Discussion Board
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
2017-09-28T05:56:26Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

Tomorrow it's going to be a Green Bay brat and a bottle of water

GB Brats 329.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Let's do that again vs the Bears !
Smokey
  • Smokey
2017-09-28T15:32:42Z
 bbq 101.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Bar-B-Que , Cold Beer , and GB Football , as good as it gets with out having sex . LOL
PackFanWithTwins
2017-09-28T15:33:46Z
Originally Posted by: Smokey 

bbq 101.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Bar-B-Que , Cold Beer , and GB Football , as good as it gets with out having sex . LOL

If you can't do all at the same time, you need more practice.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2017-09-28T16:12:25Z

GB Brats 329.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Let's do that again vs the Bears !

No can do. I have to weigh in in the morning. Too close to last week's weight to eat like that.

Fruit, yogurt and oatmeal today. 😢
Smokey
  • Smokey
2017-11-14T00:47:51Z
As the Holidays approach , preparing in advance of the feast can make for a more enjoyable time with family and friends . Not waiting until the last minute is always better than having to rush around buying what is needed and hoping that it has not sold out .

As for me, I'm only a part of my family's holiday festivities , but still I have my part to play.

I've been the hand that makes the Gravy on Thanksgiving for many years , but will this year I'll try to pass on that task to a nephew who regularly works as a restaurant chief . He will do well and I trust him . I will however supply him with ingredients and advice as needed .

Another thing that I've found helps greatly is to be stocked with certain over the counter meds. 1st is a product called "Beano" and it has come to be one of my most important pre-feast got to have's . With all of the different savory foods , gas can and has make it a misery instead of a jolly time . Another is to be sure that I have a supply of "Keopectate" . Sometimes something may not be just right with that whipped cream you had on that slice of pie, so always be prepared.

I also like my holiday Bourbon and Ginger Ale . I like to have a supply on hand before the holiday crush .

If any of you would like to share a great holiday recipe for a Casserole or a Desert or a Mixed Drink , please feel free to do so and thanks .

Happy Holidays

Cheesey
2017-11-14T03:05:53Z
My wife got me an early Christmas present, a new fangled pressure cooker she saw on TV. I tried it out, cooking a corn beef brisket with cabbage and red taters. I usually would cook that in a slow cooker for 12 hours.
Well, I did 50 minutes in the pressure cooker, and it turned out awesome!
hardrocker950
2017-11-14T05:01:21Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

My wife got me an early Christmas present, a new fangled pressure cooker she saw on TV. I tried it out, cooking a corn beef brisket with cabbage and red taters. I usually would cook that in a slow cooker for 12 hours.
Well, I did 50 minutes in the pressure cooker, and it turned out awesome!

The more you use it, the more you will appreciate it. I also received my pressure cooker as a gift, and it gets lots of use. They can handle pretty much anything a slow cooker can, but in a fraction of the time.

Try chicken noodle soup in it some time, it literally takes less than an hour to cook.
Smokey
  • Smokey
2017-11-14T08:58:14Z
Cheesey , hardrocker950 that is outstanding. Crock Pots and Pressure Cookers are wonderful.
Would a Turkey work in one ?

I too like the meat specialties , but I also like those dishes that usually only appear on the holiday menus . Dishes like Stuffing and Green Bean Casserole and fruit/jello and Spoon Bread make my mouth water .

I don't care for Squash or Broccoli dishes , nor Okra of any preparation. I like the rolls that are served each year, but no attempts are ever made to vary that meal staple. Biscuits or Sour Dough Rolls would be a welcome change.

No one in my greater family Bakes Pie's or Cakes anymore . They buy it frozen or made by the Grocery Store Baker . I have discovered a source to buy custom baked goods , but it is beyond my budget .

Still looking for recipes folks !

[cheers]

Cheesey
2017-11-14T18:31:35Z
I would think it would work for turkey (or chicken). I just don't know if it would brown like an oven. As far as I know, it really cuts the cooking time, and leaves the meat VERY juicy and tender.
Being as turkey can be kind of dry, I would think that would make it taste better.
I just haven't tried that yet.
hardrocker950
2017-11-15T07:06:01Z
The only real issue with poultry in a pressure cooker is you won't get the traditional crispy skin due to the humidity that these cookers produce. What you do gain however is that these cookers are amazing at adding flavor deep into meats. It will typically fall off the bone, so it would make the "carving" part much easier.

If you want the traditional turkey, you are best off doing it in the oven.
Smokey
  • Smokey
2017-11-15T08:14:55Z
My Holiday beverage of choice is Bourbon/Ginger Ale . Some like to drink Wine . I would think however that most like Cold Beer the best .

