nerdmann
6 years ago
Spriggs seems to be settling in. Not to jinx him, but it looks like he might be able to play.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

Spriggs seems to be settling in. Not to jinx him, but it looks like he might be able to play.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah, I'm wondering what the hell happened...

I'm still under the believe that he did something wrong this offseason, maybe because he didn't think he had a shot at starting... but the guy we saw in preseason didn't look like one that should make a NFL final 53 man roster... the guy we're seeing now, clearly should make the roster... I'm wondering what changed.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

That must be hard for you to say. 😝 I couldn't tell how he did. I was watching on my computer and the image was pretty choppy.

I guess it takes time for some players to develop. If he is coming along they may let Bulaga walk although it was be a $ 3 mil cap hit next year.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

Yeah, I'm wondering what the hell happened...

I'm still under the believe that he did something wrong this offseason, maybe because he didn't think he had a shot at starting... but the guy we saw in preseason didn't look like one that should make a NFL final 53 man roster... the guy we're seeing now, clearly should make the roster... I'm wondering what changed.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Nothing happened, its just that your expectations are finally catching up to an legitimate learning curve.

Spriggs with great measurable was drafted in 2nd. This means his college tape shows a late 3rd, 4th or 5th round quality; he’s a project. Bahktieri showed 1st round quality; but he was too short, too slow, etc to ever be any good; well at least according to the “experts.” If Spriggs’ tape showed him as good and ready as Bahk’s; he’d have been a top 10 pick.

These are Spriggs’ 1st 3 starts at OT. Some guys dont play as well coming in cold; but what’s most important to realize is that if you’re not starting it means you didn’t get but a handful of reps that week. The lack of reps makes it difficult for young players to perform but its catastrophic for certain positions like OT. Last year after getting most of his reps at OT, he was thrown in at Guard, so his 2 starts were disappointing; but that should not have been totally unexpected or used to dominate expectations or opine about his upside.
nerdmann
6 years ago

That must be hard for you to say. 😝 I couldn't tell how he did. I was watching on my computer and the image was pretty choppy.

I guess it takes time for some players to develop. If he is coming along they may let Bulaga walk although it was be a $ 3 mil cap hit next year.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I've never shit talked Spriggs, except when he's deserved it. As with Hundley, I've always been a Sprigggs optimist. Actually this proves me right. 😉
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

Nothing happened, its just that your expectations are finally catching up to an legitimate learning curve.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

That's bullcrap on many levels...

First you're wrongly assuming my expectations were high... when in fact my expectation were really low... My expectations for Spriggs have always been low, because he's a four year starter, that had looked like he had less than two full years of development, and he looked raw as hell despite being a 4 year starter... so my expectations have always been he'll struggle to learn and develop, despite having all the pure physical tools.

Second, Spriggs in his rookie training camp looked SO MUCH better than Spriggs did in his 2nd year training camp, it's fair to expect at minimum for a player to not regress in their 2nd year. So something did happen, as Spriggs got himself into a whole lot of bad habits his first offseason that he knew he wasn't going to be a starter at the start of the season (which would be the first time that's happened for him since high school).

Third, if you actually watched Spriggs this preseason, he played like complete crap, making highschool level mistakes with lots of HORRIBLE habits such as stopping his feet upon contact... which he didn't do as a rookie. I've never seen an OT play like such crap at the end of training camp actually make the roster... even Newhouse in his rookie training camp (worse first start to training camp ever) was clearly better by the end of training camp than how Spriggs finish this training camp.

I think Spriggs actually relaxed more than he meant to and some how got into some horrible OT habits... and couldn't get out of them... and the break might of helped him start fresh again.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

I've never shit talked Spriggs, except when he's deserved it. As with Hundley, I've always been a Sprigggs optimist. Actually this proves me right. 😉

nerd you are always right. I have never doubted you. 🤣
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

That's bullcrap on many levels...

First you're wrongly assuming my expectations were high... when in fact my expectation were really low... My expectations for Spriggs have always been low, because he's a four year starter, that had looked like he had less than two full years of development, and he looked raw as hell despite being a 4 year starter... so my expectations have always been he'll struggle to learn and develop, despite having all the pure physical tools.

Second, Spriggs in his rookie training camp looked SO MUCH better than Spriggs did in his 2nd year training camp, it's fair to expect at minimum for a player to not regress in their 2nd year. So something did happen, as Spriggs got himself into a whole lot of bad habits his first offseason that he knew he wasn't going to be a starter at the start of the season (which would be the first time that's happened for him since high school).

Third, if you actually watched Spriggs this preseason, he played like complete crap, making highschool level mistakes with lots of HORRIBLE habits such as stopping his feet upon contact... which he didn't do as a rookie. I've never seen an OT play like such crap at the end of training camp actually make the roster... even Newhouse in his rookie training camp (worse first start to training camp ever) was clearly better by the end of training camp than how Spriggs finish this training camp.

I think Spriggs actually relaxed more than he meant to and some how got into some horrible OT habits... and couldn't get out of them... and the break might of helped him start fresh again.

