wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Packers' defense has gone from bad to ... still bad

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

Oh oh. Someone's being negative about the Packers. He must be a bad person. It's all because of injuries. It all because of bad people. It's not Ted's fault. It's not Mike's fault. It's not Dom's fault. It is not the players' fault. 🙄

This defense has been bad, not poor but bad year after year after year. They have burnt a lot of draft picks and still they can't elevate the defense to a reasonable level of competence.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
Packers’ situational stats on defense are unacceptable 

But there becomes a time when excuses are no longer acceptable. In week seven, Green Bay’s defense was about as healthy as it has been all season (only missing one starter in Morgan Burnett). Although New Orleans has a strong offensive attack, the unit still allowed 485 yards of total offense and broke down at key moments. A couple of turnovers each game won’t be able to offset the issue of situational defense.

And the situational defensive numbers, ones that are among the most significant and influential to the outcome of a game, speak for themselves.

Simply look at the percentage of three-and-outs forced by the Packers’ defense. According to Football Outsiders, Green Bay ranks 29th in the league at forcing such series, doing on on just 16.7% of all drives. Green Bay didn’t fare much better last season when it finished 30th in the league with a 17.4% three-and-out rate. The eye test and stat lines agree: Green Bay has been prone to allowing extensive drives. Not only do they tire out the defense later in the game and allow the opponent to drive into scoring position, they negatively impact the battle for field position from an offensive perspective.

When the defense is allowing a 41.9% overall third down conversion rate like it is this season (which is actually slightly improved from an alarming 43.1% last season), not being able to make the initial three-play stop becomes an even bigger issue. The past two seasons, the Packers have been in the bottom ten of the league in this category. And it doesn’t end there. Longer drives are allowing opponents deeper into Green Bay territory to the point they are willing to go for fourth-and-manageable opportunities even when Green Bay is able to hold on third down. The Packers are dead last in this category as well, giving up a whopping 85.7% conversion rate on fourth downs so far this season.

Of course, the inability to get off the field has translated to a poor percentage of punts. Last season, Green Bay only forced punts on roughly a third (35%) of opponents’ drives, a stat that ranked the team 29th in the NFL. This season hasn’t been much more friendly to the Green Bay defense, ranking 29th once again with a 36.1% punt per drive rate. It’s difficult for the Packers to win time of possession with these numbers.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, when a defense is failing to prevent long drives and force punts, it is doomed to allow red zone possessions. In the “bend but don’t break” defensive world, a team can still come out victorious if it holds the opponent to field goals. Unfortunately, Green Bay hasn’t been able to do so, a fact we discussed earlier this season.

Nearly midway through the season, Green Bay finds itself 31st and 32nd in the NFL in key red zone categories. The Packers have allowed touchdowns on 73.7% of opponents’ red zone drives, which is ahead of only the winless Cleveland Browns. Meanwhile, they have given up an NFL-worst 5.95 points per visit inside the 20. Again, Green Bay’s defense just cannot get off the field at critical times.

There's another comparison to Cleveland again. How dare they. Don't they know THIS IS THE GREEN BAY PACKERS?

Seriously there are so many issues with this team that need to be addressed. It's far more than injuries. I don't a new DC and one season with higher draft picks can fix it.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
I've been saying these things for multiple years always labeled negative and having my fandom questioned. Those who think I'm happy to see the Packers down never understood in the first place. I'm just happy to receive some absolution. It's nice to finally be validated after all the insults thrown my way and how I didn't even know football.

Now, perhaps, we may FINALLY have the cult like spell broken once and for all and get the real change of direction this franchise desperately needs.

Yes...stuff like this thrills me and leaves me hopeful we won't waste anymore 12 years as they're dwindling.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
6 years ago
Still more worried about the Oline.

Most defenses struggle when ToP is heavily weighted against them. Most defenses also struggle when injuries pile up. Could they be better? Sure, but I don't blame them for this recent loss.

If you wanna replace Dom, I wouldn't object strenuously. Just get somebody good.

The miscommunications that never end and the 10 guys in the field are embarrassing.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while
you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
6 years ago
Just because some writer says we have problems doesn't mean the guys at Lanbeau Field will admit it and do something to fix it. Mike McCarthy will just keep saying "we will fix it" and nothing will change until the higher ups yank him and Ted Thompson off their feet.
Until then it will be the same old same old, I'm afraid.
UserPostedImage
gotarace
6 years ago
So were complacent having the 22nd ranked Defense year after year. Every team has injury and plays through it but our second guys up never seem ready when their number is called. The top heavy defensive drafting we have been doing hasn't yielded the results necessary to look like a average defense at best. This falls on two heads...TT and Dom Capers and I'm ready to see one or both heads roll during or after this season. Defense wins championships and ours has been Sub-Par for much too long.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
nerdmann
6 years ago

So were complacent having the 22nd ranked Defense year after year. Every team has injury and plays through it but our second guys up never seem ready when their number is called. The top heavy defensive drafting we have been doing hasn't yielded the results necessary to look like a average defense at best. This falls on two heads...TT and Dom Capers and I'm ready to see one or both heads roll during or after this season. Defense wins championships and ours has been Sub-Par for much too long.

Originally Posted by: gotarace 

Dom is (apparently?) considered a "genius" on league circles. Problem is, his defense is highhly complex and technical. Meanwhile, Ted's circulating guys in who are mostly on their first contracts, still learning the game. This is of particular concern with the DBs, imo.

It's just not a synergistic fit, imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while
you do them right all the time.”
hardrocker950
6 years ago

I've been saying these things for multiple years always labeled negative and having my fandom questioned. Those who think I'm happy to see the Packers down never understood in the first place. I'm just happy to receive some absolution. It's nice to finally be validated after all the insults thrown my way and how I didn't even know football.

Now, perhaps, we may FINALLY have the cult like spell broken once and for all and get the real change of direction this franchise desperately needs.

Yes...stuff like this thrills me and leaves me hopeful we won't waste anymore 12 years as they're dwindling.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Myself, I am hopeful that if there is more light shed on the glaring issues with no Aaron to cover them up - it will be a focal point of improvement. I don't care if it comes in the form of better GM work, better coaching, or some fresh faces - it is obvious that we should expect better.
Cheesey
6 years ago
Capers defense doesn't work. At least not here.
And Mike McCarthy hasn't shown any ability to coach these guys. Without Aaron, to cover his weaknesses that is.

We won a Super Bowl despite Mike McCarthy and Ted. At least that's the way it seems.
I have backed Ted in the past, and Mike McCarthy too. But the glaring weakness we see now since Rodgers got hurt, shows the lack of the coaching staff to make a game plan that fits who is behind center.
This past games really opened my eyes. Mike McCarthy had no idea what he was doing.

The 3rd down and one when he chose to throw a pass when we were gashing the Saints on the ground, shows how dumb he really is.
And not "fixing" it at half time shows how he can't deal with this situation.
We have a bad defense, and now, no offense to bail them out.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (5h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (8h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (11h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (12h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (22h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? đŸ„ș I think that means you missed more than half of them 😱
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead đŸ€Ș
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comℱ. All Rights Reserved.