RichMcGeorge
6 years ago
Looking back on the additions and subtractions to the Packers roster after the 2016 ended, it is almost unbelievable how bad things turned out during the 2017.

Through a combination of bad luck and poor management decisions, the additions to the roster did very little to help the team and the subtractions really hurt. Here is a recap.

1) Bennett signed as a free agent tight end. He was terrible on the field and even worse off of it before he was cut.
2) Kendricks signed as a free agent tight end. He was so bad, he made Richard Rodgers look decent.
3) Brooks signed as a free agent outside linebacker. Despite no previous injury history he got hurt and contributed 1.5 sacks. No help at all to an anemic pass rush.
4) House signed as a free agent cornerback. If not for the fact his play was never better than mediocre and he was injured a lot, this would have been a decent signing.
5) Francois signed as a free agent defensive lineman. Not a big deal that he was let go and is now on his way to the Super Bowl with the Patriots. Just added nothing to Green Bay .
6) Dial signed as a defensive lineman. Who?
7) King the top pick was injured when selected, played a few games, finished with zero interceptions, and went on injured reserve to repair an injury he sustained in college.
8) Second pick J. Jones played a lot and looked absolutely lost and overmatched in Dom's complicated defense as the season wore on.
9) Third pick Adams got injured and did nothing.
10) Fourth pick Biegel was hurt when drafted, went on PUP, returned to play and added nothing.
11) Hyde and Peppers were let go only to have great years in Buffalo and Carolina.

Jahri Evans was a decent replacement for Lang and Williams and Jones were good running back draft picks. But besides these guys, it is hard to imagine that the Packers 2018 offseason will offer as little help to the 2018 roster as was the case last offseason.
beast
6 years ago

Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it!

Packers fans asked for Thompson to use free agency a lot more, and when he did, it was "unbelievably horrible"... just like Packers fans demanding Punter Jon Ryan being released because he's too inconsistent and ended up getting the extremely consistent (but horrible) punter Derrick Frost.

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
6 years ago

1) Bennett signed as a free agent tight end. He was terrible on the field and even worse off of it before he was cut.
2) Kendricks signed as a free agent tight end. He was so bad, he made Richard Rodgers look decent.
3) Brooks signed as a free agent outside linebacker. Despite no previous injury history he got hurt and contributed 1.5 sacks. No help at all to an anemic pass rush.
4) House signed as a free agent cornerback. If not for the fact his play was never better than mediocre and he was injured a lot, this would have been a decent signing.
5) Francois signed as a free agent defensive lineman. Not a big deal that he was let go and is now on his way to the Super Bowl with the Patriots. Just added nothing to Green Bay .
6) Dial signed as a defensive lineman. Who?
7) King the top pick was injured when selected, played a few games, finished with zero interceptions, and went on injured reserve to repair an injury he sustained in college.
8) Second pick J. Jones played a lot and looked absolutely lost and overmatched in Dom's complicated defense as the season wore on.
9) Third pick Adams got injured and did nothing.
10) Fourth pick Biegel was hurt when drafted, went on PUP, returned to play and added nothing.
11) Hyde and Peppers were let go only to have great years in Buffalo and Carolina.

Originally Posted by: RichMcGeorge 

1. That turned out to be a bad deal but he was contributing to this team even when he wasn't catching the ball.
2. No argument there. Richard Rodgers is decent regardless, however.
3. Brooks did some good things, especially in the 2nd half of the season. I saw him effecting plays a lot, actually.
4. Can't predict injuries.
5. We have depth at DT.
6. The fact that you don't know who he is doesn't make the signing a horrible one.
7. He needs to get his shoulder right and put on a little more lean muscle. I believe he can and will do both.
8. J. Jones played too many positions in the defense for a rookie. When he settles into one main role, he will be effective. This defense had way too many moving parts and that was not his fault.
9. Adams will do something. In the meantime, Clark, Daniels, Lowry, and Dial did enough in his absence.
10. Biegel only got his feet wet but effected plays even when he wasn't the one making the final tackle. He's got a lot of upside.
11. You can't keep 'em all.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Cheesey
6 years ago
If you want decent players in FA, you have to be willing to open up your wallet and go after some REAL talent, not so so players.
You can't wait for "bargain basement" guys and expect pro bowl worthy results.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
6 years ago

