Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nonstopdrivel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:32:52 AM(UTC)
Quote:
The 5 Toughest Corners I've Ever Faced

by Davante Adams

It was Oct. 2, 2014, my fifth game as a Packer. We were playing the Vikings at Lambeau. Aaron called a play, and I knew — man, I just knew — that I wasn’t getting the ball. I was on the post route and Aaron didn’t like to throw the deep ball on that particular play. He always threw it to the intermediate route. A few coaches had even said to me that Aaron had thrown it to the post on that play only three times in his career.

So … you probably already know what happened.

After the snap, I was just running my guy off — just clearing him out of the way. Fifteen yards out or something, I looked up at the jumbotron — which I like to do to know where to block without having to turn my head around.

Aaron still had the ball. He was supposed to have thrown it already. But he still had it. He was tilting way back, about to throw it deep.

I was a mile from where I was supposed to be.

He tucked the ball — and he got like two yards on a scramble. Broken play. I knew I’d screwed up the second I saw him on the jumbotron. After the play, Aaron looked over at our offensive coordinator and pointed at me. He made a yanking motion with his arm — like, Take this dude off the field.

I spent the next eight plays on the sidelines.

If this entertaining, illuminating article is any indication, Davante Adams is either a highly intelligent, insightful, introspective, and self-aware student of the game, or he has the benefit of a good ghostwriter. Part of me suspects it's a combination of the two. In any case, it's well worth the read. His description of Sam Shields is pretty fun.
Cheesey  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 12:15:06 PM(UTC)
It shows that he learned from that mistake right away. Shows that he (unlike some) are able to admit they are not "all that" and can take criticism.
He's grown into a pretty darn good player!
Barfarn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 2:55:28 PM(UTC)
I held my breath the entire article hoping he wouldn't mention Casey Hayward.
DoddPower  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:08:47 PM(UTC)
This is interesting. So he writes his own articles? Is that a common practice these days?
wpr  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:46:29 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
If this entertaining, illuminating article is any indication, Davante Adams is either a highly intelligent, insightful, introspective, and self-aware student of the game, or he has the benefit of a good ghostwriter. Part of me suspects it's a combination of the two. In any case, it's well worth the read. His description of Sam Shields is pretty fun.

My guess is this mostly his work but had someone look it over and make a few suggestions.
beast  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:36:39 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
This is interesting. So he writes his own articles? Is that a common practice these days?

It seems like it's becoming more and more common place, slowly but surely. Though most of the ones I've seen have been very recently retired players more than active players but it's growing.

And to be honest I've been arguing for it, at least grabbing some of those players with short careers and turning them into writers because they know more about football than some of these English, Writing, or Literature degree reports that have never seemed to play the game at any level... I'm amazed that smart college athletes, who were not quite talented enough to go pro, aren't getting those professional reporters jobs, I mean they're more an expert than some of the writers.

PS: Some of those reports with report type degrees are GREAT, certainly not meaning to slam them all, but a few don't understand football... and while they might be good enough to cover one team, if you see them start trying to compare two different teams with different systems it's clear they don't know what they're talking about... and I'm taking about veteran reporters, which should know better.
gbguy20  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:44:11 PM(UTC)
Love theplayerstribune
Nonstopdrivel  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:55:06 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
My guess is this mostly his work but had someone look it over and make a few suggestions.

I tend to agree with you. This article is from The Players' Tribune, which was founded by Derek Jeter to give athletes a public forum in which to express themselves. The site brands itself "The Voice of the Game." What strikes me is that by and large, all of the articles on that site are excellent. They're so surprisingly well written, in fact, that I can't help but think they're heavily edited by site staff -- or perhaps the players' PR agents. The stark difference in quality of expression between the writing in these articles and the interviews these athletes tend to give stands out to me. The other factor that makes me think the articles are edited by staff is that many of them seem to have a very similar voice and style. For example, I read an article by Greg Jennings in which he souned an awful lot like Davante Adams (and a whole lot better than he sounded as a color commentator the other day!), though he seems to favor one-line paragraphs more than Adams.

