DoddPower
6 years ago
I just hope Gutey truly follows a strict Best Player Available strategy, at least for critical positions such as offensive line, WR, defensive secondary, and defensive line. I know the Packers rank prospects by round, but hopefully they can draw some lines regarding who is the best of each tier and draft accordingly. The Packers simply need talent more than anything, at most positions on the team. I want players that will be good to great players for the next 10 years, even if they don't necessarily fill a direct need in 2018. Injuries will quickly change that anyway.
warhawk
6 years ago
It's a little early but I try to start by looking at the players who almost certainly won't be there at 14. This will get tweaked as time moves on and things get more clearer after the combine.

At this early stage looking at the big boards and mocks I see (and hope) four QB's come off the board before 14.
In addition these players are chosen early in almost all the mocks and rank high on the big boards:
S Fitzpatrick
RB Barkley
DE Chubb
OG Nelson
OT Williams
S James
If this holds true what strikes me is that after 10 picks still no CB's or Edge rushers other than Chubb who from my understanding is a true 4-3 end. GB normally ends up getting about the 4th best player at any given position in the 1st round so this would be a huge improvement from that.
"The train is leaving the station."
Bigbyfan
6 years ago
Give me MLB Roquan Smith out of Georgia. The Packers will finally have that top tier MLB they always seem to lack.
blank
Smokey
6 years ago
With no first round trades, the first pick of the GB Packer's in the 2018 NFL Draft needs to be the biggest, strongest, fastest, and most aggressive pass rusher available. A MONSTER that sends shivers of fear down the backs of Offensive Coordinators as try to formulate a game plan against the Packers.

[nohair]

UserPostedImage
warhawk
6 years ago

Give me MLB Roquan Smith out of Georgia. The Packers will finally have that top tier MLB they always seem to lack.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Smith looks like a perfect fit from what I have read about Pettine and his aggressive approach. The only issue with Smith is he's a little smallish. I think he's so fast though and quick to react he can beat OL to the spot but somewhat worried about injury. 225lbs is kinda light in the pants to play inside in the NFL.

He's a football player though for sure and one that will probably produce more right out of the blocks than some others. OT's, CB,s and Edge rushers generally take some time before they get to where you like to see them. Smith looks like he will be ready to rock from the time he hits the field. The team needs a quick turnaround on D so....having a rookie that makes a big impact would be huge.
Rockmolder
6 years ago

With no first round trades, the first pick of the GB Packer's in the 2018 NFL Draft needs to be the biggest, strongest, fastest, and most aggressive pass rusher available. A MONSTER that sends shivers of fear down the backs of Offensive Coordinators as try to formulate a game plan against the Packers.

[nohair]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

That sounds like Marcus Davenport, if he would ever reach his ceiling. That's one risky pick, though.

How about signing Ziggy Ansah and not going that route?

I mean, if you add Ansah to Perry and Matthews, you're pretty good for next year. Will be risky on the injury side, though, but he'll give you consistent pressure for a year or three.

We've already had Matthews' biggest cap hit this year and Perry's isn't that big next year, either. The year after that, you complete lose the $10 mil hit for Matthews. Perry's cap hit does go up, but there is some wiggle room at that position.

That said, great pass rushers don't hit the open market that often and when they do, they generally get ridiculous contracts. Ingram got $66 million with $42 guaranteed over 4 years last year. Can't imagine Ziggy getting a lot less than that.
dhazer
6 years ago
I am predicting a shocking pick, I am going to say we draft Lamar Jackson QB Louisville or Josh Allen QB Wyoming. Ted Thompson did it his first year and I see the same thing happening. Let him sit behind Rodgers a few years and then hand him the reigns and trade off AR.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
6 years ago

I am predicting a shocking pick, I am going to say we draft Lamar Jackson QB Louisville or Josh Allen QB Wyoming. Ted Thompson did it his first year and I see the same thing happening. Let him sit behind Rodgers a few years and then hand him the reigns and trade off AR.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Jackson would be amazing to pick up. McCarthy could prove being a top notch QB groomer by getting his accuracy fixes up and you have one of the most electrifying QBs for the next 8 years.

That said, Jackson at 14 isn't as big of a steal as Rodgers at 24, Rodgers is a bit younger than Favre was and Rodgers hasn't given any indication of retiring yet.

I get where you're coming from and I wouldn't even hate that pick, but I don't see it happening.
warhawk
6 years ago

That sounds like Marcus Davenport, if he would ever reach his ceiling. That's one risky pick, though.

How about signing Ziggy Ansah and not going that route?

I mean, if you add Ansah to Perry and Matthews, you're pretty good for next year. Will be risky on the injury side, though, but he'll give you consistent pressure for a year or three.

We've already had Matthews' biggest cap hit this year and Perry's isn't that big next year, either. The year after that, you complete lose the $10 mil hit for Matthews. Perry's cap hit does go up, but there is some wiggle room at that position.

That said, great pass rushers don't hit the open market that often and when they do, they generally get ridiculous contracts. Ingram got $66 million with $42 guaranteed over 4 years last year. Can't imagine Ziggy getting a lot less than that.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I believe Gutekunst wiill focus on the back end of the roster in FA and shore up certain positions with a few solid veterans. They found out in a big way that to rely on young and inexperienced players to step in doesn't work out very well. These young guys just don't get enough practice time and are unprepared for what they see in real game situations. In other words they screw up way to much.

Rodgers can win just about any game if the rest of the team plays half way decent. Having a few more experienced backups when injuries occur would certainly help in that regard. Mike McCarthy mentioned the "gap" between starters and backups and HA HA, while who's he to talk, was accurate with what occurred on the field.

The draft is going to be interesting with 11 picks. Eleven rookies are not going to make this team or it would seem highly unlikely. Especially if they do sign a few vets in FA. So what Gutey does there is going to be fun to watch.

Yerko
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

I would cry so good...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (40m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.