Megatron
15 years ago
When you consider the likes of Stafford, Oher, Monroe, Raji, J.Smith, Orakpo, Curry, Crabtree will all probably be taken by the time we reach our no.9 pick, I believe that it is a no-brainer and we will draft Malcolm Jenkins. I think teams will be picky over his 40 times and downgrade him causing him to fall to us.

People seem to put too much stock in his 40 times but the fact is he is NOT slow. You got to remember that this is football not a track meet. When you look at the footballing skills he is one of the best.

the nfl.com combine profile says:

There isn't much NFL scouts don't like about Jenkins. Athletic, intelligent and consistent, Jenkins surprised many when he elected to return for his senior season despite a first-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee in 2008. The three-time first-team All-Big Ten pick and two-time All-American improved his overall consistency, winning the Thorpe Award as the nation's elite defensive back as a senior. A shutdown cornerback who intercepted 11 passes over the past three years, Jenkins was effective at cutting the field in half and sometimes moved him to free safety to generate big plays. A first-round caliber prospect at safety or cornerback, Jenkins' consistent play and versatility should land him a spot in the draft's Top 10.

Athletic, intelligent, versatile and consistent. That is exactly what you want in ANY NFL player.

A shutdown cornerback who intercepted 11 passes over the past three years, Jenkins was effective at cutting the field in half and sometimes moved him to free safety to generate big plays.

Sounds like a guy who teams were forced to game plan for him. There is a reason why teams don't throw often to his side of the field. That kind of talent you have to consider very seriously. The NFL is a passing league. If you force teams to game plan against your corners/safeties...you will already have the edge over passing teams and force them to run the ball more often. Added to the fact that he is versatile, It could help Capers set up certain looks/formations and make it very hard for teams to game plan against us.
Ted Thompson said it doesn't matter if the 1st pick is not a starter straight away as long he has genuine footballing talent and will come in and produce eventually like Rodgers (but in a shorter time frame of course). Collins is no sure thing to re-sign and it would be good to have a good safety already in place to replace him if it happens. All good 3-4 teams have good safeties- Polomalu, Harrison and Reed to name but a few. He will add better quality depth which is important because injuries happens all the time and you want to be able to bring in a player without causing any major drop off in playing quality.

Jenkins is a leader, has the size and talent to be the cornerstone of our defence for years to come. Who knows maybe he will be good enough at cornerback to replace Harris or even Woodson eventually and prove everyone wrong about him being too slow for CB.

If you want to know how he compares to the top safeties in the draft, using the combine times, his 40 times is remarkably similar to Delmas and Chung. Most importantly are the 10 yrd split and cone times which indicates sudden movement and agility to change direction quickly.

Jenkins-
40 yards: 4.51
10 yard split: 1.47
Cone: 6.59

Delmas-
40 yards: 4.52
10 yard split: 1.53
Cone: 6.67

Chung-
40 yards: 4.49
10 yrd split: 1.49
Cone: N/A

As you can see there's not alot of difference between the three so you shouldn't have to worry about if he can play safety or not.

The point is we want to improve the QUALITY of our defence, if he doesn't start that doesn't matter. He will provide quality depth and will eventually get the starting spot within a year or two regardless whether it is at corner or at safety. I think he would be an extremely safe pick and best player available at no.9. There would be plenty of OLB and OT to be found in the 2nd and 3rd round so i would not be worried about taking Jenkins with our 1st pick.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I have to say no, don't take him. Not because he isn't good, but because the secondary is probably the strongest area on the team.

Right now we have 6 starting DBs. Woody, Harris, Williams, Bigby, Rouse and Collins. Then there is the potential of Lee, and now Smith.

To a point I agree that a player does not need to start right away. But that player needs to be learning in a position of need. It is not like there are not going to be players, that fit a need are good, and will be able to fit the system.

I have to say, no to Jenkins, no to Crabtree.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Megatron
15 years ago
He would be an upgrade over Rouse don't you think? Collins and Bigby are free agents next season so it's important to be prepared for that.

Even Harris is getting old and Jenkins could prove everyone wrong and be an elite corner.

I think he would be hard to pass up.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
If they don't fix the Dline pass and run game, and get the LBers back to being aggressive, you could put Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green and Deion all on the field and they would still get beat.

