Zero2Cool
6 years ago
What do you think about Vic Fangio coming to run the Packers defense? He's an understudy of Dom Capers ... that concerns me, but the guy does have a decent track record. 49ers did have a really good defense under him and Bears have a decent defense on a sub-level of the 49ers.

No decision has been made on the future of Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers, but insiders are already connecting the team to potential replacements.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, current Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio is a name to “keep an eye on” if the Packers move on from Capers.

“There are real questions about whether 67-year-old Dom Capers will retire or be asked to retire. This could be the year,” Rapoport wrote on NFL.com Saturday. “If that happens, keep an eye on Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, who is a free agent.”

The Packers will likely need to move fast. Teams across the league will start making coaching changes on Monday, and Fangio – who coordinated a top defense in San Francisco and rebuilt Chicago’s defense over the last few years – will be in demand if the Bears fire coach John Fox and remake the coaching staff.

Fangio’s contract expires after the 2017 season, meaning he’ll have an opportunity to leave Chicago regardless of what the Bears do with Fox.

Continue reading @PackersWire 

Zach Kruse wrote:

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

What do you think about Vic Fangio coming to run the Packers defense? He's an understudy of Dom Capers ... that concerns me, but the guy does have a decent track record. 49ers did have a really good defense under him and Bears have a decent defense on a sub-level of the 49ers.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I've liked Vic Fangio... but I think the bigger questions are for Fangio...
[list=1]
  • If they keep Fox, would he consider leaving?
  • If Capers is fired, would he be interested?[/list]
  • If no to either of those, it's kind of pointless to talk about... unless Fox is fired and/or Capers retires.

But one thing I would wonder, is if Fangio was hired by the Packers... would he bring along CB Prince Amukamara or CB Kyle Fuller? ... because while Fangio is given credit for doing a better job with the Bears... it's also because they've gotten better players through FA (like Amukamara) or players finally stepping up (like Fuller).

I guess my point is the Packers still have the issue of talent, no matter who's the DC is. But it is interesting that he coaches two of the more interesting CB FA options... another one that I got my eye on has been Vontae Davis.
    UserPostedImage
    Barfarn
    6 years ago

I don’t think Fangio’s record with Bears is all that great given the circumstances.

Capers’ Ds outperformed Bears’ in 2 of last 3 years with double the injuries. And look at all the high cost free agents Fangio was given [See below] along with a host of low cost vet FAs [Acho, Ratliff, Jenkins, Wilson, Unrein, Prosinski, Banks, etc]. When Fangio lost a player to injury or suckage, he was able to replace them with medium priced or low cost vets and did not have to resort to rookie UDFAs, like Capers. Fangio also had the benefit of a time eating offense that limited the # of drives against his D.

Because the Bears have sucked, they’ve played weaker opponents for 2 games per year; that's 1/8 of the season. And it can’t be discounted that players playing against a team that stinks simply don’t play with the same edge. Plus, an opposing offensive staff might spend all or parts of 1 or 2 practices that week focused on a division opponent instead of the Bears and they will NEVER reveal an unscouted look or trick play against a team that sucks. Also, when the game is out of reach because the Bears stink; the opposing offenses are not playing as hard for a full 4 quarters. With GB's offense no team feels they can let up on the gas even if up by 7 -10-14 points. All this stuff works to make the stats look better than the Bears defense actually is.

Hicks is the only FA guy who has over achieved under Fangio, many severely under performed. The only youngsters that exceeded expectations for their selection would be UDFA Callahan and safety Jackson [But Hurst, Jones-quarterly and Amos looked good in their 1st years too]. High picks Ferguson, Sutton, Bostic and Greene all busted out under Fangio. And some digressed; in 2014, Rookie CB Fuller looked like he was special, then Fangio came in.

DL:
    Hicks 12M per FA
    Goldman low 2nd
    Houston 7M per FA

OLB:
    Floyd high 1st
    McFee 8M per FA
    Young 6M per FA

ILB:
    Trevathen 7M per FA
    Freeman 4M per FA

CB:
    Amukamura 7M per FA
    Cooper 5M per FA
    Fuller mid 1st rounder
    Porter 4M per FA
    Ball 3M per FA

S:
    Demp 5M per FA
    Rolle 4M per FA
    greengold
    6 years ago

I've liked Vic Fangio... but I think the bigger questions are for Fangio...
    [list=1]

• If they keep Fox, would he consider leaving?
  • If Capers is fired, would he be interested?[/list]
  • If no to either of those, it's kind of pointless to talk about... unless Fox is fired and/or Capers retires.

But one thing I would wonder, is if Fangio was hired by the Packers... would he bring along CB Prince Amukamara or CB Kyle Fuller? ... because while Fangio is given credit for doing a better job with the Bears... it's also because they've gotten better players through FA (like Amukamara) or players finally stepping up (like Fuller).

I guess my point is the Packers still have the issue of talent, no matter who's the DC is. But it is interesting that he coaches two of the more interesting CB FA options... another one that I got my eye on has been Vontae Davis.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I like Fangio. And I don't think Fox will be back with the Bears so Fangio should be available.
    Zero2Cool
    6 years ago
    is Chuck Pagano any good at DC?
    UserPostedImage
    blueleopard
    6 years ago
    I think Fangio's success with the Niners is a bit overblown because they already had the likes of NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, and Justin Smith kicking ass on that defense. Someone also already brought up Chicago's different MO, mentioning they sign a lot of free agents to shore up various holes on their roster.

Then again, considering we have our own solid guys in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Mike Daniels, Blake Martinez, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, and a handful of others, I wouldn't begin bringing Fangio in. I've never been a fan of his secondary guys though, but Kyle Fuller panned out okay.
    Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
    beast
    6 years ago

is Chuck Pagano any good at DC?

It's hard for me to tell, because his system seemed like it was HUGE risk (all man coverage with aggressive blitzing), going for a HUGE award (sacks/turnovers).

When it had the players and was successful, they looked dominant getting all those rewards.
    When they didn't though, the other team's offense looked dominant.
    With little in-between.

If you got the players to do that, then great! Get all those rewards! If you don't have the players for it... they're going to be giving up a lot of big plays.

There is also Teryl Austin, who like Pagano (and a number of others), also went thought the Ravens system.

It seems like there are 3 main options.
    1) Want John Fox or someone that's worked under Fox?
    2) Want someone that went through the Ravens system?
    3) Want someone that went through the Seahawks system?

2 Non-main options
    4) Want a current position coach
    5) College Defensive coordinator
    UserPostedImage
    6 years ago
    The Bears are playing games with Fangio's status publicly, to possibly cause issues with timing of teams like the Packers hiring him as DC. How long can we wait?
    beast
    6 years ago

The Bears are playing games with Fangio's status publicly, to possibly cause issues with timing of teams like the Packers hiring him as DC. How long can we wait?

Originally Posted by: TedThompsonsShades 

I believe I've read Fangio was a free agent, whose contract ended even if they didn't fire anyone. So are they talking about resigning him? If no, then I'm not sure what games that they can play.
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    6 years ago
    Vic Fangio contract expired after 2017 season.

Knowing he came from Dom Capers tree or was close to it ... not sure hot about that.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    35m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.