PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
We have what we have for the next half dozen games or so. So what does McCarthy need to in order for the Packers to have a chance to win some games and have a chance for Rodgers to return for a playoff run?

Much of the common talk I hear is that he needs to keep a RB in the backfield and maybe 2TE to help block but I completely disagree. The more players he brings in close to the LOS, the more options defenses have on their blitzes and the harder it would be for Hundley to decipher who is coming.

I say spread Jordy, Devante, Cobb and Bennett away from the LOS. I don't believe defenses are going to leave straight man to man coverage so they will have 1 safety deep. that accounts for 5 defenders for 4 offensive players. With Monty/Adams in the backfield another defender won't be able to just blindly come after Hundley. It mostly leaves 5 rush options for 5 lineman. That makes it less about Hundley having to figure out the defense and more about executing in blocking by the oline.

As for play calling, It is time for McCarthy to get back to the high percentage offense and less about the big plays. Flair passes to RB in the flats so they are 1 on 1 with a LB. Shallow crosses, and come back routes.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
6 years ago

We have what we have for the next half dozen games or so. So what does McCarthy need to in order for the Packers to have a chance to win some games and have a chance for Rodgers to return for a playoff run?

Much of the common talk I hear is that he needs to keep a RB in the backfield and maybe 2TE to help block but I completely disagree. The more players he brings in close to the LOS, the more options defenses have on their blitzes and the harder it would be for Hundley to decipher who is coming.

I say spread Jordy, Devante, Cobb and Bennett away from the LOS. I don't believe defenses are going to leave straight man to man coverage so they will have 1 safety deep. that accounts for 5 defenders for 4 offensive players. With Monty/Adams in the backfield another defender won't be able to just blindly come after Hundley. It mostly leaves 5 rush options for 5 lineman. That makes it less about Hundley having to figure out the defense and more about executing in blocking by the oline.

As for play calling, It is time for McCarthy to get back to the high percentage offense and less about the big plays. Flair passes to RB in the flats so they are 1 on 1 with a LB. Shallow crosses, and come back routes.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Agreed, also with screens and traps to help these scrub linemen.

Get the ball out of Hundley's hands. Hundley is a pocket passer, hhe can run but he's not gonna tryto all the time.

Establish the run, but don't be predictable. I'd have to go back and look to be sure, but it really seemed like Mike was running the ball on first down every time. Usually second too. I mean, someone posted the first down plays were 7 runs out of 17 first downs. Is that accurate? Seems like most of those passes were later, when the Vikes went into prevent.

Aaron Jones should tote the rock. Send Kendricks down the seam. Kendricks and Rodgers, Rodgers is a shit blocker anyway. We will also need a deep threat from among the WRs. Monty, Davis or Janis, take your pick.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

Establish the run, but don't be predictable. I'd have to go back and look to be sure, but it really seemed like Mike was running the ball on first down every time. Usually second too. I mean, someone posted the first down plays were 7 runs out of 17 first downs. Is that accurate? Seems like most of those passes were later, when the Vikes went into prevent.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yes the number are accurate, The first 3 first down plays were runs. the last drive had a few first downs that were all passes because they were running out of time but over all the run pass mix wasn't bad. And is what you would expect when you have a cold QB and a line with 3 starters missing.

Spreading the defense out should make it easier to establish the run. What kills our run game more than anything is the stretch plays. We are terrible blocking them, defenses always beat our blockers to the spots. When we ran between the tackles last week we were at about 4 yards per carry. when they tried going outside we were <1 yard per.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Barfarn
6 years ago
Next man up, baby! NOTHING CHANGES…almost

Hundley is ½ year and 1 camp short of where Rodgers was when he started. Now, only a handful of QBs in history have’s Aaron's acumen, but if Hundley was way far behind, he’d already be gone [2nd rd pick Brian Brohm lasted 1 yr, 2 camps].

Hundley knows the playbook and will be able to make the one word/phrase call to switch the play from run to pass and Vice versa. So, if they stack the box 100% on 1st down; we pass 100% of 1st down. Hundley will know the hot reads, he should be able to recognize where the pressure is coming from, hit those when they blitz and then they’ll stop blitzing.

