nerdmann
6 years ago

Can I please get you on the record as saying "If Rodgers got rid of the ball 0.07 seconds earlier on average I would stop complaining about Rodgers not getting the ball out fast enough, as he'd be faster than most starters in the league at getting the ball out"? Or at least quantify what "getting the ball out" an acceptable rate actually means? I mean, it's easy taking a position that doesn't need to be beholden to real-world, measurable stimulti or to be able to throw our random tidbits like "it's well known that..." that aren't verifiable or quantifiable.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

A few years ago, Mike wanted him to get it out in under 2.5, iirc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

It's well known that Rodgers holds on to the ball longer than most. They discuss it on pregame shows as being "his game."

Here's another issue. How does Aaron's habit of holding the ball impact our OL? Wasn't Bakhtiari hurt when he fell and almost did the splits? Help these guys out man. Get the ball out.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Most years that is true... but I think due the OL being injury, Rodgers has changed his game and is getting the ball out much quicker for the most part this year.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago

how highly flawed almost every team is.

It's quite possible that there are simply too many teams in the league, and that the product on the field would be improved with some contraction. Offensive line play in particular seems subpar leaguewide. I'm not sure what the ideal number of teams would be, but it's probably a moot point anyway. I think we can all be confident that contraction won't be coming to the NFL any time soon.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

It's quite possible that there are simply too many teams in the league, and that the product on the field would be improved with some contraction. Offensive line play in particular seems subpar leaguewide. I'm not sure what the ideal number of teams would be, but it's probably a moot point anyway. I think we can all be confident that contraction won't be coming to the NFL any time soon.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

You have a point, but I'm not sure it's too many teams, or not enough coaching / training time.

In college a lot of teams are going to spread systems where offense lines are normally limited in what they're being asked to do, because they're expected to get the ball away quicker... and a lot of the pro systems are running teams. How many pro-set pass happy college teams are there out there?

Now with the New CBA, NFL practices are limited... making it harder to develop guys now then it used to be. I think this is where the problem is... young players need more development time and they aren't getting it.

The NFL really could use more practice time or a development league.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
What is worse is when the team lose then have fans shitting themselves over it.

Most teams will end up losing when they lose the starting all-pro QB early in the game and have to switch to backup. Then compound that with ending up with 3/5th of the Oline being backups or backups of backups. I am fairly pleased with the defense, they were put on the field with short fields more than a few times and held pretty well while also turning MN over putting our offense in position to score. Will see how the coaches are able to adjust to a different QB and how he will play when has a full week of preparation and snaps.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
6 years ago
Well, he hates Aaron Rodgers, so he has his "dream" now, of having Hundley in there.
I wonder how long it will take him to hate him?
Some of the "fans" here would have KILLED themselves if they had to live through the 1970's and 1980's like I did.

If you think the team sucks so much, go be a fan of some other team.
Between all the teams in our division, there are 5 total Super Bowl trophies.
We have 4, the Bears one, and none for the Vikings and Lions.
But WE shit ourselves.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

There are fewer kids getting into the pipeline to begin the process. That doesn't help the overall quality at the NFL level either.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago

Well, he hates Aaron Rodgers, so he has his "dream" now, of having Hundley in there.
I wonder how long it will take him to hate him?
Some of the "fans" here would have KILLED themselves if they had to live through the 1970's and 1980's like I did.

If you think the team sucks so much, go be a fan of some other team.
Between all the teams in our division, there are 5 total Super Bowl trophies.
We have 4, the Bears one, and none for the Vikings and Lions.
But WE shit ourselves.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I did live through the 70s and 80s.

No idea wtf you are talking about. This team looks sloppy and unprepared, regularly, even when they still win. Now our margin of error has decreased, suddenly we're supposed stop being sloppy? You do things the right way, all thhe time. Not just when you lose Aaron Rodgers.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Porforis
6 years ago

A few years ago, Mike wanted him to get it out in under 2.5, iirc.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Fine, 0.17 seconds faster on average.

Fun fact: only 4 QBs this year have averaged under 2.5. Brian Hoyer, Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler, and Derek Carr. Their teams are 0-6, 2-3, 3-2, and 2-4 respectively with the 20th, 18th, 32nd, and 26th ranked passing offenses. So if that's the sort of offense you'd be happy with... Well, that's what you're going to get for the rest of the year with your Super Bowl MVP Brett Huntley.

Bottom line: There is not a strong correlation between how long you hold onto the ball and offensive success. Those that are at the extreme low end of the spectrum tend to have non-effective offenses. The assertion that Rodgers holds onto the ball a meaningful amount more than other NFL quarterbacks is not rooted in reality, nor is the idea that doing so sabotages the team's success.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Fine, 0.17 seconds faster on average.

Fun fact: only 4 QBs this year have averaged under 2.5. Brian Hoyer, Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler, and Derek Carr. Their teams are 0-6, 2-3, 3-2, and 2-4 respectively with the 20th, 18th, 32nd, and 26th ranked passing offenses. So if that's the sort of offense you'd be happy with... Well, that's what you're going to get for the rest of the year with your Super Bowl MVP Brett Huntley.

Bottom line: There is not a strong correlation between how long you hold onto the ball and offensive success. Those that are at the extreme low end of the spectrum tend to have non-effective offenses. The assertion that Rodgers holds onto the ball a meaningful amount more than other NFL quarterbacks is not rooted in reality, nor is the idea that doing so sabotages the team's success.

The longer the QB can hold on to the ball the greater the odds are that one of his receivers gets open.

Short quick passes will I inevitably bring the coverage in closer and make it more difficult to complete a pass. Those that are completed will be for little yards.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (51m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.