The team needs Dline so bad IMO that they cannot afford to look to the future at CB or S, it needs to fix the line now. at #9 there will be a player that fits the BPA at a place of need.
Megatron
15 years ago
Raji will probably be gone by the time we reach no.9 and there is a large drop off for quality NT. We won't find a one at a good value until late 3rd-5th round. Pickett will be serviceable starter and rotate with a backup NT until we find a top quality player in future drafts/free agency.

3-4 DE's there seem to be a few around such as Hood, Gilbert, Jackson, Moala, Jean-Francis, Pedescleaux to name but a few. But how many of them are elite? like 9th pick quality?

I feel we will address DE in free agency. I think we haven't finished yet. I believe we are still interested in Carter and will provide us quality and durability for a season or two. That makes the need to improve at DE less of a priority in the draft.

Not every position will be addressed straight away, it will take time. It would be a crime to ignore an elite player over someone who fills a need. It better to have a top player than have lots of average players.

Jenkins is potentially elite and is a good pick at this point in the draft.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Hey, if they fill needs of the Dline and Oline in FA then I won't have a problem. But if we end up with the Dline basically being Jenkins Pickett Harrell and Jolly and have Malcom Jenkins sitting 3rd of 4th on the depth in the secondary.

You will know who to blame when Ted wakes up and his house if floating in Lake Michigan with him in it.

Just saw this.

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com

Representatives from 29 NFL teams were in Columbus on Friday for Ohio State's pro day, as a number of Buckeyes hoped to improve their marks from the combine.

Defensive back Malcolm Jenkins did not improve and ran poorly again. Jenkins' 40 times ranged between 4.46-4.53 seconds on the Buckeyes' super-fast track. Usually, .07-.1 seconds are added to the times from the Ohio State pro day because of the fast surface. After the workout, Jenkins seemed resigned that he'll likely make the move to safety in the NFL, saying he'll take at it as a positive.

Running back Beanie Wells showed marked improvement Friday. The big ball carrier had stop watches reading from 4.34-4.46 seconds before any adjustments were made. Wells said he worked hard since the combine to get his time down. He told the media after workout he stayed up as late as 10 p.m. some evenings to work on his start to knock off precious tenths.

Three-time Al-American linebacker James Laurinaitis ran uninspired times between 4.68-4.78 seconds, while wide receiver Brian Robiskie was in the 4.5-second range.

Packers_Finland
15 years ago

Raji will probably be gone by the time we reach no.9 and there is a large drop off for quality NT. We won't find a one at a good value until late 3rd-5th round. Pickett will be serviceable starter and rotate with a backup NT until we find a top quality player in future drafts/free agency.

3-4 DE's there seem to be a few around such as Hood, Gilbert, Jackson, Moala, Jean-Francis, Pedescleaux to name but a few. But how many of them are elite? like 9th pick quality?

I feel we will address DE in free agency. I think we haven't finished yet. I believe we are still interested in Carter and will provide us quality and durability for a season or two. That makes the need to improve at DE less of a priority in the draft.

Not every position will be addressed straight away, it will take time. It would be a crime to ignore an elite player over someone who fills a need. It better to have a top player than have lots of average players.

Jenkins is potentially elite and is a good pick at this point in the draft.

"Megatron" wrote:

Ron Brace is an NT in the second round, and he would be a great pick. Also at ninth, I think we should take an OT, but if we take a DE, Tyson Jackson and Peria Jerry (Jerry converts from a 4-3 DT).
This is a placeholder
Dulak
15 years ago

Ron Brace is an NT in the second round, and he would be a great pick. Also at ninth, I think we should take an OT, but if we take a DE, Tyson Jackson and Peria Jerry (Jerry converts from a 4-3 DT).

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

I'd be happy if we grabbed jenkins at the #9 spot and would consider him a steal at that.

Although if we can grab a OT (other then andre - ya I dont like him) I'd actually prefer a OT ... ya I know boring - but if a guy can help keep rodgers healthy and help our run game; I'm all for it.
But I have a feeling andre will be the only 'good' OT available and I really dont want us to nab him.

I'm not that gung-ho about raji - now granted him might be decent as a backup to pickett but as you mentioned pack-finland theres a few other guys out there that can also fit the bill - ie brace

I also really like jackson; not at the 9 spot but I wouldnt mind it if we traded with another team for 2 picks like a lower first and a 2nd or something.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.