Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
GB practices injury substitutions constantly to get the player's mindset on coming off bench cold. Sunday, the most ill-prepared was MM.

When Rodgers went down, MM’s focus needed to be 100% on getting Hundley ready for Saints and he failed miserably because he was coaching from a text book instead of coaching in the moment.

He ran too much on 1st down because the text books say, establish the run to open up passing game. But, is he delusional? An OL that never played as a unit together on either side, w/ players ranked on OL as #9, 10 and 11? Does he think this OL will have any shot at establishing he run against that fresh and rested front 7 and even worse when Smith comes in box? This is pure idiocy! All it did was put Hundley in 2nd and long, which the text book says leads to 3rd and longs.

1Q :12 3rd and 2, GB lines up, Minny gets a look and their mind set on what to do. GB calls TO and they come back with same play! Hundley anticipates Allison will be open; but doesn’t adjust his throw when the anticipated reaction by Minny proved wrong.

14:45 1st and 10. Minny brings 8 in box. This should be anticipated by Mike McCarthy because that’s what the text books say. With an inexperienced QB ya gotta get the run going, so Minny is thinking, stop the run, then t-off on young QB in 2nd and 3rd and long. Quick 4-5 yard passes needed to be called on 1st; instead the attempt to establish the run consistently put Hundley in 2nd and long.

8:04 3Q, on 3rd and 9 Hundley hits a 10 yarder to Cobb for first down; then to Jordy for 9…okay now the kid is on a roll a perfect op for play action, and idiot Mike McCarthy calls run, followed by another run and a punt. This idiotic play calling that robbed Hundley of getting into rhythm, of “stacking success” and pilfered from him valuable reps to prep for next week.

6:26 3Q, 4th and 1 at 46, Down by 7. The text book says punt. I ask Mikey boy, punt to your healthy and vaunted defense? In one felled swoop, Mike McCarthy filches from Hundley a great pressure opportunity, and steals more reps and tells Hundely, "I dont trust you." . Even if you miss, the shorter field means GB gets the ball back sooner to get Hundley more snaps.

9:17 4Q, 4th and 4, down by 13, at GB 33. The text book says punt, but why? Do you think you can win? Brett needed that 4th and 4 opportunity to prep for next week.

And of course we saw last drive. Minny put 2 safeties back, CBs drop back of LOS and Hundley shined. The further behind the sooner Minny goes into prevent. I was hoping Hundley would get 2 long successful drives under his belt. But, Mike made sure Hundley got no more than one.
nerdmann
6 years ago
"Establish the run to set up the pass." Does that mean run every time on first down? 🤣 This is a hige problem with Mike. "Coaching from a textbook" is a good way of putting it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
I notice how you cherry pick which plays you "break down". Why didn't you break down the first series first down play or the 3rd series first down play? perhaps because they don't fit your theory?

First series they run on first down and gain 7 yards, Exactly what you would like to do for your backup coming off the bench. 3rd series again they run and get 5 yards, another good first down play to help a young QB. You just picked one that didn't have the same success.

I Have more issue with the first series 2nd down play, I would have like to see maybe a bubble screen or maybe a flair pass to Monty or maybe a quick stop and comeback route on the outside. On 2nd down getting Hundley a completion even if it didn't produce a first down, instead of his first pass being on a 3rd and 2, and making that a tough touch pass for a cold QB.

Overall they ran the ball 7 times on first down out of 17 first down snaps.

MN defense wanted McCarthy to try passing they were going to be loaded in the box every down.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
6 years ago
Dang packfanwithtwins.....there you go AGAIN, using LOGIC!
Don't you know by now, there's no place for that in threads like this!🤣
UserPostedImage
musccy
6 years ago
We had no other active QB on the 46. Maybe he was trying to make sure we had a QB going forward this season. The pass pro. was horrendous.

Go ahead and come up with some explanation of how the HC/OC should have game planned for losing both tackles, their top guard, and their HOF QB in the middle of the game. Waste of keystrokes.

After the bye week, I think criticism of Mike McCarthy becomes more realistic. Hopefully both tackles are back, and they can actually game plan for Hundley. When you lose over 1/3 of your starting offense in the middle of the game, I get why it looks a little 5 pounds of dog shit in a 3 pound bag.
nerdmann
6 years ago

We had no other active QB on the 46. Maybe he was trying to make sure we had a QB going forward this season. The pass pro. was horrendous.

