wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

And the Packers get the 14th overall spot (I believe).

Looks like the Cardinals did their job by winning and getting behind the Packers in the draft order which got rid of the 15th spot option. But the Dolphins lost and took the 12th possibility away, as the Packers couldn't match the Bengals SOS even if they won (which they did). All this left the Packers with the Redskins, who lost to the Giants... and so the tie breakers started for the 13th or 14th pick.

Packers vs Redskins in tie breakers
Overall Record = Tied
Strength of Schedule = Tied
Conference Record = Tied
Comment Opponents = Packers did better, which means Redskins get the higher pick.

Both teams
Beat the Seahawks, while losing to the Saints and Vikings (x2 for the Packers), the difference was the Cowboys games... Packers beat the Cowboys while the Redskins lost both games to the Cowboys.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Got this off Walters 

Round 1
1. Cleveland (0-16) .520
2. New York Giants (3-13) .531
3. Indianapolis (4-12) .480
4. Cleveland - from Houston (4-12) .516
5. Denver (5-11) .492
6. New York Jets (5-11) .520
7. Tampa Bay (5-11) .555
8. Chicago (5-11) .559
9. San Francisco (6-10)# .512
10. Oakland (6-10)# .512
11. Miami (6-10) .543
12. Cincinnati (7-9) .465
13. Washington (7-9) .539
14. Green Bay (7-9) .539
15. Arizona (8-8) .488
16. Baltimore (9-7) .441
17. Los Angeles Chargers (9-7) .457
18. Seattle (9-7) .492
19. Dallas (9-7) .496
20. Detroit (9-7) .496
21. Tennessee* (9-7) .434
22. Buffalo* (9-7) .492
23. Atlanta* (10-6) .543
24. Carolina* (11-5) .539
25. Jacksonville* (10-6) .434
26. Buffalo - from Kansas City* (10-6) .477
27. Los Angeles Rams* (11-5) .504
28. New Orleans* (11-5) .535
29. Pittsburgh* (13-3) .453
30. Minnesota* (13-3) .492
31. Philadelphia* (13-3) .461
32. New England* (13-3) .484

Houston -> Cleveland: Deshaun Watson
Kansas City -> Buffalo: Patrick Mahomes
#49ers and Raiders order will be determined by coin flip
(* - playoff team).
The decimal number next to each team is strength of schedule.

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

I know the defense needs help but Teddy has been so terrible when drafting the D in the first round I wouldn't mind going WR @ 14.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Thompson seems very good at grabbing WRs in the 2nd round... and Packers need more pass rushers and CBs.

I don't know if their stats to it, but I've read the Packers defense was a lot better with both Matthews and Perry on the field at the same time, but if either one of them needed a breather or got injured, the defense was much worse without both of them on the field at the same time.

There were 998 defensive snaps
Matthews played 636 snaps (63.7%) and so off the field for 362 snaps.
Perry played 545 snaps (54.6%) and so off the field for 453 snaps.

So that's a combined 815 snaps that they were off the field, which is 81.7% of the season that a very good 3rd Pass Rusher might of helped. Of course Brooks and Biegel graded out average according to PFF, and maybe if they were fully healthy, they might of done a lot better. But it'd be nice to have certain to better depth going forward.

Frackrell could break out in the future, but as of right now, he seems like a QB spy ILB or ST guy... of course a different system might help him. One where he's used more like a surprise blitzing LB and not a full time edge defender might help him.

And CB could be upgraded and more depth. If fully healthy, Randall and King might be good (and that's assuming King develops more), but seems like their is a drop off to House (who's a FA) and even bigger drop off after House.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
Other random notes.

- Without the Packers' 3 overtime victories (Bengals, Bucs, Browns), the Packers would of had the 5th overall pick.

- Packers were tied for the 5th strength of schedule (5th hardest schedule)

- Bears were 1st for strength of schedule (toughest schedule).

- The top 4 weakest strength of schedules are all in the AFC Playoffs, and the Chiefs (8th) and Patriots (10th) weren't far behind.

- The NFC only has one top 10 weakest schedule (Eagles, 6th)... next is Vikings at 12th, Rams at 18th and of course with 3 teams from the NFC South, they're all among the top 8 strongest schedules.

- Dolphins were the only AFC team in the top 9 strength of schedules.... Jets, Browns, Texans and Raiders were the only other AFC teams in top 17 strength of schedules.

