wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Yeah I think the Packers could get away with it, if they wanted to and kept to the same story.

But I don't think the Packers want to get away with anything... they normally just go the simply route.

But normally the NFL only does something like that if other teams are complaining... the question is, would other teams be complaining and would the NFL find enough to suggest there should be punishment... all depends on the medical stuff that we don't know about.

Originally Posted by: beast 

There are a lot of variables and everything we deal with is conjecture.
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago
It's ludicrous to think the league would do anything about it if the Packers sat anyone. As far as I know there are no rules that state a team must play its best players if they are healthy? If there were, teams that have clinched home filed or are locked into playoff spots would have been punished a long time ago. I'm sure most of those games have ramifications on other teams still fighting for a spot and I have yet to hear of the NFL doing anything about it. I spent $5.00 on a tight end last week even though I was eliminated from my fantasy playoffs because I feel that it is up to every owner to field a full team in fairness to all. Its very different in the NFL. Teams really don't give a crap how their actions affect other teams chances on making the playoffs and I don't think the league really cares either. The league will never step in in any situation and tell a team who they have to play nor IMO will they ever punish a team for not playing certain players.

I doubt any healthy, or even a lot of banged up players would want to sit if you gave them the choice. Especially against the team that you could say ruined their chance at the playoffs. It would be a coaching decision and I could see Mike McCarthy sitting some players who are banged up but I'm guessing if they are healthy they will at least start. They may not get as snaps as they would if the games meant something as the young guys may get more chances but the way I see it there won't be much difference.

Obviously the big decision is Rodgers and my personal opinion is if he was good enough to go this week he will be good enough to go next week. All the time we hear fans talking about "what kind of message would it send?" well, what kind of message would it send if the coaches, or worse yet any player said "well, since the game is meaningless I am not going to risk getting injured so I am going to sit out the next two games"

I understand why teams that have clinched do it, I don't necessarily agree with it but I get why they do it. My stance has always been if they would be healthy enough to play if the game meant something they are healthy enough to play if the game means nothing. Obviously there are some exceptions as with players who are questionable. If you are fighting for a playoff spot yeah, you might play someone who might not be 100% whereas now that the games mean nothing you may not risk it but if there is no more risk than any other game you play them. You may not play them as long and you may give the backups a few more snaps but you approach the game initially as if it were any other game. With Rodgers I could see it going either way.
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
Wr probably should wait till sfter tomorrow night before discussing who sits and who plays.

No way in hell is Aaron Rodgers going to sit if there is still a chance to make the playoffs.
There had better be s suspension for that fuck who took out Adams.
He clearly lowered his head and intentionally lead with his helmet.
The NFL better get serious about these kind of hits. Right now the rule is a joke.
That is probably Adams catching that ball , not Allison and maybe just maybe he holds onto it.

Resigning Adams is probably #2 priority behind extending Rodgers.
Any agent worth a Damn will tell Davante to test the free agent market unless Ted makes him an offer that the agent thinks is as good as he can get.
Would be nice to get an extension done before the end of the season, would be less hit on Daley cap.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
steveishere
6 years ago
It's football, keep playing. If it was reverse where they clinched a bye or something and needed everyone good for playoffs then sit em but everyone gets the offseason to heal up so let them finish it out. If someone gets hurt at this point it is what it is. Any other team that misses the playoffs nobody asks if they are going to shut down their good players. Go try and ruin the Vikings bye and make it harder for them.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
After what Rodgers showed, I'd have no problem sitting him. It is clear he isn't 100%. Davante I wouldn't put back on the field this year. And might be having serious considerations about not giving him that big long term deal with what is now a serious concussion issue. If we don't plan on Jahri being back I might put McCray in at RG. I might not sit, but I would back down Daniels snaps and give Montravius more time. I would be giving the young guys as many snaps as I could at WR, RB.

I'd also want to get Callahan some real game time to see what he looks like against competition.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
gbguy20
6 years ago
Callahan was cut...
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

Callahan was cut...

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Hadn't seen that, must be a formality of getting him back on the practice squad. more of the reason I don't think they ever should have activated Rodgers.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
6 years ago
Sit Rodgers and Adams. No need now to take a chance.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
6 years ago
I would most definitely shut Rodgers out for the year no point of taking the risk. There's no way this team will make into the playoffs this year.

Baltimore loss was an important game and we let it slip away.

I would rather give the extra reps to Hundley in case there's a new injury to Rodgers next year again or if he plays really good maybe get some of his trade value up.

Worst case scenario: we're already here.
Best case scenario: we get an earlier pick.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (3h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (3h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (4h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (20h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
59m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.