1. That turned out to be a bad deal but he was contributing to this team even when he wasn't catching the ball.
2. No argument there. Richard Rodgers is decent regardless, however.
3. Brooks did some good things, especially in the 2nd half of the season. I saw him effecting plays a lot, actually.
4. Can't predict injuries.
5. We have depth at DT.
6. The fact that you don't know who he is doesn't make the signing a horrible one.
7. He needs to get his shoulder right and put on a little more lean muscle. I believe he can and will do both.
8. J. Jones played too many positions in the defense for a rookie. When he settles into one main role, he will be effective. This defense had way too many moving parts and that was not his fault.
9. Adams will do something. In the meantime, Clark, Daniels, Lowry, and Dial did enough in his absence.
10. Biegel only got his feet wet but effected plays even when he wasn't the one making the final tackle. He's got a lot of upside.
11. You can't keep 'em all.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I agree. While much of what Rich stated is true for 2017 there is reason for optimism in 2018. King, Randall, Martinez, Clark, should all help the D get better. Don't fall asleep on Adams. He can play too. Ha Ha needs to pick up his game but it's not like he hasn't shown he can play. I don't expect a repeat by him. If they can add a pass rusher and CB they will be good. Get one in that first round and one in FA and Pettine should have plenty to work with.
I do't expect top 10 in Pettine's first year. Top 15 would be far better than what we've seen and not out of the realm.
I believe it's an important draft. A couple of rookies making an impact would be huge. It's also part of the recipe other teams that turned things around quickly had happen for them.

"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
6 years ago

Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it!

Packers fans asked for Thompson to use free agency a lot more, and when he did, it was "unbelievably horrible"... just like Packers fans demanding Punter Jon Ryan being released because he's too inconsistent and ended up getting the extremely consistent (but horrible) punter Derrick Frost.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Thank you. 👍
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
6 years ago

I agree. While much of what Rich stated is true for 2017 there is reason for optimism in 2018. King, Randall, Martinez, Clark, should all help the D get better. Don't fall asleep on Adams. He can play too. Ha Ha needs to pick up his game but it's not like he hasn't shown he can play. I don't expect a repeat by him. If they can add a pass rusher and CB they will be good. Get one in that first round and one in FA and Pettine should have plenty to work with.
I do't expect top 10 in Pettine's first year. Top 15 would be far better than what we've seen and not out of the realm.
I believe it's an important draft. A couple of rookies making an impact would be huge. It's also part of the recipe other teams that turned things around quickly had happen for them.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

This group of players is much better than the way they performed under Dom this past season.

I even suspect that Pettine will be able to scheme Clay to the QB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
It is interesting to read how some fans support the notion of collecting as many draft picks as possible (even if the extra picks are in the 5th 6th and 7th rounds) because doing so gives GB more chances to find someone who becomes an above average player.

At the same time they don't use the same reasoning when it comes to free agents. The more people GB brings in the better the odds are they will get a player who helps put them over the top.

People are quick to point out the free agent failures and suggest that is why GB shouldn't try and acquire higher quality FAs instead of the low risk, low reward FAs who won't impact their ability to accumulate comp draft picks. They don't point to the draft pick failures. No one has ever suggested GB not participate in the draft.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing GB spend some money and shop from the top 10-15 FA list every once in a while even if it means they don't get a 5th round comp pick. Not every one they sign will work out but that doesn't mean they should quit or worse yet not even try. I have not seen anyone say they are afraid to get a twenty dollar bill because they know there are counterfeit twenties out there too.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Free agents are financial risk more than your 5th or later round draft picks. They also have been brought into the NFL in different systems and different habits and you have to break them of that (sometimes, but in some case [e.g. Charles Woodson] they bring veteran savvy, something we desperately need). It's more efficient to add someone younger and possibly more athletic to do the same thing at cheaper price. That's not saying to ignore free agency, it's saying don't be an idiot and pay superstar money to a "top 10" free agent talent that's barely above average.

Every single year we hear people whine that we should be more active in free agency. Yet, they offer no names. Yet, they have no recall on how free agent signings of two plus years prior shook out for the new teams. Screw the top 5 free agents and even top 10. It's a waste of money nearly every single time and we have an elite QB who's eating up a large chunk of our salary cap. We need to strike hard on the second tier free agents and for the love of God, have better damn coaching!

I've always felt you find the best FOOTBALL PLAYERS and not simply go after the best athletes. A project every other year is fine, but it feels to me we have numerous projects every year.

I love the analogy of counterfeit $20 bills because that happens exactly as often as wasted money on free agents. Oh, wait, it isn't even freaking close! I've had hundreds upon hundreds of $20 bills checked and never once was one counterfeit, but two out of every three free agents I want the Packers to sign is "counterfeit". Such analogy shows how we do not understand the totality of free agency, salary cap, team fit, scheme, etc into the big picture. By no means am I saying I do because I'm a clueless shit.
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
I love green bay but its small size means free agents are not keen on playing there unless the money is right. Also I believe 90% of teams who let a player hit free agency do so for good reason, otherwise they'd pony up and pay said player themselves.

So most top tier free agents will want to be overpaid and could be headaches like Bennett. The type of free agent green bay should be targeting are older vets who want another shot at a ring with Rodgers. Or guys like cook who think they can turn a 1 year prove it deal into a long-term contract elsewhere.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.