Maybe there's just a certain kind of voice that folks in the industry instinctively pick up? Then again, there are an awful lot of comm majors in the NFL. BigGrin
Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:21:13 AM(UTC)
I tend to agree with you. This article is from The Players' Tribune, which was founded by Derek Jeter to give athletes a public forum in which to express themselves. The site brands itself "The Voice of the Game." What strikes me is that by and large, all of the articles on that site are excellent. They're so surprisingly well written, in fact, that I can't help but think they're heavily edited by site staff -- or perhaps the players' PR agents. The stark difference in quality of expression between the writing in these articles and the interviews these athletes tend to give stands out to me. The other factor that makes me think the articles are edited by staff is that many of them seem to have a very similar voice and style. For example, I read an article by Greg Jennings in which he souned an awful lot like Davante Adams (and a whole lot better than he sounded as a color commentator the other day!), though he seems to favor one-line paragraphs more than Adams.

Maybe there's just a certain kind of voice that folks in the industry instinctively pick up? Then again, there are an awful lot of comm majors in the NFL. BigGrin

Writing is not that complicated. When you have something to say, and you have the time to sit down and word it out. It's quite simple. Reading this entry from Davante and listening to him talk in his interviews (same with the Josh Norman entry) it seems quite obvious the player is leading the way. As for Greg Jennings color commentary vs writing, those are two polar opposites. One you have time to think, write, start over, review, try again, and the other is once the toothpaste is out of the bottle you're toast.

Julius Peppers was another good one. I've read quite a few. It's neat reading how different plays word things and think.
Nonstopdrivel  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:28:37 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Writing is not that complicated.

I wish I agreed with you. If I did, I would be so much farther along in life than I am now. I'm glad you feel this way, though. I genuinely am. I hope to get there someday myself.
Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:23:02 PM(UTC)
Many people have difficulty writing. It comes somewhat easy to me, as my Mom ruled with an iron fist! She made me read out loud to her, and checked all my writing. I hated it at the time, but she did me a great service. I can read and write and comprehend very goodly!Laugh

As I get older, I do find that words don't come to me nearly as quickly as they used to, sometimes I can't find the word at all. That is VERY frustrating. To have an idea, and then not be able to verbalize it.
Do any of you have that problem as you age? (I hope I'm not alone on this)
Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:50:03 PM(UTC)
I wish I agreed with you. If I did, I would be so much farther along in life than I am now. I'm glad you feel this way, though. I genuinely am. I hope to get there someday myself.

I read that now and read it as arrogant. I didn't mean my words to be that way. I guess, I've always been pretty quick witted (dad used to tell me --son that quick mouth is gonna get you into trouble, but it'll also do you quite a bit of good if used right -- ) and a wise ass. Maybe that helps me write well when I choose to? Thinking more about this as I read others saying it's not so easy to write, I recall many times in school where I was able to write an "essay" out of my ass on a moments notice.

I also like telling stories and trying to verbialize things in an information manner to others.

Okay, maybe writing isn't as easy as I (hours ago) previously thought. I just really believe after reading the amount of Players entries before that they are individually written. I have no doubt whatsoever that someone is coming to their aide for some spelling or grammar or flow. But upon reading them you can really tell you're getting a personal glance into their mind. I like that.
DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:06:12 PM(UTC)
As someone that mostly technically writes for a living (emphasis on scientific technical writing only), it is very clear that most people do not write well. Not even close. Even college educated scientists, and especially engineers. It's shocking to me. Our educational system is failing to prepare students for a career in technical writing. A good writer will generally be able to find success almost anywhere, be it engineering, grants, legal, or anything else, really. Every business has to communicate effectively, and often in writing.

Public speaking is another area where most struggle to rise above average. Many are horrible.
DoddPower  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:24:26 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
As someone that mostly technically writes for a living (emphasis on scientific technical writing only), it is very clear that most people do not write well. Not even close. Even college educated scientists, and especially engineers. It's shocking to me. Our educational system is failing to prepare students for a career in technical writing. A good writer will generally be able to find success almost anywhere, be it engineering, grants, legal, or anything else, really. Every business has to communicate effectively, and often in writing.

Public speaking is another area where most struggle to rise above average. Many are horrible.

To add to this post, usually those that write well are also successful in generating revenue for their organization, be it grants, government contracts, private sector projects, etc. There's always room for employees that generate revenue, and generating revenue usually involves writing, to some extent.
Nonstopdrivel  
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:04:36 PM(UTC)
I'd be curious to get Adams' take on Rodgers' skills at the cornerback position:

http://www.espn.com/blog...ut-the-ball-in-his-hands

Cool
Rss Feed