Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
Many of us could stand to loose a few (or more) pounds of weight. I must include myself in the group. It is my hope that this thread will serve as a place for ideas, support, and success/failure stories.

To begin with, let us start a list of bad eating habits. Foods and beverages that need to be avoided in order to loose weight.

Soda Drinks like: Pepsi, Coke, Dr.Pepper, Mountain Dew, etc.
Snacks like: Potato Chips, Corn Chips, Cheese Curls, Tortilla Chips, etc.
Bread and Crackers
Fast Food like: Pizza, Burritos, Hamburgers, French Fries, Breakfast Biscuits, etc.
Potatoes, Rice, Pasta, etc.

Another list needs to contain good things can help us loose weight.

Citrus Fruits like: Oranges, Grapefruit, Tangerines, etc.
Water, lots of Water
Coffee/Tea (no sugar added)
Vegetables like: Carrots, Celery, Peppers, Cucumber, etc.
Fruits like: Apples, Pears, Grapes, etc.

Exercise is recommended to loose calories/weight. If you are physically able to exercise, it's a good thing to do. Walking, Swimming, and Weight Training are a few ways to burn off those unwanted lb's.

This thread can also help to serve as a support group. We can help each other to be healthier.

👍

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
The heaviest I have ever been was 240 pounds. (I'm 5 foot 8)
9 years ago when I had my open heart surgery, I weighed 230. Since then I've worked hard to lose weight, and to keep it off. Walking was my biggest thing that helped a lot. Cutting back on portion size is big too.
I weighed myself this morning, and I'm at 179 pounds. First time I've been below 180 pounds since about the mid 1980s.
It's not easy. My weak spot is potato chips!
Don't cut out all treats, as that will most likely make you give up.
PORTION SIZE is a biggey! Have a little of a treat, and you won't feel like you gave up all the food you like.
My wife has lost 4 pounds in the last couple weeks. Portion size being the biggest change.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
PackersHome. 😝

I drink between 60 to 70oz of water everyday. I don't hardly ever drink soda. I don't like candy or sweets. That alone I think helps me quite a bit. I'm not much of a junk food eater. Although, I do have a Wings addiction. I also like eating hard boiled eggs.

Something I've found that is also good is protein shakes. I've been alernating between Advant EDGE (30g protein) and EAS Myoplex (42g protein). Something to keep in mind is that all protein's are not the same.

It's really good to have a plan, not insanely aggressive plan. Start small. Wake up every day and do one push up in the morning. After two weeks, grow to 3 push ups. This is something small and it will help you psychologically boost your confidence moving forward beacuse you started the day with a goal and achieved it.

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
Smokey what you have listed is a great start. Like Zero I like the protein shakes as well, just make sure to check the carb levels.

I would also recommend getting your Vitamin B12 levels checked. Mine at one point was extremely low, once I started taking supplements I noticed my energy increasing.

Drinking water before you eat is a good way to reduce your calories intake as well.

Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
Reducing portion sizes, drinking lots of water, vitamin B12, and Protein Shakes are all fine diet ideas. We have made a fine start, but I know that we can continue to add to this thread.

Exercise has already been mentioned and should be part of a successful diet plan. If you can exercise that is. However for some of us exercise is not an option due to health issues.

As yet little has been posted about meals. Garden Salads with low cal. dressing or no dressing can't be our sole menu. Any Ideas on this area will be gratefully received. [biggrin]

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

As yet little has been posted about meals.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

You want meals? Here's a good starting spot for ya.

http://www.teamunify.com/cast/__doc__/Insanity%20Nutrition%20Guide.pdf 

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago

You want meals? Here's a good starting spot for ya.

http://www.teamunify.com/cast/__doc__/Insanity%20Nutrition%20Guide.pdf 

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Thank you Zero, but this thread is for all members and not just for myself.

Here's an idea that I saw recently. Instead of using bread for your sandwich, try rolling lean sliced meat / cheese in lettuce leaves. It's a simple idea that most of us could do.

Chicken is a prime meat for dieters. Any Tasty / Low Cal. recipes would be most welcome.
Fish too can be a great diet meat. Baked, broiled, grilled, etc., Looking for some great Low Cal. ideas.

Snacking on Raw Vegetables can be a great way to replace those Potato Chips / Corn Chips.

Water can get a bit boring, try adding a few drops of lemon juice or some other flavoring.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Using wraps in place of bread for sandwiches is something we do too.

I weighed myself this morning...back to 180! Darn!😂

I had to shovel a lot between last night and this morning. Lots of heavy, wet snow. That's my workout for today!
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
As I have posted before, exercise should be part of any diet plan. Yet some of us, including myself, have medical issues that prevent us from burning up calories exercising. This makes it even harder to loose weight. As a result, more focus must be paid to what / how much we eat. Self-discipline is the key to success.

Still looking for those tasty low cal recipes. [biggrin]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
That's true, Smokey. Not being able to exercise, at least to some extent, makes it VERY hard to lose weight.
Even a small amount of exercise does help. Walking around your house for example, can help.
Or sitting in a chair and lifting small weights (or something like cans of soup, if you don't have actual weights) can also help.
You can build up strength that way.
I don't know what your physical afflictions are that affect your ability to exercise. I also have several physical problems that affect what I can and can't do.
You have to be smart when it comes to these kinds of things. Building yourself up slowly worked for me. Especially after my open heart surgery. I couldn't walk 10 feet easily before that. I have worked my way up where now I can walk a couple miles at a time.
Of course being winter here, with the ice and all, I haven't been able to get outside much. Today it's melting, and I walked to the library to post here. About a half a mile each way.
I have to be VERY cautious, as I had the spinal fusion surgery, and if I fall I would be in GREAT danger.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18m) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (16h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.