Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
As most of us know , Green Bay has been blessed with successive HOF QBs in B.Favre and A.Rodgers . Most teams are just not this fortunate . Over their time , so far , GB has played in 3 SB games and won 2 Lombardi Trophy's . Knowing just how rare and wonderful it is to be so blessed , it is not so difficult to see how frustrated some get when they see season after season go by without GB adding more Lombardi Trophy's to the teams trophy cases . Time does not stand still and before we know it Rodgers will no longer be GB's QB . IMO, GB has a "golden opportunity" right now that may not occur again for possibly for decades after the Rodgers era .

Following the Rodgers Era is the subject of this thread . What management positions will see fresh new faces ? Will Defense take over as the teams top priority ? Will GB need to "Tank" a season to get a blue chip QB ? Will it be 30 or 40 years before GB gets back to another SB ? Will the Vikings or Lions win SB's as the Packers struggle with loosing season after loosing season ?

Please , share your thoughts .

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Should have been in three more SB, but players not management let use down.

I think as long as Rodgers is able to keep playing, and not have his career ended early because of injury, we have a good chance of continuing success. First we need to change GM, which I expect to happen within the next couple years. Next I want a new head coach to be brought in when Rodgers has 4 or 5 years left. Giving them a window of finding a replacement QB either dropping to them in the draft or through a trade, and having a couple years to develop him.

With the Quality of QBs coming out of the college, I think it is easier to find a QB today than it was in the past. The hard part is matching the right QB with the Right Head Coach. I believe that Brady would not be the same if not with Belicheck, Rodgers would not be the same without McCarthy.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago

Should have been in three more SB, but players not management let use down.

I think as long as Rodgers is able to keep playing, and not have his career ended early because of injury, we have a good chance of continuing success. First we need to change GM, which I expect to happen within the next couple years. Next I want a new head coach to be brought in when Rodgers has 4 or 5 years left. Giving them a window of finding a replacement QB either dropping to them in the draft or through a trade, and having a couple years to develop him.

With the Quality of QBs coming out of the college, I think it is easier to find a QB today than it was in the past. The hard part is matching the right QB with the Right Head Coach. I believe that Brady would not be the same if not with Belicheck, Rodgers would not be the same without McCarthy.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

The GM gets advice on players, but he makes the final player personal decisions. The Coaches then must work with the players that they are given to work with . If then you are a couch lucky enough to have a future HOF QB , you give thanks the Football Gods. If your team has such a QB , like NE or Pittsburgh has, then you do all that you can as they are doing , to take advantage of your good luck and go for it while you can .
GB's management seems satisfied only to achieve a playoff level team and is not reaching for the level 1 players needed to win SBs . Blaming player performance for not winning is just wrong , blame management for not getting better players for the coaches to work with .
IMO , GB's current philosophy would would have given Vince Lombardi a Heart Attack . I fear that all GB will be able to accomplish is to keep making the playoffs , but not winning any SBs until a change in management takes place. I hope that change takes place before Rodgers retires from the sport .

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

The GM gets advice on players, but he makes the final player personal decisions. The Coaches then must work with the players that they are given to work with . If then you are a couch lucky enough to have a future HOF QB , you give thanks the Football Gods. If your team has such a QB , like NE or Pittsburgh has, then you do all that you can as they are doing , to take advantage of your good luck and go for it while you can .
GB's management seems satisfied only to achieve a playoff level team and is not reaching for the level 1 players needed to win SBs . Blaming player performance for not winning is just wrong , blame management for not getting better players for the coaches to work with .
IMO , GB's current philosophy would would have given Vince Lombardi a Heart Attack . I fear that all GB will be able to accomplish is to keep making the playoffs , but not winning any SBs until a change in management takes place. I hope that change takes place before Rodgers retires from the sport .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I thought the subject was Following the Rodgers Era?

While there is always something more or different that could be done, The team has been to 4 NFC Championships under Ted, should have been to two more. The team put on the field in 2007 was good enough, the team in 2009, 2010, 2011 were all good enough. 2014 is clearly the players fault for not being in another SB. Losing Nick Collins was a huge hit, that probably cost us two SB appearances.

Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
The Post Rodgers Era will be basically no different than it is now , minus Aaron Rodgers . Too afraid of "the cap" to be bold and go trade for a Pro-Bowl CB or DE or WR . Other teams loose players to injury and still go on to win SBs. They don't constantly look for excuses for why they lost "a" game. The winners have players that "can " step up to fill in for injured players.

In the future, GB may have a GM that searches for and hires the best quality instead of picking over other teams leftovers for "cheap" players . A GM that is not afraid to trade draft picks to get a blue chip rookie or to get a proven Pro-Bowl veteran that can step in and play right away. It is great to have one or two players that are "Project" investments for the future and cost the team only a basic paycheck . The 53 man roster is no place for "Projects" that may , and too often do , have to step onto the field vs teams that smile with glee to see GB replace #1 OL and/or DL players with C- players.

AE 184w2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
"Tanking" a season to get a higher draft pick never works. Look at how many first round "can't miss" QB's MISSED! And how many later round ones ended up being really good?
The draft is a crap shoot. There are no guarentees. Look at how many passed on Rodgers. I bet many are kicking themselves now.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
That is nice politically correct talk. Reality is you don't just simply replace an all pro quality player like Nick Collins there are only a small handful of player at that level, we've gotten close with HaHa but he even isn't to the level Nick was. If he hadn't been lost, the defenses would have been noticeably better in 2012, 2013, 2014, enough that it easily could have been the difference of getting into 1 or 2 more SB. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I can think of a team that lost a Pro-Bowl quality player like Collins in the prime of his career that went on to win a SB within the next year or two or three. I'm sure you can name the list of them off though.

This also isn't baseball or basketball. Trades for Pro-bowl level players don't happen very often. giving up draft picks and paying for what those best quality players cost seldom works outside of NE. What is usually does is screw a team over for many years in the future.
nerdmann
6 years ago

That is nice politically correct talk. Reality is you don't just simply replace an all pro quality player like Nick Collins there are only a small handful of player at that level, we've gotten close with HaHa but he even isn't to the level Nick was. If he hadn't been lost, the defenses would have been noticeably better in 2012, 2013, 2014, enough that it easily could have been the difference of getting into 1 or 2 more SB. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I can think of a team that lost a Pro-Bowl quality player like Collins in the prime of his career that went on to win a SB within the next year or two or three. I'm sure you can name the list of them off though.

This also isn't baseball or basketball. Trades for Pro-bowl level players don't happen very often. giving up draft picks and paying for what those best quality players cost seldom works outside of NE. What is usually does is screw a team over for many years in the future.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

We lost Dez Bishop too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
Great players have moved on to another team and have won SB's . Examples include :
Drew Brees and the Saints
Payton Manning and the Broncos
Reggie White and the Packers
Charles Woodson and the Packers
and it did not destroy their new teams . [flapper]

In addition, teams like NE, and Pittsburgh, and Dallas, and others manage each season to have rosters that can survive the loss of 1st team starters. The difference between teams that make the playoffs and winning SB's lies with the Defense that they field as well as the depth / quality of the 2nd and 3rd level backup players. [cool]

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago
Once Aaron is gone, we will have much more money to spend on other players.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.