wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
I just got home a few minutes ago. I thought there would be a thread discussing the game. I don't see one and and too tired to do much more.

A few comments that you may or may not have picked up on the tv.

1. No wave during the game. Before the OT began someone nearby tried to start it 4 or 5 times and it didn't go. I rarely see the wave. It just doesn't seem to be something that Packer fans are interested in doing.

2. Some guy brought 5 or 6 beach balls. They were really popular. Unfortunately I have never seen any fans in any stadium outside of Dodger Stadium know what to do to keep the ball in play. Everyone keeps hitting the ball into the lower seats which means it doesn't take more than 10 times before they loose it.

3. During the 4th Q drive just before the tying TD Aaron motioned for the crowd to quiet down. When they did he gave a thumbs up and everyone cheered, which of course is making noise. But it didn't last long.

4. The fans booed loudly at half time as the Packers were leaving the field. Part of it was we felt a punt with 5 seconds hang time and 2, 3 or even 4 seconds to recover the muffed punt should have left a few seconds on the clock. The play began with 11 seconds. Perhaps that was eaten up with the ball getting back to the punter. Not saying I booed for that reason simply people were upset that GB didn't have a chance to try for a FG as time expired.

Back to booing the sloppy play of the Packers in the first half, Everyone cheered loudly at the end of regulation. They were showing the players they appreciated the effort made in the second half. I have been going to games in Milwaukee and GB since the mid 70's. (Not every year until 2001.) I have never heard Lambeau as loud as it was in OT when Cincy had the ball. That includes playoff games. For one thing playoffs mean winter coats and gloves. It's difficult to be loud when you are wrapped in 5 layers of clothing. No one left at the end of the game. They cheered the players as they headed to the tunnel. More than half the fans where still there when Aaron finally left after his post game interview. He smiled and blew a kiss to the crowd who then went wild.

5. Our first few replays of the "fumble" by Adams were pretty dark. It sure looked like the ground caused the fumble but it is so difficult to see even on those giant video boards.

6. Man was it hot. I had at least 2 liters of water before ad during the game and I was still dehydrated.

7. That game was a lot of fun. It was frustrating at times but the end was exciting.

8. Allison is going places. Glad to see a former Illini make his mark. The college team has been so lousy for so long it's hard to imagine anyone associated with them having any kind of success in the pros.

I-L-L

I-N-I!

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
Good to hear that the fans figured out when to cheer. After reading the thread about it here I really thought our fan base was filled with entitled brain dead idiots.
greengold
6 years ago
I was there too - my first game since 2005! I agree with all 8 points.

As far as noise at inappropriate times - I looked around a few times and my sense was there were some sizeable pockets of Bengals fans leading the noise. If I was at an away game I would do the same thing. Luckily there weren't enough of them to really disrupt things.

I don't think you are going to stop the travelling fans - too much $$ involved. The best way to quiet them down is to play better and don't give them anything to cheer about.

RainX
6 years ago
Fortunate to have pulled that one out being down 21-7 at half time. Crazy to think that was Rodger's first overtime win of his career. As inconsistent as the defense can be sometimes, they did hold Cincinnati to 17 points overall and clamped down pretty good in the second half. They need to get Jones on the field more because that kid can make plays and King is definitely the future at one of the two corner spots.

As bad as the Bears have been the past few years, they're a team with low expectations and not much to lose coming into this game and have played very tough two out of the last three weeks including beating the Steelers in a crazy one. It's not one we can take for granted and we're still probably going to be banged up with the short week.
blank
Porforis
6 years ago

Fortunate to have pulled that one out being down 21-7 at half time. Crazy to think that was Rodger's first overtime win of his career. As inconsistent as the defense can be sometimes, they did hold Cincinnati to 17 points overall and clamped down pretty good in the second half. They need to get Jones on the field more because that kid can make plays and King is definitely the future at one of the two corner spots.

As bad as the Bears have been the past few years, they're a team with low expectations and not much to lose coming into this game and have played very tough two out of the last three weeks including beating the Steelers in a crazy one. It's not one we can take for granted and we're still probably going to be banged up with the short week.