So based on strength of schedule NFC is tougher to win in. So NFC > AFC?
UserPostedImage
greengold
6 years ago
That strength of schedule stat looks hokey in my opinion. It is self-fulfilling the way I understand it. Every game you lose gives your opponents another win, making your schedule appear harder/stronger by SOS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference between the Vikings and Packers schedule for example was the Vikings beat the 7-9 Packers twice, while the Packers lost to the 13-3 Vikings twice. Every other opponent was the same right? So the Packers played a tough .539 schedule and the Vikings played a weak .492 schedule?

Am I missing something?
beast
6 years ago

That strength of schedule stat looks hokey in my opinion. It is self-fulfilling the way I understand it. Every game you lose gives your opponents another win, making your schedule appear harder/stronger by SOS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference between the Vikings and Packers schedule for example was the Vikings beat the 7-9 Packers twice, while the Packers lost to the 13-3 Vikings twice. Every other opponent was the same right? So the Packers played a tough .539 schedule and the Vikings played a weak .492 schedule?

Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by: greengold 

To a degree you are correct, but to a degree you are mistaken as well. But to some degree it does go by division and your win/losses, but certainly not completely by that.

The Giants, Colts, Broncos and Jets all have the worst record in their division but they didn't have the toughest schedule in division. Rams won their division and yet they almost had the toughest schedule in their division... Steelers also won their division and didn't have the toughest schedule in their division.

Packers is tied for 5th toughest, Vikings tied for 18th toughest (which is average more than weak).

Packers played Seahawks and Cowboys, while the Vikings played the Rams and Redskins

UserPostedImage
greengold
6 years ago
Haha thanks. I thought the Vikings played the Seahawks but I see that was preseason. Doh!

Yeah only the AFC opponents and NFC north opponents are identical. I guess I knew that at one time.

I did just notice though, Seahawks and Cowboys = 18 combined wins. Rams and Redskins = 18 combined wins.
beast
6 years ago

Haha thanks. I thought the Vikings played the Seahawks but I see that was preseason. Doh!

Yeah only the AFC opponents and NFC north opponents are identical. I guess I knew that at one time.

I did just notice though, Seahawks and Cowboys = 18 combined wins. Rams and Redskins = 18 combined wins.

AFC Division (AFC North) = 4 Games
NFC Division (NFC South) = 4 Games
Other division (Bears/Lions) = 4 Games
So within the same division it is 75% the same.

And since they both combine to equal 18 combined wins, you are then correct that the difference is that they face each other. But still if Packers would beaten the Vikings, it would not of been equal because Vikings won more.
UserPostedImage
greengold
6 years ago

AFC Division (AFC North) = 4 Games
NFC Division (NFC South) = 4 Games
Other division (Bears/Lions) = 4 Games
So within the same division it is 75% the same.

And since they both combine to equal 18 combined wins, you are then correct that the difference is that they face each other. But still if Packers would beaten the Vikings, it would not of been equal because Vikings won more.

Originally Posted by: beast 

It still comes down to Vikings and Packers "un-common opponents" having the same W-L record of 112-128 112 or .466 .500. But the Vikings got the 7-9 Packers twice and the Packers got the 13-3 Vikings twice.

Not to harp on it but it just looks weird that Cleveland is portrayed as having an above average .520 schedule difficulty while Pittsburgh drew a .453. Cleveland didn't get to play any 0-16 teams, but the other AFC North teams got to do so twice.
beast
6 years ago

It still comes down to Vikings and Packers "un-common opponents" having the same W-L record of 112-128 or .466. But the Vikings got the 7-9 Packers twice and the Packers got the 13-3 Vikings twice.

Not to harp on it but it just looks weird that Cleveland is portrayed as having an above average .520 schedule difficulty while Pittsburgh drew a .453. Cleveland didn't get to play any 0-16 teams, but the other AFC North teams got to do so twice.

Yeah the extremes skew the data and you can't get more extreme than Cleveland.

But if you look at two teams in different divisions, where the teams they faces might be very different.

Also a lot at it from the perspective of division average. Toughest to Easiest.
54.3% NFC South
52.2% NFC North
51.0% AFC East
50.7% NFC East
49.9% NFC West
48.5% AFC West
47.0% AFC North
46.6% AFC South

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (17h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (21h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.