Go ahead and come up with some explanation of how the HC/OC should have game planned for losing both tackles, their top guard, and their HOF QB in the middle of the game. Waste of keystrokes.

After the bye week, I think criticism of Mike McCarthy becomes more realistic. Hopefully both tackles are back, and they can actually game plan for Hundley. When you lose over 1/3 of your starting offense in the middle of the game, I get why it looks a little 5 pounds of dog shit in a 3 pound bag.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

They were terrified to roll Hundley out for sure.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Mike Clemons talked to Mike McCarthy and coach said was trying to not get Brett Hundley killed with the play calls.

Let's remember that Aaron Rodgers had trouble with the starting OL in tact. What are you expecting the backup to do while his OL drops like flies?

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: musccy 

The best thing to do here is work backwards.

Our OL sucks, period. So what is the ONLY, the SINGLE path to offensive success? Correct, a true WCO passing game!

Let’s build a mythical pass rusher with the speed of Von Miller, the guile and power of Reggie White, the sheer hate of Deacon Jones and the height of Ed Jones. Now, if Hundley gets the ball out in 1.75 to 2.2 seconds, if Ulrick John can just get in his way, alter his path, slow him down as he gets run over; this mythical pass rusher will end the day with ZERO sacks and ZERO pressures. Ulrick will be transformed into a pass pro HOF tackle.

And guess what else happens here? It is IMPOSSIBLE for your QB to get hurt.

Given the OL was intact to start Minny game this part of the game plan may have been dialed down. But, GB kept 3 OLmen up, which means they feared the Tackles might not make the entire game and they lived this the previous 4 weeks. Mike McCarthy should have been able to resurrect this game plan instantly.

EVERY single play, every 4th down decision, every defensive play call needed to be geared toward getting Hundley reps in this quick release WCO. Throw 3 INCs, fine; it’s better than 2 crap runs and a pass running like a banshee and RISKING INJURY [If that’s your concern]. He had 10 drives, and when Hundley held the ball too long on drive #1, he could identified the problems and worked on them in #2, then refined in #3 and refined further in #4, and so forth.

My god Hundley threw a bullet to Cobb for a first; then and beautiful back shoulder to Jordy. He and Jordy saw the exact same thing, were on the exact same page...lets do it again, but this time Jordy fakes the out and runs a dig, I had such anticipation for this play. Nope a stupid run, followed by another stupid run and a punt.

It was a perfect teaching moment gone to crap only because Mike McCarthy was trying to win the game and coaching from a text book. Funny thing is, if he threw caution to the wind, said eff the run, we might have won.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

The best thing to do here is work backwards.

Our OL sucks, period. So what is the ONLY, the SINGLE path to offensive success? Correct, a true WCO passing game!

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

McCarthy's offense is not a WCO anymore.

So you want them to switch to something they haven't practiced? Rather than running the ball.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
6 years ago

McCarthy's offense is not a WCO anymore.

So you want them to switch to something they haven't practiced? Rather than running the ball.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

You think the game plan GB's run the last few weeks hasnt been practiced, source please or some intellectual support?

No, not instead of. You pass to open up the run.

And "not a WCO anymore;" WTF does that mean? There are no WCO plays in MM's playbook?

Monosyllabic meaningless stupid idiotic labels... Labels that are arbitrarily attached and then they block the mind to see anything else. The Geico Caveman is back 😂, Fire good...WCO gone. Numbchucks, fire can warm food and keep you alive in cold; but it can also burn down your clapboard shack or if you roll into it you die! 99% of things have a variety of characteristics, most, like fire, QB play or playbooks have a full range of characteristics.

There are more "WCO plays" in Mike McCarthy playbook than Walsch's had. Because of the OL, the play calling has CHANGED, it has EVOLVED, They have been practicing more of the shorter routes and implementing them in the game. The perfect example was the Bear game. 2.2 average and a handful of passes took 5-6-7-8 seconds. The mean time to hold the ball was closer to, maybe even below 2 seconds.

So, if WCO is holding you up; lets call it the TWMGO [Throat-Wobbler-Main-Grown Offense].
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
40m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.