Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago

The 5 Toughest Corners I've Ever Faced 

by Davante Adams

It was Oct. 2, 2014, my fifth game as a Packer. We were playing the Vikings at Lambeau. Aaron called a play, and I knew — man, I just knew — that I wasn’t getting the ball. I was on the post route and Aaron didn’t like to throw the deep ball on that particular play. He always threw it to the intermediate route. A few coaches had even said to me that Aaron had thrown it to the post on that play only three times in his career.

So … you probably already know what happened.

After the snap, I was just running my guy off — just clearing him out of the way. Fifteen yards out or something, I looked up at the jumbotron — which I like to do to know where to block without having to turn my head around.

Aaron still had the ball. He was supposed to have thrown it already. But he still had it. He was tilting way back, about to throw it deep.

I was a mile from where I was supposed to be.

He tucked the ball — and he got like two yards on a scramble. Broken play. I knew I’d screwed up the second I saw him on the jumbotron. After the play, Aaron looked over at our offensive coordinator and pointed at me. He made a yanking motion with his arm — like, Take this dude off the field.

I spent the next eight plays on the sidelines.

If this entertaining, illuminating article is any indication, Davante Adams is either a highly intelligent, insightful, introspective, and self-aware student of the game, or he has the benefit of a good ghostwriter. Part of me suspects it's a combination of the two. In any case, it's well worth the read. His description of Sam Shields is pretty fun.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
It shows that he learned from that mistake right away. Shows that he (unlike some) are able to admit they are not "all that" and can take criticism.
He's grown into a pretty darn good player!
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago
I held my breath the entire article hoping he wouldn't mention Casey Hayward.
DoddPower
6 years ago
This is interesting. So he writes his own articles? Is that a common practice these days?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

If this entertaining, illuminating article is any indication, Davante Adams is either a highly intelligent, insightful, introspective, and self-aware student of the game, or he has the benefit of a good ghostwriter. Part of me suspects it's a combination of the two. In any case, it's well worth the read. His description of Sam Shields is pretty fun.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

My guess is this mostly his work but had someone look it over and make a few suggestions.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

This is interesting. So he writes his own articles? Is that a common practice these days?

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

It seems like it's becoming more and more common place, slowly but surely. Though most of the ones I've seen have been very recently retired players more than active players but it's growing.

And to be honest I've been arguing for it, at least grabbing some of those players with short careers and turning them into writers because they know more about football than some of these English, Writing, or Literature degree reports that have never seemed to play the game at any level... I'm amazed that smart college athletes, who were not quite talented enough to go pro, aren't getting those professional reporters jobs, I mean they're more an expert than some of the writers.

PS: Some of those reports with report type degrees are GREAT, certainly not meaning to slam them all, but a few don't understand football... and while they might be good enough to cover one team, if you see them start trying to compare two different teams with different systems it's clear they don't know what they're talking about... and I'm taking about veteran reporters, which should know better.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
Love theplayerstribune
Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago

My guess is this mostly his work but had someone look it over and make a few suggestions.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I tend to agree with you. This article is from The Players' Tribune , which was founded by Derek Jeter to give athletes a public forum in which to express themselves. The site brands itself "The Voice of the Game." What strikes me is that by and large, all of the articles on that site are excellent. They're so surprisingly well written, in fact, that I can't help but think they're heavily edited by site staff -- or perhaps the players' PR agents. The stark difference in quality of expression between the writing in these articles and the interviews these athletes tend to give stands out to me. The other factor that makes me think the articles are edited by staff is that many of them seem to have a very similar voice and style. For example, I read an article by Greg Jennings  in which he souned an awful lot like Davante Adams (and a whole lot better than he sounded as a color commentator the other day!), though he seems to favor one-line paragraphs more than Adams.

Maybe there's just a certain kind of voice that folks in the industry instinctively pick up? Then again, there are an awful lot of comm majors in the NFL. 😁
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I tend to agree with you. This article is from The Players' Tribune , which was founded by Derek Jeter to give athletes a public forum in which to express themselves. The site brands itself "The Voice of the Game." What strikes me is that by and large, all of the articles on that site are excellent. They're so surprisingly well written, in fact, that I can't help but think they're heavily edited by site staff -- or perhaps the players' PR agents. The stark difference in quality of expression between the writing in these articles and the interviews these athletes tend to give stands out to me. The other factor that makes me think the articles are edited by staff is that many of them seem to have a very similar voice and style. For example, I read an article by Greg Jennings  in which he souned an awful lot like Davante Adams (and a whole lot better than he sounded as a color commentator the other day!), though he seems to favor one-line paragraphs more than Adams.

Maybe there's just a certain kind of voice that folks in the industry instinctively pick up? Then again, there are an awful lot of comm majors in the NFL. 😁

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Writing is not that complicated. When you have something to say, and you have the time to sit down and word it out. It's quite simple. Reading this entry from Davante and listening to him talk in his interviews (same with the Josh Norman entry) it seems quite obvious the player is leading the way. As for Greg Jennings color commentary vs writing, those are two polar opposites. One you have time to think, write, start over, review, try again, and the other is once the toothpaste is out of the bottle you're toast.

Julius Peppers was another good one. I've read quite a few. It's neat reading how different plays word things and think.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago

Writing is not that complicated.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I wish I agreed with you. If I did, I would be so much farther along in life than I am now. I'm glad you feel this way, though. I genuinely am. I hope to get there someday myself.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.