Originally Posted by: RainX 

Agreed. Bears will be smelling blood with the wounded Packers squad and problems on the O line. Packers won't be able to play 2 quarters of football and win it this time.
wpr
  • wpr
6 years ago

Good to hear that the fans figured out when to cheer. After reading the thread about it here I really thought our fan base was filled with entitled brain dead idiots.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

It's kind of funny the wave issue happened during the opening day game because there use to be more of a rivalry between the Green and Gold season ticket holders.

The Green STHs felt they were the true and knowledgeable fans because the Packers belong to GREEN BAY not Milwaukee. They had the 5 home games (later 6) so they knew the players better and so on. They hated giving up games to Milwaukee. Milwaukee didn't sell out every game in the 70's and 80's. (That's one of the reasons why I was able to catch a few games on short notice. Probably Cheesey too.) Back in the 70's fans in GB never use to boo the Packers no matter how poorly they played. You could hear a few boos but not many in Milwaukee. That irritated some GB fans.

Either Robert Parins or Bob Harlan once said that as long as he was President of the club the Gold STHs would never get the premiere games including the home game against Chicago and MNF. For some reason it was ok to give them either a Lions or Vikings game and an AFC game. He really wanted to keep those games in GB too but Roselle said he had to spread them out a little.

Any way, if the Gold STHs had caused the wave controversy we would have heard that we don't know what it takes to be Packers fans or take their seats away for 2 games. I suppose 20 years after all the games have returned to GB has seen some of that contention fade away.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
6 years ago

I was there too - my first game since 2005! I agree with all 8 points.

As far as noise at inappropriate times - I looked around a few times and my sense was there were some sizeable pockets of Bengals fans leading the noise. If I was at an away game I would do the same thing. Luckily there weren't enough of them to really disrupt things.

I don't think you are going to stop the travelling fans - too much $$ involved. The best way to quiet them down is to play better and don't give them anything to cheer about.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Wish I had known. We could have tried to meet up with Zero for lunch or something.

I know some of the cheering was Bengals related but that noise was pretty weak for the most part. Nothing to really distract the players on the field.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
6 years ago
Some more game comments- The fans were cheering "Go Pack Go" towards the end of regulation when the Bengals player was down.

Let's face it, they want to cheer for the offense too. Not just after a td. After about 3 times the cheer faded away. The video board asked for quiet while the medical staff was attending to the injured player. I get the concept. You would hate to have the fans going crazy when Darryl Stingley or Mike Utley are laying there fighting for their lives. Still it was a chance to let the offense know they appreciated their play.

In the stands near me there was a very loud, very drunk guy who was cursing a blue streak. His comments were that the people who know him will tell you he is loud all the time. Also you don't come to a game in GB to sit and keep quiet. The loud and obnoxious was tolerable. That happens all the time. The cursing was too much. There were plenty of kids in the area. Too many F bombs and the like. Just about the time I was ready to tell him to shut up I realized he was pouting because the woman who owns the seats threatened him if his actions cost her the tickets in future years.

The seats used to be her dad's seats, 4 of them. He attended games from the 50's until his health wouldn't permit it any longer. I met him and we talked the during first 5 or 6 years I got season tickets. Everyone in our section knew he was a grumpy old guy who didn't quite know what was going on. One time he asked, "Why is everyone turning around after every play?" She told him they are watching the replay on the video board. He turned around to see one of the earlier versions of the Tundra Vision. It had been there for at least 5 years. "I don't need a damn video to see the play. If I wanted to watch the game on tv I would just stay home." Everyone laughed.

In the second Q the drunk announced he needed another beer and extolled us with the virtues of beer for about 3 or 4 minutes. The point is the woman controlled her guest to make sure the game was enjoyable for everyone around them. After the 3rd Q td to Jordy I turned around to give him a high 5. He complied but other than Cincy fans, he was the only one there with a frown.

Speaking of high 5's, there were plenty going around whenever GB scored. There was a young couple right in front of me. She had a college ID on her key ring so I know she was still in school. I figure the young man was a year or two older. He brought back a beer after halftime and she had a bottle of water. They had me take their picture before the game began so it was easy to carry on a conversation with them during the game. In the forth Q I leaned down and put my hands on their outside shoulders so I could talk to them both at the same time. I told them my wife and I have been coming to games since we were their age. I went on to say we use to kiss after every td. Now I get a high 5. They laughed. I am sure they were thinking that would never happen to them. That made me chuckle. My wife asked me what I told them. When I told her, she laughed even harder than they did. Later she gave me a kiss after Allison's big play and laughed at me.

