Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
Heard on the radio yesterday that Papa John's pizza is ending it's run with the NFL because of loss of sales due to the NFL players protests.
So the protest is doing 2 things.....losing revenue for the NFL AND it's backers.
Wonder if the NFL will do something NOW that it's affecting their pockets?
I think this also shows just how fed up the majority of American citizens are with the whole protest garbage.
I wonder who else will jump ship?
And how it will affect commercial prices during the next Super Bowl? There may not be as many companies willing to dole out that kind of money to an enterprise that they don't agree with.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
Domino's or Pizza Hut will be most pleased to step into Poppa Jon's space .

? Will Payton Manning be jumping ship as well ?

UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago

Domino's or Pizza Hut will be most pleased to step into Poppa Jon's space .

? Will Payton Manning be jumping ship as well ?

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Hopefully. Kind of sick of the Nationwide ads like 3 years ago.
beast
6 years ago

Heard on the radio yesterday that Papa John's pizza is ending it's run with the NFL because of loss of sales due to the NFL players protests.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

So you heard some fake news? Yeah it stinks but most news today seems partly fake. As of right now Papa John has not ended their relationship with the NFL.

Papa John's are just complaining about the NFL letting their sales drop and are taking the NFL logo off their commercials... in what some are claiming (and I don't know if this is true) a Jerry Jones led attack on the NFL... As Jones reportedly is trying to get Roger Goodell fired, Ezekiel Elliott suspension thrown out, and an NFL rule forcing players to stand (again, that's just a claim, I don't know if there is proof or not).

But Jerry Jones and John Schnatter ("Papa John") are business friends and have had a working relationship as Jones has invested into Papa Johns starting in 2004 and has continued to grow. In 2014, Jerry Jones was said to own more than 100 of the Papa Johns then, which based on statista.com  is at least 3% (maybe more) of the entire Papa John's US stores.

So clearly Jerry Jones could have some influence with Papa Johns as he owns at least 3% of the US stores and has been a huge part of the promotion in Texas and maybe their entire NFL promotions which is what Jerry Jones does best.

Will Payton Manning be jumping ship as well ?

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I doubt it, because part of the Peyton Manning deal was that he'd get to own some of the Papa John stores and he owns 21 Papa John stores in the Denver areas (and who knows he might of bought more since).

But this is part of the trend to not just promote a product, but invest into the product before your promote it, and then promote it raising the value of your investment. Buy low, promote it, then someday sell high.

Hopefully. Kind of sick of the Nationwide ads like 3 years ago.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Yes, I'm very tired of the Nationwide ads... I think I might avoid them just because their ads annoy me... same with Geico at this point.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago

Yes, I'm very tired of the Nationwide ads... I think I might avoid them just because their ads annoy me... same with Geico at this point.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I avoid GEICO because they DOUBLED my rates after a single ticket (Speeding, 5-10 over) - to over a grand for six months with two vehicles (one worth like $2000, the other low to mid end, like 2 years old), and when I called to ask what happened I got 5 minutes of non-answers (No, "rates went up in your area" doesn't result in ~$1100 more per year) followed by an explanation that they couldn't do anything. Which is a pity, because I originally went with them because they were super easy to work with when I was with another company and one of their drivers injured me in an accident he was at fault for (I didn't have medical on my plan). Treated me better when I wasn't their customer than when I was.

Anyways, mostly back on topic - I made the mistake of chiming in on a facebook post about this (Idiotic, right?) where a bunch of people were calling Papa John's pizza shit, and I posed the honest question if there was another national pizza delivery chain that was better. The closest thing to a consensus I could get was Dominos, which to be fair I haven't had since their refresh like 5-8 years ago.

What does everybody think about Papa John's pizza - all politics aside? Clearly, it's not great pizza and any take & bake or sit-in place will be as good or likely better. But as far as delivery goes, what widespread delivery options are better?
beast
6 years ago

I avoid GEICO because they DOUBLED my rates after a single ticket (Speeding, 5-10 over) - to over a grand for six months with two vehicles (one worth like $2000, the other low to mid end, like 2 years old), and when I called to ask what happened I got 5 minutes of non-answers (No, "rates went up in your area" doesn't result in ~$1100 more per year) followed by an explanation that they couldn't do anything. Which is a pity, because I originally went with them because they were super easy to work with when I was with another company and one of their drivers injured me in an accident he was at fault for (I didn't have medical on my plan). Treated me better when I wasn't their customer than when I was.

Yeah I have a general rules of not full trusting companies that advertise the most, because in reality, they're wasting a lot of money on commercials, which in some way, shape or form, they pass onto the customers... either by charging more or giving cheaper service per dollar.

