beast
6 years ago

People severely overvalue practice and preseason snaps. Out of actual games, he's actually improved a bit - but considering how conservative the playcalling was his first game

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Was the playcalling conservative or where they (including Hundley) attempting to run Hundley's college offensive systems to make him comfortable? Hundley's college system involved getting the ball out quickly with a TON of short passes (lots of screen passes, tons of passes less than 5 yards down field) and letting the WRs do all the work...

Even when the offense was opened up, Hundley KEPT trying to run his college offense with hitting every single check down even if someone got open down the field. The over load on short passes is on Hundley more than the play caller. But Hundley has SERIOUSLY improved since the Saints game... of course... not one single throw gave me hope in the Saints game, so it almost had to go up... and he's still has a ton of work to do.

My biggest problem is Hundley's unwillingness to trust his pocket even when the OL does a great job on a couple of setting protection on a couple of plays... I'm just not sure that in today's non-hitting practices that you can teach a guy courage in the pocket.

The rest of the stuff (in theory) is fixable... stop projecting throws, get the ball out when a WR first gets open, adjust your throw to get a little more power on the deep throws.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago

Was the playcalling conservative or where they (including Hundley) attempting to run Hundley's college offensive systems to make him comfortable? Hundley's college system involved getting the ball out quickly with a TON of short passes (lots of screen passes, tons of passes less than 5 yards down field) and letting the WRs do all the work...

Originally Posted by: beast 

To me that's the same thing as conservative playcalling. Everyone in the world knows Hundley's college offense wouldn't be successful in the NFL and even if it were - That's not the game the rest of the offense is used to playing. So either there's a learning curve for one player, or a learning curve for 10+. That's playcalling afraid to have the guy you're publicly backing make mistakes. Which is exactly what he needed to do. On his first game.

Also, people keep saying he looks great in practice. What, are they having him run his college offense in practice? Highly doubt it.

Even when the offense was opened up, Hundley KEPT trying to run his college offense with hitting every single check down even if someone got open down the field. The over load on short passes is on Hundley more than the play caller. But Hundley has SERIOUSLY improved since the Saints game... of course... not one single throw gave me hope in the Saints game, so it almost had to go up... and he's still has a ton of work to do.

My biggest problem is Hundley's unwillingness to trust his pocket even when the OL does a great job on a couple of setting protection on a couple of plays... I'm just not sure that in today's non-hitting practices that you can teach a guy courage in the pocket.

The rest of the stuff (in theory) is fixable... stop projecting throws, get the ball out when a WR first gets open, adjust your throw to get a little more power on the deep throws.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I agree with pretty much all of these minus the bolded bit. But yeah that's why I wish they would have playcalled just like they did against the Ravens against the Saints, or at least the Lions. Get him into the system, don't throw everyone else out of whack. Don't give him a bunch of short options and only one long option. Make him a bit uncomfortable, let him move the ball and make mistakes, then take the bye and the week after the game to start working on those mistakes.
Smokey
6 years ago
From what I've seen of Hundley , he appears to have happy feet . Instead of stepping up into the pocket and trusting his protection , he flees as we have seen Rodgers do so often , but he is not Aaron Rodgers . Unless he can change , he's going to get hurt too .
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

From what I've seen of Hundley , he appears to have happy feet . Instead of stepping up into the pocket and trusting his protection , he flees as we have seen Rodgers do so often , but he is not Aaron Rodgers . Unless he can change , he's going to get hurt too .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

You remember that old school electric football game where players slid all over the field? That's what I think of when I watch Brett Hundley in the pocket.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Get him into the system, don't throw everyone else out of whack. Don't give him a bunch of short options and only one long option. Make him a bit uncomfortable, let him move the ball and make mistakes, then take the bye and the week after the game to start working on those mistakes.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

They're doing what your saying already...

There are long options... Hundley just rarely if ever takes them. They're doing what your saying already, and Hundley just doesn't see the long routes when they're open... and if he does (as the announcer suggested at least once against the Ravens, he's failing to pull the trigger)

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

You remember that old school electric football game where players slid all over the field? That's what I think of when I watch Brett Hundley in the pocket.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Oh, what memories of electronic football...the worst game invention of all time! That little card of rubber footballs that you had to affix to the plastic figures and had to be careful not to split in half.

In that pic you shared, looks like all of them must've been split in half and someone dug something that looks like it may have come from my belly button and stuffed it in there for a backup football.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
6 years ago

It's either this or that...to even begin with this moronic monosyllabic pseudo-journalisitc bullshit; it must begin with the assumption that every QB that has not been inducted into the HOF after his 4 games is a worthless POS.

I say lets show Rams some tape of Goff's first 4 games last year and pick him up for a conditional 6th.

One huge difference between Rodgers and Hundley sitting on the bench for 2 years is that the CBA now allows about 1/3 the practice time the '05-08 CBA did. Rodgers probably got 10x the # of practice reps Hundley got as a BU.

Hundley's 1st 3 drives were pretty good; but for 2 INTs.

Hundley's first INT was over prep. Smith let Adams go. Cobb was the correct read and Hundley knew he'd be open; if only Smith played his position correctly. This is where most of Rodgers' INTs come from. Its hard to practice a play repeatedly, develop a mental memory of what to do and then the D does something stupid. The only way to over come your preparation in these cases is to experience.

His 2nd INT he had a big play, Kendricks got behind Weddle, Hundley just didn't get his feet set making it more likely for the ball to slip as he threw, after running for his life with crap OL play. This over anxiousness simply has to be worked out under fire.

Bart Starr started one game as a rookie and had 38 other attempts. In his first 4 starts of his 2nd year GB was 1-3 and Starr had 6 INT...Should have cut the bum, right?

In Favre's 3rd year [after starting 13 in his 2nd season] in his first 4 starts GB was 1-3 Favre had 5 INTs. Should have cut his bum too, right?

Now let's apply the Silver[stein]fish theory and declare stupid and Il-prepared yahoo coaches, Lombardi and Holmgren!

Again the world is shown how emotional and stupid the GB "fan" is. Have some god damn pride; learn your god damn history, and most of all grow fucking up. This isn't like when the "ultra- oft" packer fan was playing with his Barbie and Ken dolls in his 13 YO mental nirvana. Adults adjust their expectations to reality.

Edit: Beast didn't see your post! Okay, yea, let's talk about stuff like that, I didn't think of that so wasn't looking for it in the partial review I've done on Hundleys's play. That's interesting, I'll look!

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I agree, the main problem with Hundley is over anxiousness.

In fact, he seems to settle down and play better in the 4th quarter of games, except this week he was running for his life, because Spriggs was a turnstile against Suggs.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
6 years ago

Oh, what memories of electronic football...the worst game invention of all time! That little card of rubber footballs that you had to affix to the plastic figures and had to be careful not to split in half.

In that pic you shared, looks like all of them must've been split in half and someone dug something that looks like it may have come from my belly button and stuffed it in there for a backup football.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Rubber? The ones I remember were more like thick felt, more like the stuff you would find in a belly button.

I think 99% of all electric football games ended the same way. After about 10 or 15 minutes of pure frustration in trying to actually have fun you just put all the players together in one mass in the center, turned the control to the max and laughed your ass off while the players bounced all over hell. When the last one tipped over you did it all again two or three more times then threw it all in the box and stuffed it back in the closet.
uffda udfa
6 years ago
I remember the felt coating but I'm pretty sure they were rubber.

We used to stick other things on the board and watch them dance like crazy.

Looking back, I have no idea why anyone ever bought one of those. Had the internet been around someone would've alerted everyone to how awful that game was.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.