What is your Holiday beverage of choice ? [thumbup]
Cheesey
2017-11-15T17:24:33Z
Hey hardrocker! Read this thread to my wife. She wants to know, if we have any pressure cooker advise, can we ask you?
And any recipe ideas of things you have cooked?
She bought me an Irish cookbook, and wants me too try some of the recipes.
PackFanWithTwins
2017-11-15T18:29:22Z
As deer camp is on the horizon

Friday - Fish Fry and Venison
Saturday - Shredded Venison sandwiches (sort of like pulled pork)
Sunday - Pork Fried Rice.
Monday - Left overs
Tuesday - Left overs
Wednesday - Venison Tenderloin, Lobster tail, Crab legs, Shrimp and Scallops
Thursday - Turkey and fixins
Friday-Sunday - the rest of the leftovers.
Cheesey
2017-11-15T21:11:43Z
Wow packfan.....some deer camp!!!
I'll be going up north on Friday, and probably hunting through Monday. (Unless I get lucky and score early!) I'll be in the woods by myself. No deer camp to go to.
But I'm just happy to be able to go for the first time in 3 years!
Smokey
  • Smokey
2017-11-21T20:07:22Z

Hey hardrocker! Read this thread to my wife. She wants to know, if we have any pressure cooker advise, can we ask you?
And any recipe ideas of things you have cooked?
She bought me an Irish cookbook, and wants me too try some of the recipes.

IMO, the easiest Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker meal , and one of my favorites , is a good ole Beef Stew. A beautiful cut of beef surrounded by potatoes , onions , carrots and even maybe mushrooms .

I hope that you and All enjoy a Delicious Thanksgiving . 😁
Smokey
  • Smokey
2018-01-06T08:11:55Z
I can't recall anytime in my life that a cast iron skillet was not a part of the kitchen where I lived. They are good for Frying Bacon and Eggs, to Baking a Meatloaf. A skillet can help make a killer toasted cheese sandwich or to fry up your Chicken in. It is a most versatile kitchen item and if cared for will provide years of nearly non-stick cooking.

One piece of advice about cast iron, it will rust if not properly cared for. Following soap & water cleaning, a thin layer of grease or oil must be applied to the skillet's warm (not hot) cooking surfaces and allow it be absorbed into the pores of the metal. Then the next time you use it rinse it with hot water and wipe down with a clean paper towel.

I'll be very happy to help anyone learn about cast iron and it's varied uses and methods of cooking.

[cheers]
Cheesey
2018-01-07T05:11:25Z
I made kind of a pot pie in my pressure cooker. Cut up some chicken breast, some taters, frozen peas, frozen crinkle cut carrots, 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, topped with pillsbury biscuits.
Cook for 40 minutes.
Yum!!!
Smokey
  • Smokey
2018-01-07T07:20:41Z

I made kind of a pot pie in my pressure cooker. Cut up some chicken breast, some taters, frozen peas, frozen crinkle cut carrots, 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, topped with pillsbury biscuits.
Cook for 40 minutes.
Yum!!!

Sounds great, except I'm not partial to green peas. I would substitute Green Beans or Baby Lima Beans instead.

I've yet to fix one of my personal Winter favorites, Slow Cooked Beef Stew. Dinty Moore does not even come close to it. Perhaps I can make it next week.

👍
Cheesey
2018-01-08T18:55:29Z
Yeah, it's hard to beat made from scratch!
One of these days I'm going to try to make beef stew in my pressure cooker. The darn thing is so versatile .
yooperfan
2018-01-09T22:46:07Z

I can't recall anytime in my life that a cast iron skillet was not a part of the kitchen where I lived. They are good for Frying Bacon and Eggs, to Baking a Meatloaf. A skillet can help make a killer toasted cheese sandwich or to fry up your Chicken in. It is a most versatile kitchen item and if cared for will provide years of nearly non-stick cooking.

One piece of advice about cast iron, it will rust if not properly cared for. Following soap & water cleaning, a thin layer of grease or oil must be applied to the skillet's warm (not hot) cooking surfaces and allow it be absorbed into the pores of the metal. Then the next time you use it rinse it with hot water and wipe down with a clean paper towel.

I'll be very happy to help anyone learn about cast iron and it's varied uses and methods of cooking.

[cheers]

Cast iron cookware is definitely the way to go.
Have been cooking with it for years both at camp and at home.
It's very versatile and easy to care for and will last forever.

Question for you Smoke, Last year when my brother and I were cleaning out our parents house prior to selling it, I found an old cast iron pot (large) in the basement that hadn't been used in probably 50 or more years.
Do you think it can be rehabilitated?

Smokey
  • Smokey
2018-01-10T00:33:13Z
Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Cast iron cookware is definitely the way to go.
Have been cooking with it for years both at camp and at home.
It's very versatile and easy to care for and will last forever.

Question for you Smoke, Last year when my brother and I were cleaning out our parents house prior to selling it, I found an old cast iron pot (large) in the basement that hadn't been used in probably 50 or more years.
Do you think it can be rehabilitated?

Provided that your pot is not cracked or thoughtlessly drilled with holes for use as a large flowerpot, there is a good chance that your pot can be rehabilitated. Most larger pots have 3 short legs that are cast as part of the pot. I hope they are in good condition.

Next, if your pot was stored in a basement (or anywhere else), rust will be the prime concern. If the thickness of the pot is still in good shape, removing just the rust is the largest concern. Get in touch with a trusted hardware store veteran or perhaps an experienced retailer like say Southern States for safe rust removal products/procedures.

Following the rust removal, you will want to thoroughly clean and dry your pot. At this point your pot will need to be oiled/greased, covered, and allowed to stand as the pores absorb the oil/grease. I personally prefer to coat the inside of the pot with Crisco from a can. It spreads like grease and can be applied in thin or thick amounts. I always store our family pot in this way and closed inside of an extra-large plastic bag.