I posed the honest question if there was another national pizza delivery chain that was better. The closest thing to a consensus I could get was Dominos, which to be fair I haven't had since their refresh like 5-8 years ago.

What does everybody think about Papa John's pizza - all politics aside? Clearly, it's not great pizza and any take & bake or sit-in place will be as good or likely better. But as far as delivery goes, what widespread delivery options are better?

To be fair, I haven't had Dominos since they recreated their sauce (and whatever else) either... but back in the day, it was HORRIBLE. It tasted like cardboard with cheese on top. Growing up for me there were only 3 types of bad pizzas, 1) Pizza with fish 2) One of the type of school pizza 3) Dominos. But again, they redid their sauce and I haven't tried the new recreated Dominos, though I've heard some people say it's much better than the old Dominos sauce but still under average.

Papa Johns is my favorite pizza. I carryout as the local one isn't far away (plus they have much better deals for carryout). Back in the early 2000s, I lived near a Papa Johns place which had a cook that would just add their buttery garlic extra sauce straight into the tomato sauce and that was the best having it under the cheese and evenly sauce with each bite. But since I moved, they've always just put the garlic sauce on the side and it's just not the same putting it on top, so I save it and use it as an extra add in for soup or topping on something else.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Anyways, mostly back on topic - I made the mistake of chiming in on a facebook post about this (Idiotic, right?) where a bunch of people were calling Papa John's pizza shit, and I posed the honest question if there was another national pizza delivery chain that was better. The closest thing to a consensus I could get was Dominos, which to be fair I haven't had since their refresh like 5-8 years ago.

You should have called me. I am licensed in WI as well as IL. Just getting my MN too. 😉 Of course I have no idea if the companies I use are competitive in your area.

I have no idea which of the national chains has good pizza. There are none in my town. The local Pizza Hut closed because no one liked their product. I insure several pizza places so there is no need for me to look elsewhere.

As for Papa J withdrawing their ads, everything is cyclical. They were doing nothing on a national scale 10 years ago. Then the dipped their toe in the water and saw a bump in sales. They got Manning as a spoke person and the sales increased. They went hog wild and saturated the tv with Manning, etal commercials, people grew tired of them and sales dropped off. It wasn't as if the general consumer was losing out on a great pizza. After things cool off a bit they will be back in a few years. People's memories are pretty short. They will forget how lousy the pizza really is. They will love getting a $5 cardboard pizza instead of paying for a real one. Especially if they have a group over to watch a game. When they are alone people will want the better quality but when they have to share with neighbors, screw them.

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago
Who cares?

And it's estimated 10,000 boycotted the Dodgers' opener in 1947 when Jackie Robinson started his first game.

Branch Rickey didn't care. He said he had no intention of adjusting his product to cater to this type of fan and neither will the NFL.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
What does Jackie Robinson have to do with this? (In case you don't know, NOTHING!!!)
"Fake news?" I heard it on the Bill Michaels ( the Big Unit) sports talk show. He's not one to put out fake stuff.
Anyway, I think the vast majority of people are tired of this whole protest. After all, all but a few people shot by police get shot because of something they themselves did that made the cops shoot.
Plus the fact of what I have been saying all along, that black on black murder happens every day, and there's no outrage over that fact.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

"Fake news?" I heard it on the Bill Michaels ( the Big Unit) sports talk show. He's not one to put out fake stuff.

You're the one claiming Bill Michaels is saying the fake stuff, not me.

I'm simply pointing out that, as of when the thread started, that Papa John's has NOT ended their relationship with the NFL like the thread is implying. And the thread implying that Papa John's has ended their relationship with the NFL have is false/fake/wrong, no matter who said it (even if they have a big unit). For those that are interested, here is a Fact check from snopes.com  of what really has happened so far, note where is says "Papa John's says they have not ended their advertising relationship with the NFL nor withdrawn their commercials from televised NFL games", they're simply removing the NFL logo and "official sponsor" message.

Anyway, I think the vast majority of people are tired of this whole protest. After all, all but a few people shot by police get shot because of something they themselves did that made the cops shoot.
Plus the fact of what I have been saying all along, that black on black murder happens every day, and there's no outrage over that fact.

The vast majority are tired of the political BS from ALL SIDES, which include you attempting to blast the other side with this thread.

Which also might help explain why Papa John's sales are lower than expected, as Papa John has been making more and more public with his political statements, which upset some customers and they spend their money elsewhere. Same thing happened with Chick-fil-A when their owner made a number of political statements, sales went down as customers went elsewhere, and that had little to nothing to do with the NFL.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.