Zero2Cool
6 years ago
At least, from Peter King anyway. And to think, you folks want him gone! hahah

COACH OF THE WEEK 

Mike McCarthy, head coach, Green Bay. I thought the design and the play-calling on the tying and winning drives in the 26-20 win over Tampa Bay were very good. McCarthy knows he can’t totally trust Brett Hundley in the passing game, so he designed some read-option for Hundley, and that resulted in the crucial two plays of the winning drive. Hundley made a beautiful fake into the gut of Jamaal Williams and ran around right end for 18 to the Bucs’ 41-yard line; then he faked a jet sweep and dumped a pass to Williams along the right sideline for 12 more. One other thing: The Packers won a game they had to have using Brett Hundley (fifth round, 2015) and backs Jamaal Williams (fourth round, 2017) and Aaron Jones (fifth round, 2017) as the key weapons on that final 72-yard drive in overtime. That’s good playing, and good coaching. Kudos to the oft-embattled McCarthy.

Peter King wrote:

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
I agree,
Hundley gets one more start.
Now,The Browns are going to have to game plan for the read option.
That should ease the pass rush a little and the running game can only benefit.

Mike is better than most.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
6 years ago
I was screaming about the read option from the beginning. Why we stopped running it deserves an answer and much scrutiny...how can this alleged Packers "hater" and football know nothing be calling these things out and Mike McCarthy the HC isn't getting them? He was too afraid Hundley was going to get hurt.

Cam Newton runs... Russell Wilson runs... they have to... If they do, how much more does Hundley to be successful?

Glad Peter King thinks Mike McCarthy is coach of the week. Good for him. He doesn't watch this team week after week. He probably saw the OT highlights and saw the stats previous and concluded he had to be a genius to get a win out of a group that had performed like that for 4 quarters. It was the defense capitalizing on Bucs mistakes that kept us in this game. Thank GOD we won the coin toss.

Hundley may get four more starts. No guarantee 12's clavicle is healed.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
6 years ago

I was screaming about the read option from the beginning. Why we stopped running it deserves an answer and much scrutiny

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You seriously have overused the "deserves an answer and more scrutiny" line to the point that phrase is completely meaningless coming from you... because anything and everything has fallen under the same label making it so generic that it's a pointless label now. You should mix up the labels more.

He was too afraid Hundley was going to get hurt.

Is this a guess, or you making a statement of fact? Because it seems as you're saying as a statement of fact, which if so, then you already have the answer... so why does it need to be answered, if you already have the answer?

Early on I thought the read option was bad for Hundley, not because he'd get hurt, but from his mental staying composed in the pocket standpoint. Hundley was doing decent staying calm in the pocket, and then they'd call some read option and afterwards Hundley would be a lot more frantic in the pocket which would lead to trouble. That's not a fact, just a trend that I thought I was noticing.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Sorry, noted...will try mixing it up for you.

I saw that Hundley could run. With Jones as a legit threat back with him it would have to be honored and thus likely more successful.

Hundley had a reported hamstring issue. There is no other possible way for me to understand his decision to not run Hundley minus him fearing he would get hurt.

Our media has to pose these types of questions to MM. I was in media...I would be asking them because they're obvious. So obvious that you have to call into question the relationship between our media and the org. Do you have any thoughts on why tough questions aren't asked of MM? Or...Why tough follow ups aren't asked to weak responses?

You know I'm an accentuator...take what you have and use it. Hundley can run. So have Hundley run. Hundley can't pass, so don't have him passing so much. Jordy is effective because he played with 12 and had a mind meld. He is completely ineffective with Hundley. Throw Davis or Janis out there and let them use their speed to create separation. Use what we have. Hundley needs to see a guy open not throw him open. Who has better chance of creating it? Jordy or Janis? Janis can flat out run. Let him do it. Hundley ain't gonna care about precision in routes like 12 would. Hundley isn't precise. It maddens me to watch what we have to watch week after week while everyone thinks Mike McCarthy is some great coach. Use your TALENT to it's STRENGTHS.
Mike McCarthy has Hundley trying to run Aaron's offense. Good luck with that. How about running Hundley's offense rife with read option runs? How about that? No...let's put on pathetic displays after pathetic displays and not CHANGE. We need CHANGE to TALENT and STRENGTHS. We have NONE of that right now.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
6 years ago

You seriously have overused the "deserves an answer and more scrutiny" line to the point that phrase is completely meaningless coming from you... because anything and everything has fallen under the same label making it so generic that it's a pointless label now. You should mix up the labels more.

Is this a guess, or you making a statement of fact? Because it seems as you're saying as a statement of fact, which if so, then you already have the answer... so why does it need to be answered, if you already have the answer?

Early on I thought the read option was bad for Hundley, not because he'd get hurt, but from his mental staying composed in the pocket standpoint. Hundley was doing decent staying calm in the pocket, and then they'd call some read option and afterwards Hundley would be a lot more frantic in the pocket which would lead to trouble. That's not a fact, just a trend that I thought I was noticing.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Some will argue just for the sake of arguing!
😂😂😂😂😂
I'm pretty sure the only person Mike needs to answer to is Ted Thompson.
Some just don't understand that.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
6 years ago

You know I'm an accentuator...take what you have and use it.

I do? ... what's an "accentuator"?

Hundley can run. So have Hundley run. Hundley can't pass, so don't have him passing so much. Jordy is effective because he played with 12 and had a mind meld. He is completely ineffective with Hundley. Throw Davis or Janis out there and let them use their speed to create separation. Use what we have. Hundley needs to see a guy open not throw him open. Who has better chance of creating it? Jordy or Janis? Janis can flat out run. Let him do it.

If you avoid the pass too much, then teams can simply just target the running game.

I think many of us have wondered if the speed WRs might be able to do more, but considering they haven't even been able to beat out Allison?... and as you said, Hundley has to see them open... just because they have speed doesn't mean they can get open, or that Hundley can correctly read it to throw it in the right direction for them to adjust.

I see you simply saying, this isn't working, let's try something different... and I think most agree, but we (outsiders) won't know if a change for change sake will improve things until it's attempted, where insiders MIGHT know because they have a lot more facts. Though personally, I'd really like to see a WR screen to a speed WR.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Janis caught a TD vs. Philly in preseason that I believe was thrown by Hundley. Janis used his speed and was wide open in endzone.

You're right...not working...change...try something different. But...change to what should've been all along.
UserPostedImage

Barfarn
6 years ago

I was screaming about the read option from the beginning. Why we stopped running it deserves an answer and much scrutiny...how can this alleged Packers "hater" and football know nothing be calling these things out and Mike McCarthy the HC isn't getting them?

I'll answer the 1st part of the question only because the 2nd part will take years of therapy 😂.

The read option is a bitch because it takes every instinct a defensive player has and uses it against them. However the reason you don see it often ANYWHERE is because of the way NFL DC's defend it these days. They simply instruct/practice the QB to be hit whether he has the ball or not! And this is 100% legal.

It may work once or twice; but if you run it with any regularity; Hundley is gonna be takin' some big hits and he doesnt look like he's built to take them like Walter Payton or Russell Wilson. Hundley is likely to be snapped in half like a dried up chicken bone.
uffda udfa
6 years ago
I understand that and is the only reason to not run it. Newton obviously is built for it but he's got a shoulder issue and still does it. Wilson ain't stout.

It's a strength of his...one of the few and should be accentuated.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.