KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
Was it just me, or did Spriggs play his second decent game in a row. I know they were giving him help, but his blocking, especially on the run, seemed to be vastly improved over the pre-IR version. Also, the line seems to be sticking with blocks longer. Perhaps when they sense there is are RB's who can make things happen, they are more motivated to sustain blocks.....thoughts?
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Porforis
6 years ago

Was it just me, or did Spriggs play his second decent game in a row. I know they were giving him help, but his blocking, especially on the run, seemed to be vastly improved over the pre-IR version. Also, the line seems to be sticking with blocks longer. Perhaps when they sense there is are RB's who can make things happen, they are more motivated to sustain blocks.....thoughts?

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I feel like we've had a RB that can make things happen pretty consistently for years, why the change now? I am glad to see we almost never run those slow-developing outside runs anymore that we almost always get tackled for a loss for. Running it down their throat seems to be working, hopefully we stick with it.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
We are a passing team typically so they spend most of their time pass blocking. Now When they plan to run more, practice to run more, and actually do run more, offensive lineman get better at run blocking.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
beast
6 years ago

Perhaps when they sense there is are RB's who can make things happen, they are more motivated to sustain blocks.....thoughts?

Saints starting Center said he learned the hard way that their rookie RB doesn't go down easily... because I guess as an OL, you pull up when you think a guy is going to go down to not get pulled for playing past the whistle on a block... but he pulled up and got NAILED... because the RB would be fighting for extra yardage and so they had to fight for longer (same with pass protection when you got a good mobile QB)

That in theory could very well be true for Williams. But I also agree with PFWT (at the bottom) that the linemen get better at someone when the scheme and playcalling demands that they NEED to be good at it, and that's why I believe some of Rodgers extra long holding onto the ball, while he creates amazing big plays with it... it also demands the OL to focus on pass blocking and takes their focus away from run blocking.

So that they're setting up for pass blocking the entire time... then from that pass blocking stance, they struggle to get great run blocks... and if they chance up their stances on that one play, then the other team knows it's gonna be a run.

Which is why I kinda like Stanford idea, of having a completely different stances for their OL on goal line/3rd and short, etc.

We are a passing team typically so they spend most of their time pass blocking. Now When they plan to run more, practice to run more, and actually do run more, offensive lineman get better at run blocking.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
Spriggs is doing better. It probably helped that the line judge on his side of the field missed most of the game so it was harder to call any penalties on him. But it was good to see he wasn't a revolving door for the DE.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
6 years ago

Saints starting Center said he learned the hard way that their rookie RB doesn't go down easily... because I guess as an OL, you pull up when you think a guy is going to go down to not get pulled for playing past the whistle on a block... but he pulled up and got NAILED... because the RB would be fighting for extra yardage and so they had to fight for longer (same with pass protection when you got a good mobile QB)

That in theory could very well be true for Williams. But I also agree with PFWT (at the bottom) that the linemen get better at someone when the scheme and playcalling demands that they NEED to be good at it, and that's why I believe some of Rodgers extra long holding onto the ball, while he creates amazing big plays with it... it also demands the OL to focus on pass blocking and takes their focus away from run blocking.

So that they're setting up for pass blocking the entire time... then from that pass blocking stance, they struggle to get great run blocks... and if they chance up their stances on that one play, then the other team knows it's gonna be a run.

Which is why I kinda like Stanford idea, of having a completely different stances for their OL on goal line/3rd and short, etc.

Originally Posted by: beast 

So, if there was more balance between the pass and the run the offensive line would be forced to become better run blockers?
This makes some sense.
McCarthy likes to talk a balanced run/pass game, he rarely goes with the run for any amount of snaps even if it's working, he usually reverts to a pass heavy offense.
This may be confusing to the offensive linemen affecting their blocking schemes.
Since I'm not stat centric, I have no stats to support this.

Barfarn
6 years ago

I’d rate Spriggs as just about average, maybe a tad below, but most importantly he’s ascending.

There should be no surprise. People just need to resist allowing the loudmouth idiocy or childish expectations pollute solid rational football thought and adult expectations.

Spriggs with great measurable was drafted in 2nd. This means his college tape shows a late 3rd, 4th or 5th round quality; he’s a project. Bahktieri showed 1st round quality; but he was too short, too slow, etc to ever be any good; well at least according to the “experts.” If Spriggs’ tape showed him as good and ready as Bahk’s; he’d have been a top 10 pick.

These are Spriggs’ 1st 2 starts at OT. Some guys dont play as well coming in cold; but what’s most important to realize, is that if you’re not starting it means you didn’t get but a handful of reps that week. The lack of reps makes it difficult for young players to perform but its catastrophic for certain positions like OT. Last year after getting most of his reps at OT, he was thrown in at Guard, so his 2 starts were disappointing; but that should not have been unexpected or used to dominate an opine about his upside.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Sprigg's needs to put on 15-20lbs of meat.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!