Your subject Spriggs’ expectations were unsupportable because:

1. they failed to consider that you’re working with a small sliver of the information of all of the information available NEEDED to form such an expectation;
2. [and now it’s seen] they were influenced by bat crap crazy stuff listed above like Spriggs purportedly going all diva because he wasn’t starting; and
3. [and now it’s seen] they failed to evolve from a legitimate analysis of his actual play.

#1 and #2 are self-explanatory. As to #3, in your words, you say you saw Spriggs play like “complete crap.” Conversely, my expectations were forged from the realization that I have a sliver of info and what I saw: a guy that played great, mediocre and bad depending on the play; a guy that sometimes played great and bad in the same play [EG Against Washington he was slow off the snap a little too high and got beat bad off the snap. He was being driven right into Callahan, but unbelievably and athletically regained his balance and anchored-very very impressive recovery].

Reasonable expectations for an underperforming young OLman, factor in the way mental uncertainty and lack of reps can interfere with physical performance, to wit:

Many OLman achieve more command of playbook in 2nd year; but still don’t have it down cold and they KNOW IT, so there’s some doubt. In huddle he gets play and snap count, as he approaches LOS, he’s thinking of and assuring himself of his assignment; then QB checks and he has to readjust all this thinking; then the D moves and he readjusts his thinking; Center calls out “blue” tweeking assignments and he rethinks his assignment; the G on his side sees something on his side and yells, “Sparrow” or if too loud he slaps T on thigh which adjusts their assignments on that side, his mind adjusts AGAIN. With all this stuff swirling in his mind, he asks himself, damn what the hell was the snap count? The ball snaps and his guy drops in coverage or loops inside or comes as expected but the CB is blitzing and he his thinking goes out the window and he must react in an instant to physically perform against some of the best athletes in the world. His slightest mental pause, his slightest mental doubt, leaves him at a severe physical disadvantage and he could look quite silly. He then has to learn from it, but also put all this out of his head for the next play.

He then reads or a friend or family member calls to ask about something they read about him. He then has to put out of his mind the embarrassment and that arrogant idiots have libeled him.

With more time he processes the playbook better. With more practice and game reps these mental gyrations described above gradually morph into involuntary reaction. As the mental gymnastics give way to reaction; the focus turns to knocking the crap out of his opponent and its easier to remember the snap count. BTW, forgetting snap count happens a lot. Whenever you see a OLman slow to react off the snap it’s usually because he forgot the snap count, so his first move doesn’t come until he sees the DLman move.

Legitimate expectations are formed first from the fact that the fan doesn’t know jack shit. They see 15 PS snaps over 4 games and can only guess at what the player’s assignment was or how the guy next to him screwed up, which made him look bad. Using these snaps, which can’t be fully evaluated, which is 1/1,000,000 of the info needed, to form strong unwavering opinions about a player’s upside is the zenith of foolishness and arrogance. Understanding the natural process will dampen the need for “he’s a bust” opinionated idiotic opinions, which will reduce the need for lame explanations as to why they guy suddenly got better.
beast
6 years ago

Legitimate expectations are formed first from the fact that the fan doesn’t know jack shit.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Maybe, you know jack shit... but someone with a half decent OL eye could tell in the preseason Spriggs kept stopping his feet movement upon contact... that's OL-101 of what-not-to-do... and he doing most plays.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

Maybe, you know jack shit... but someone with a half decent OL eye could tell in the preseason Spriggs kept stopping his feet movement upon contact... that's OL-101 of what-not-to-do... and he doing most plays.

I do know this:

Took 10 minutes to watch 2-3-4 Spriggs’ pass pros in each of 4 PS games [Happened to catch him stone walling Von Miller for like 3.5 seconds-Grade: A++++] and his feet were moving on contact every time the entire time. Didn’t see it this time, but I recall Spriggs [playing on left side] getting bull rushed back and planting his left foot back and right foot slightly forward, this is called anchoring, which is proper technique when getting driven back on bullrush.

Think about what you’re saying: there’s contact and Spriggs’ feet stop moving, which means he’s not moving, so he becomes a totem pole to get around. Once an OL makes contact the Defender keeps trying to get around and Spriggs must keep moving, so his feet must be moving to “mirror” the DE.

I’ve seen Spriggs lean or raise his pad too level on his kick step [This happens most of the time he gets beat inside]; seen him lean or raise pad level on power step; seen him lean when punching; seen him punch off his kick foot; seen him move with his feet too close together; seen him for no apparent reason shift his weight so its not centered over his base; seen him anticipate the DE going outside, when he went inside [Probably not a physical mistake, but a mental one with Spriggs thinking he had inside help or G blew an assignment]; but I’ve never seen his feet stop moving.

In terms of this being a persistent problem: the person whose opinion you’re channeling is wrong or you misapprehended it. If its yours, your observations are wrong or maybe you mean something else other than the plain meaning of what you wrote [“Spriggs kept stopping his feet movement upon contact”].
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.