawks and Cardinals to London for one game every few seasons doesn't make sense. Road teams are at a serious disadvantage whenever a London based team is brought up.

What is more likely IMO is a 17th game in the regular season played at an international site such as the ones mentioned before. Sandwich them between a bye week or two, then they becomes doable.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I awoke this morning with a headache. I still went to work. She went back to sleep.
beast
6 years ago

What is more likely IMO is a 17th game in the regular season played at an international site such as the ones mentioned before. Sandwich them between a bye week or two, then they becomes doable.

Originally Posted by: Poppa San 

When they were talking about having 18 games per season, I brought up that idea... have 17 games, 8 home, 8 away, 1 Non-NFL City Game

The Non-NFL City Game would allow for the International Games as well as maybe allowing the Packers to host a game in Milwaukee, Madison or Canada... or anywhere they can find a stadium they like.

Packers game at Camp Randall Stadium every other year, or something.

The hardest part would be on the schedule makers and getting an agreement on where the extra opponents will be coming from.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
Sunday Breakfast + NFL Football = Yeah Baby !

food44375.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
Poppa San
6 years ago

When they were talking about having 18 games per season, I brought up that idea... have 17 games, 8 home, 8 away, 1 Non-NFL City Game

The Non-NFL City Game would allow for the International Games as well as maybe allowing the Packers to host a game in Milwaukee, Madison or Canada... or anywhere they can find a stadium they like.

Packers game at Camp Randall Stadium every other year, or something.

The hardest part would be on the schedule makers and getting an agreement on where the extra opponents will be coming from.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Guaranteeing a "good" game at a neutral site would be tough.  Watching the Bengals and Cardinals implode this season and if they were in say Barcelona week 4?  Or anyone vs the Jets or other bottom feeders this season.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I awoke this morning with a headache. I still went to work. She went back to sleep.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Playing a couple games a year works because people travel from much of Europe to see because they are something "new" and different and the people are coming from all over. When you watch a game, they are wearing jerseys from every team. Well not the Bears or Vikings or Lions, but every other team. Try moving a team there and expect that same turnout for 8 games every year and I think you are expecting to much. I can't see them building a single team fanbase. Football is not their sport.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
Teams like the former NFL Europe's' London Monarchs, Barcelona Dragons, and Rein Fire delivered a quality product and drew good stadium crowds. The issue was as I believe that the games did not get the ratings needed on American Television. It did however turn many in Europe on American Football. Expanding markets for American Sports like NFL Football and Baseball is no less than what European Soccer leagues are trying to do in America .

It may not happen soon , but someday the NFL will go "true' international.

Enjoy your Sunday Breakfast / NFL Game this Sunday , I will .

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.