I’m assuming 3/5th of the OL will be a collection of neophytes and the walking wounded. Most of the Plays consist of both long and short routes; so Mike will have to call plays with a greater % of shorter routes. Hundley needs to hit those early reads or quickly get ball to valve or toss it away. For the longer routed plays, Hundley can roll out while the WRs are getting to their spots. And Mike can design some Hundley pretending to be standing in the pocket, while planning his “scramble.”

Hundley has to trust his accuracy. A guy open by a half step is covered with Sanchez at QB, open with Rodgers at QB. Hundley has to believe he’s Aaron and make those throws like the one he made to Cobb against Vikes.

Surely, he’ll be tricked more than Rodgers. The other thing Rodgers does unbelievably at LOS is completely rebuild the play after seeing the D alignment, then half way thru, the D shifts and he rebuilds play again resetting the protections, route and blocking schemes [Its extraordinary]. There is no way Hundley can do this; he shouldn’t even try, well unless he is a QB savant like Rodgers.
steveishere
6 years ago
Have to figure out a way to run the ball and play the quick game with Hundley or he will die. He doesn't have the lightning release that Rodgers does so if he doesn't start getting the ball out quick he's going to get obliterated. Ulrick freaking John and McCray aren't going to allow any QB in history besides Aaron Rodgers enough time to run a typical NFL offense.
nerdmann
6 years ago

Next man up, baby! NOTHING CHANGES…almost

Hundley is ½ year and 1 camp short of where Rodgers was when he started. Now, only a handful of QBs in history have’s Aaron's acumen, but if Hundley was way far behind, he’d already be gone [2nd rd pick Brian Brohm lasted 1 yr, 2 camps].

Hundley knows the playbook and will be able to make the one word/phrase call to switch the play from run to pass and Vice versa. So, if they stack the box 100% on 1st down; we pass 100% of 1st down. Hundley will know the hot reads, he should be able to recognize where the pressure is coming from, hit those when they blitz and then they’ll stop blitzing.

I’m assuming 3/5th of the OL will be a collection of neophytes and the walking wounded. Most of the Plays consist of both long and short routes; so Mike will have to call plays with a greater % of shorter routes. Hundley needs to hit those early reads or quickly get ball to valve or toss it away. For the longer routed plays, Hundley can roll out while the WRs are getting to their spots. And Mike can design some Hundley pretending to be standing in the pocket, while planning his “scramble.”

Hundley has to trust his accuracy. A guy open by a half step is covered with Sanchez at QB, open with Rodgers at QB. Hundley has to believe he’s Aaron and make those throws like the one he made to Cobb against Vikes.

Surely, he’ll be tricked more than Rodgers. The other thing Rodgers does unbelievably at LOS is completely rebuild the play after seeing the D alignment, then half way thru, the D shifts and he rebuilds play again resetting the protections, route and blocking schemes [Its extraordinary]. There is no way Hundley can do this; he shouldn’t even try, well unless he is a QB savant like Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

That's one thing imo Hundley needed to develop, accuracy, in particular with his deep ball.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago
Game plan needs to be for the OL to protect the QB.

If they can protect Hundley, I think he can make plays... at least against non-elite defenses.

Aaron Jones shined against the worst run stopping team we have faced. Now it's time for Hundley to shine with the worst pass defense team we have faced.

Of course shining doesn't mean winning if they don't have any healthy CBs to attempt to hang with Drew Brees.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago
New Orleans may be the worst pass defense in the league in terms of yards, but that same defense is giving up the fewest points in the league, which doesn't bode well for Green Bay, because unless things turn around dramatically, points are going to be in short supply for the next few weeks.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
The Packers go 5 wide all day long !
By the end of the game Brett Hundley will be known as THE STAT WHORE KING!!!

Why the hell not?
Most have already written off the season!

Might as well make it entertaining!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Despite what everyone is thinking, Mike will assess what he has as far as who is playing on the O-line, then go from there.

The installs have already been made, now it's just the matter of adjusting to what is happening on the field.

I have a sneaky feeling we will finally see a Jeff Janis reverse, guaranteed TD! 😁

The Packers will win if they win the turnover battle! Period!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
isocleas2
6 years ago
The Saints defense is known for gambling they'll blitz often and try to force turnovers. Usually the best way to beat that is running away from the blitz, or if your running game sucks getting creative with screens/draws/short passes.

The WRs should get alot of 1v1 looks when they send extra guys hopefully McCarthy has a few plays drawn up to beat them over the top when they do.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.