wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Using his 'pretty nice arm,' Davante Adams' toss costs him $6,076

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

How could he not know the NFL would fine him? When I saw the toss I told my wife he was going to get fined. Years ago it was only a $100 fine. But with larger contracts even $6000 is chump change.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

How could he not know the NFL would fine him? When I saw the toss I told my wife he was going to get fined. Years ago it was only a $100 fine. But with larger contracts even $6000 is chump change.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Maybe he was thinking it's a football of which you can find in any sporting goods store therefore has little to no value? I probably didn't know it was a fine when I was in my early 20's and focused on a plethora of much more important things.

Anyway, when I saw him throw the ball, I thought wow someone is gonna have a nice souvenir!
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
6 years ago
It was none other than the Packers own Paul Hornung who threw the ball into the stands after he scored a touchdown that caused the No Fun League to start levying a fine for tossing a ball to the crowd at Lambeau.
Like WPR said back then it was $100.00.
When I saw him do it last Sunday, I said to myself, there goes $100.00.
Not knowing the fine had been mega increased.
Smokey
6 years ago
Why does the NFL fine players for their behavior ?

The NFL is first and foremost a business . As a business they must maintain control over their employees ,
especially if it is a very public business like sports . Basic standards of behavior are approved by the owners and enforced by the commissioner that they set into place to run the league . The owners can't afford to loose control of the players , so their contracts and the CBA contain language that requires them to not act like jackasses . If they do then a progressive fine system reminds then to act like professionals .

You hit a man in his wallet and it leaves a lessen learned . The courts have used this form of punishment for centuries . Adams will pull back the next time a gets ready to toss another football into a crowd .

Do players like Cam Newton get fined when they walk over and hand a football to a child ? [sneaky]

UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago

The NFL is first and foremost a business . As a business they must maintain control over their employees ,
especially if it is a very public business like sports . Basic standards of behavior are approved by the owners and enforced by the commissioner that they set into place to run the league . The owners can't afford to loose control of the players , so their contracts and the CBA contain language that requires them to not act like jackasses . If they do then a progressive fine system reminds then to act like professionals .

You hit a man in his wallet and it leaves a lessen learned . The courts have used this form of punishment for centuries . Adams will pull back the next time a gets ready to toss another football into a crowd .

Do players like Cam Newton get fined when they walk over and hand a football to a child ? [sneaky]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

You'd think this sort of behavior would be a way to make MORE business... Jack up the prices of the endzone seats by like $10 a pop, everyone has a chance of getting a ball.
Poppa San
6 years ago

I heard once it was for fan safety.  No mad scramble in the stands to get the ball.  Not even sure the fan gets to keep the ball.

Do players like Cam Newton get fined when they walk over and hand a football to a child ? Sneaky

Probably.  Pittance fine (to his bank account) for a feel good story.  In this case I think the kid keeps the ball.  Difference between handing it to a specific person and tossing it at random into the crowd.  Probably falls under the player can keep the ball after a score (personal memoralbilia/trophycase) and dispense it at will.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I awoke this morning with a headache. I still went to work. She went back to sleep.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

I heard once it was for fan safety. No mad scramble in the stands to get the ball. Not even sure the fan gets to keep the ball.

Probably. Pittance fine (to his bank account) for a feel good story. In this case I think the kid keeps the ball. Difference between handing it to a specific person and tossing it at random into the crowd. Probably falls under the player can keep the ball after a score (personal memoralbilia/trophycase) and dispense it at will.

Originally Posted by: Poppa San 

It is for the safety of the fans. If the NFL Inc allowed all players to chuck balls into the stands there is the possibility for the mad scramble like there was for Barry Bonds homers. If someone gets knocked down and stepped on maybe even hit their head on the seat in front of them some attorney will be on the phone to them before they get back to their car.

I don't know if anyone has done a study on it but it seems to me that there is more drinking at NFL games. There is certainly more drinking before the fans get into the stadium. That means the probability of poorer judgement increases and the odds of injury increase.

I don't know all the details of the incident only what people said later. A couple of years ago the guy who was sitting in the row behind me somehow ticked off the guy in the row behind him. Apparently he was drunk and so was his girlfriend. They were enjoying each others company more than they were enjoying the game. Everybody around them was pretty ticked off. The guy 2 rows back had enough and hit him and shoved him hard. The drunk had no control and fell landing on me. I in turn fell unto the two people in front of me. I had one hand for support on the back of each of them so the pile didn't go any further. The drunk was laying on my back. I was bent over with my chest on my knees and my arms on the good folks in front of me. My son grabbed him and threw him back towards his seat. He and his girlfriend were asked to leave. If I landed only on the woman in front of me I would have thrown her on to the next row down and it's possible that I would have followed her or at least landed on her seat.

While it is impossible to keep baseballs from going into the seats it is possible to keep footballs out. That is the difference between MLB's lack of concern and NFL's no fun rule.

On a side note does anyone here remember when the Packers didn't have nets behind the goal posts? The players tunnels where there and most of the FGs and extra points went into that area. The few balls that made it into the stands were given back by the fans. Usually the kid who catch the ball after the PAT would walk over the the edge of the stands and wait for the fans to pass the ball from row to to row and from fan to fan until it got back down to where he was waiting. On the rare occasion that one of the fans wanted to keep the ball as a souvenir, the ushers who remind the fan that they would ask him to leave if he didn't return the ball.

Second part of the comment, the rule states a player can hand the ball to a fan in the stands and not be fined. That underscores the concern for the safety of the fans. You won't see someone diving over 2 or 3 rows of people when the ball is placed into someone's hands.

Another no fun rule that is players can't jump into the stands. Lambeau Leap is grandfathered in as acceptable.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

No. Players can hand the ball to someone without being fined. As others have alluded/stated, the no throwing a ball into stands is done for crowd-control purposes to prevent multiple fans from fighting over the ball.

A bit of irony isn't it that a Passing league would rather you Hand the ball off? 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.