Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:59:28 PM(UTC)

Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:25:16 PM(UTC)
News travels fast.

Transaction
gbguy20  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:46:43 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post

Looks good. What kind of D does he run?
beast  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:12:58 PM(UTC)
Did we interview Gus Bradley and/or Vic Fangio?

I'm surprised by this hire, as we hired Rex Ryan's "right hand man", of course maybe it's because I keep thinking of him as Ryan's #2... he did break away from Ryan... and I believe there were some rumors that they were fighting behind the Jets curtains, and reason he left when his contract was up for the same position with the Bills.

He did have some good defenses though... of course, he also usually had one of the best man coverage CBs in their primes playing for him, with Revis or Haden. Also Leodis McKelvin in his one year with the Bills.
rabidgopher04  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:24:52 PM(UTC)
Rush defense declined severely in his latter years. Poor in the red zone too.

What kind of defense does he run?
steveishere  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:32:48 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04 said: Go to Quoted Post

From what I read he runs pretty much everything but tailored towards personnel. Which probably means unless we change players drastically more 3-4ish stuff.
wpr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:51:25 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
From what I read he runs pretty much everything but tailored towards personnel. Which probably means unless we change players drastically more 3-4ish stuff.

I hate the idea of a coach that has a system and tries to make the players conform to that system. Gimme a coach on offense or defense that is able to adapt to the players he has.
beast  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:13:24 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
I hate the idea of a coach that has a system and tries to make the players conform to that system. Gimme a coach on offense or defense that is able to adapt to the players he has.

I love the idea of adapting to the players, but the reality at the end of the day, is that the players have to adapt to the game no matter what... meaning a defense needs edge rushers, interior DL and coverage guys no matter what system you're using... you can adapt how you do it, but you can't adapt that you have to do it with a limited number of guys.

So even with the coaches that try to adapt their scheme to the players they have... the majority is still the players being forced to adapt to the game.... but yes I think the coaches asking players to fully adapt to both the game and their scheme fails, unless the players already fit the scheme. Like Rex Ryan asking the Bills 4-3 unit to become a 3-4... was a failure... he should of kept the 4-3 spot of it, because he had a great defense already (well really the Bills Owners stupidly hired a defense coach to change their already great defense).

But you need those that foundation to star players that adjusted to the NFL game, before you can successful adapt the scheme to the rest of the players to make them better.
blueleopard  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:04:47 PM(UTC)
Rex Ryan's 3-4 defenses led by Mike Pettine often made Tom Brady look just plain bad. Aaron Rodgers won a game against them like 6-3.

That's fine with me.
buckeyepackfan  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:26:38 AM(UTC)
blueleopard said: Go to Quoted Post
Rex Ryan's 3-4 defenses led by Mike Pettine often made Tom Brady look just plain bad. Aaron Rodgers won a game against them like 6-3.

That's fine with me.

That was in 2010, Jets had released Harold Green.
Knowing The Packers were going to need help on the D-line, Ted claimed him.

Packers won that game in New York 9-0.

More importantly, it was Green who broke though and hit Big Ben's arm and gave Nick Collins his pick 6 in the SB.

Green was released about halfway through the next season.

Pettine's defenses were always top 5 or 10.
The Jets went to The AFC Championship game rwice (I think) once for sure with a young Mark Sanchez as their qb.

I like the choice.
Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:59:32 AM(UTC)
I know it means virtually nothing ... I do hope the new DC is on the sideline. I just feel more accountability is had when your "boss" is who you have to walk back to after you were the 12th man, or you were 11th man who didn't go to the field or you had a communication issue, or you half-ass'd a "tackle". Again, I know it doesn't mean anything, it's just my preference.
68md  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:06:05 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04 said: Go to Quoted Post

Pettine runs a multi-front system. He'll line up in a 4-3 under just as much as a base 3-4 maybe more. Also, keep in mind that teams spend more time in a sub defensive package than base anymore. Case in point Atlanta spent the whole game in nickel last week because the Rams played 11 personal all night( 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB).

The downside is it's a complex defensive system and he took heat both in Buffalo and Clevland about how hard it was to learn. Time will tell if he can make it work in Green Bay.

dhazer  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:44:25 PM(UTC)
Well if it makes you feel better the Die Hard Browns congratulated me on the Packers signing a high school coach. I wouldn't give him credit for the jets defense when you know damn well Ryan was running that. But just think of it this way, we traded Wolf Dorsey and Highsmith for him lol.
wpr  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:18:40 PM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
Well if it makes you feel better the Die Hard Browns congratulated me on the Packers signing a high school coach. I wouldn't give him credit for the jets defense when you know damn well Ryan was running that. But just think of it this way, we traded Wolf Dorsey and Highsmith for him lol.

That's like saying they traded Lombardi for him too.
Dorsey hasn't been in GB in 5 years.
wpr  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:20:35 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
I know it means virtually nothing ... I do hope the new DC is on the sideline. I just feel more accountability is had when your "boss" is who you have to walk back to after you were the 12th man, or you were 11th man who didn't go to the field or you had a communication issue, or you half-ass'd a "tackle". Again, I know it doesn't mean anything, it's just my preference.

I don't mind if the OC and DC are upstairs getting a better view of what's going on. The person who should be chewing on players if they make a mistake on the field is their position coach. The coordinator can chew on him a 2nd time when they get together to look at film.

Then again if he - OC/Dc feels he is more effective stomping the sidelines then by all means go ahead.
Bigbyfan  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:50:03 PM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post

Well good thing the Packers didn't sign him to be their head coach...
Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:57:42 PM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
Looks good. What kind of D does he run?

He can the shit hole ass stink zone blitz for all I care. Just kill the QB and get the hell off the field on third down.
Rss Feed