To my left sits a man who inherited his 2 seats from his mom. She's about my age but she prefers to stay home and watch on tv. He brings his son to the early game and someone else to the November game. (Too cold for his son.) I enjoy listening to the son asking his dad very simple questions about the game. He's learning. I have to fight off the temptation to butt in and give him my opinion. Why ruin a great father-son time? One of the boy's questions was to ask his dad if he thought GB would go for 2 points if it was the end of the game or would they go for the tie and overtime.

I think he's around jr high or maybe even a freshman in HS. I can see the young man keeping the tickets that his grandma use to own and sitting next to my son who makes the trip up from Michigan to watch a couple of games a year. My daughter-in-law would go to the Sept game but tell him it's too cold to go to the Nov game. Hopefully my son will have a son or daughter of his own who will enjoy spending time with him.

Being a Packers fan can be passed from one generation to the next. I would have enjoyed talking Packers history with my Dad. Too bad he was a Chicago Cardinals fan. Then StL Cardinals football fan- Sort of. He didn't follow football like he did baseball.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago
Thanks for the stories, wpr! It's good to hear about the human element of the games.
Barfarn
6 years ago
A little late; but what he hell.

Clearly the key to winning is having Ricky Jean on the team.

The 2 most important plays IMO:
1. The flea flicker-this has been worked on for a long time to hit Jordy deep; when it wasn’t there Rodgers did what a patient Rodgers does, goes elsewhere.

2. On game tying drive, the side line pass to Allison on 3rd and 9 for 1st-The play before Allison is hot read on A gap blitz where guy had a free run at Rodgers. Romo said Rodgers needed to adjust the protection…WRONG! Rodgers knew he had right play called and wanted the MLB to come and trusted Allison to know his assignment. Everything went perfect except Allison dropped the pass. This is the type of play that caused DCs not quit blitzing Rodgers. But, no sulking, no pouting about how great he is being surrounded by bums; Rodgers went right back to Allison on a signature McCarty-Out/out of bounds catch. And this play requires ultimate trust and pinpoint timing w/ the situation being dyer.

These 2 plays show that we’re getting Rodgers back. His 1st win in OT after a 7 point 4th Q comeback. Excelling in crunch time has been Rodgers’ biggest problem; hopefully this will become the norm.

Rodgers again was making mostly good decisions in the 1st half; but several of his 1st half passes lacked trademarked Rodgers accuracy.

Martinez played a great run game, and decent in passing game; though on at least 2 occasions he didn’t get into position on his drop.

King-Solid rookie performance. Was humiliated on first pass to Green at 1Q 13:00. At 2Q :48, he was lined up across from Green on far left hook zone. He didn’t carry Green deep enough to pass him off to Evans. Green was very open, but Dalton missed. King had some decent coverages and some very good ones on a top receiver. Note: King is #1 rated rookie CB by PFF.

Jones! what can ya say. Loved his veteran savvy brilliance on the 3rd down in OT. He has TE, man, in flat, and sees the ball coming to TE. Instead of trying stop the completion, he has the presence of mind to recognize his best chance to stop the 1st was to concede the catch and be in best position to make a sure tackle. So he abandons the shortest path to TE/ball and bellies back toward the marker to get between TE and marker. This permitted him to get the angle to drive the TE away from marker instead of hitting him parallel to it. It is obvious the only thing in the way of this guy being a star is his noggin and this play shows the mental aspects of the game will come. The last thing I’d expect is GB drafting a safety in rnd 2; now I get it, this guy was probably the last guy in Ted’s tier.

Notice how well the D played when the O sucked and when he O was playing well. The quality of Rodgers’ play does affect the D’s performance.

we have 2 gunner studs. Rollins for the 2nd time in 2 weeks threw/pushed the guy blocking him into the punter.

Vogel, Zero bad punts game 1; 1 bad punt game 2. And his first punt v Bengals was a 27 yrd stinker and he had a 53 yarder that got returned 20 because it lacked hang time. His other 4 punts were quite good and several were at critical moments. He also grabbed a pretty bad snap [a foot right of his right ear] on first PAT and got it down for Crosby. Shows he’s got the hands of a WR. And we really needed that point too 😂. Crosby is 11 for 11 w/his kicks; so it seems Vogel’s doing his job holding.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.