DoddPower
6 years ago

If the Bears decline Josh Sitton’s 2018 option, the Packers should pounce. Just before the opening week of the 2016 season, the Green Bay Packers  surprisingly released Pro Bowl  guard Josh Sitton  rather than allow him to play out the final year of his contract. That decision broke up the best guard combination in the league, a move completed by T.J. Lang’s departure to the Detroit Lions  last offseason. While Lang remains entrenched in Detroit, the Packers could receive a chance to fix part of that mistake in the coming months.
Sitton, who just completed his second season with the Chicago Bears , has a team option for 2018. Between Feb. 9 and March 10, the Bears must elect to either pick up that option (worth $8 million when coupled with his workout and roster bonuses) or decline it, allowing Sitton to hit unrestricted free agency. Should the latter occur, the Packers should think long and hard about bringing back the veteran guard.
On paper, the Bears have plenty of motivation to keep Sitton in town. The team invested considerable resources to acquire quarterback Mitchell Trubisky , and ensuring adequate pass protection could prove the difference between developing the 2017 first-round pick into a franchise passer or adding him to the pile of busted Bears signal-callers. Furthermore, Sitton continues to play at a high level, and while he has missed six games since arriving in Chicago, he remains a reasonable value at a cap hit around $8.6 million.
At the same time, the Bears could let Sitton walk and bring in his successor through the draft. Many prognosticators have tied the team to an offensive lineman like Notre Dame’s Quenton Nelson in the first round, including SB Nation’s Dan Kadar . For Chicago to get the most out a high selection like Nelson, opening a spot along the interior offensive line makes some sense. And while Sitton remains a reliable pass protector, the future looks more limited for the soon-to-be 32-year-old. While letting Sitton leave Chicago still seems like a stretch at this stage, the possibility cannot be entirely discounted.
But does a reunion make sense for the Packers? While Green Bay allowed 51 sacks in 2017 (fifth most in the NFL), much of the blame falls on the shoulders of Brett Hundley , who made nine starts, played the vast majority of a 10th game, and routinely held onto the ball too long (3 seconds on average, fourth longest out of the 41 qualified passers, per NFL Next Gen Stats ). As for the ground game, the Packers finished the season ranked fourth in offensive rushing by DVOA . Taken in context, Green Bay’s offensive line performed admirably this past year.
Still, the Packers depended on 34-year-old veteran Jahri Evans  to keep the O-line operational. Evans outperformed expectations considering he remained unsigned until one day before the 2017 NFL Draft , but he didn’t provide the consistency or all-around game of his predecessor Lang. Evans could return to Green Bay for his 13th NFL season, but the deterioration from the All-Pro form he displayed with the New Orleans Saints  would likely continue unabated.
While Sitton too has regressed in recent years, he remains an above-average guard familiar with the Packers offense and personnel. He could step in for Evans at right guard, where he played the first five seasons of his NFL career. Alternatively, Green Bay could place Sitton back at left guard with Lane Taylor  moving over to the right side where he previously played. Either configuration would provide a stronger offensive interior than the one Green Bay had last season.
That improvement could become critical should the Packers endure more issues at offensive tackle. Since signing a multiyear extension in 2015, Bryan Bulaga  has endured several injuries including a season-ending ACL tear this past November. The team has given no indications that it plans to move on from Bulaga, but the severity of his injury could force the front office to consider other options, even underperforming former second-round pick Jason Spriggs. If Green Bay has to break in a new starter at right tackle, having a solidified interior O-line would help expedite the transition.
Bringing back Sitton could provide benefits off the field as well. By all accounts, the veteran guard got along well with his fellow offensive linemen as well as Aaron Rodgers. The latter could prove especially meaningful given Rodgers’ contract status. The Packers will likely open negotiations with Rodgers on a new deal sometime over the next 12 months. While Rodgers doesn’t appear likely to leave Green Bay, returning one of his favorite linemen could erase any doubt.
But would Sitton consider a reunion with the team that unceremoniously cut him on the eve of the 2016 season? While he might harbor lingering angst, the organization has changed drastically in the time since his departure. Brian Gutekunst now directs the front office while former general manager Ted Thompson has moved into the background as a glorified scout. Eliot Wolf, then the director of football operations, has left for the Cleveland Browns . Unless head coach Mike McCarthy ultimately made the push to cut the Pro Bowl guard -- unlikely given his dependence on Sitton in the past and his reported desire to see the team add talent rather than lose it in free agency -- it seems Sitton would find a more agreeable situation than the one he left two seasons ago.
All of this highlights the value for both sides in reuniting. Sitton can return to the place where he won a Super Bowl  and compete for another while the Packers can improve their offensive line and reduce the risk of another major injury sidelining Rodgers and derailing their season. It would make for the rare win-win proposition in the NFL.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/1/29/16946868/josh-sitton-packers-bears-free-agency-2018-option-decline-green-bay-reunion-nfl-2018]Jason B. Hirschhorn 

Jason B. Hirschhorn wrote:

Well this seems incredibly unlikely.
isocleas2
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Incredibly unlikely sounds right. I wouldn't mind bringing Sitton back on a 1-2 year deal like Evans got but he's not the same player he was 5 years ago. Also the way he was cut right before the season I still think there's some truth to the rumours there was a locker room problem that led to him being released. I'm not sure that issue has been resolved.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I have to agree.

It's always annoying when the media type people try to come up with non-stories during a slow Packers news day in a slow Packers news week that is also a slow Packers news month. They don't have anything to talk about but need their jobs so they scrabble looking for something, anything no matter how unrealistic it is and run it out there hoping someone will look at it. This rates just above the story that Teddy is carrying the love child of aliens.

I hate it when players are called a "Pro Bowl player" years after they received the "honor". Sutton is a former pro bowl player. He didn't make the team in 2017. While he did the prior 3 seasons he failed to win the beauty contest this season therefore he shouldn't be called one. I will agree it is not as much of an issue as it is when a player is given the title 5 or 6 years after going to the Pro Bowl. It's like telling us someone has "4.2 speed" 10 years after they ran that fast at the Combine. It's possible Sitton played well enough to be one of the best OG in the NFL but that is one of the issues with the Pro Bowl. They don't always give the award to the most qualified players. Therefore calling Sitton a Pro Bowl player is questionable because there is no guarantee he was the best player in the years he won the award.

Hirschhorn goes on to say that Evans is aging an thus losing his playing skills but conveniently overlooks Sitton's diminishing play. He doesn't mention that Sitton had to sit out 6 games over the last 2 seasons. That as Father Time creeps up on him, it is more and more likely to be the norm instead of the exception.

Most critical fact that was overlooked is if the Bears don't think Sitton is worth $8.6 million why should GB think he is worth that much or something close to it?

He isn't the player he once was. The locker room issues have not disappeared.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
According to Aaron Nagler, nothing was confirmed except he claims to "know" Thompson and McCarthy got tired of "his act". Sitton wasn't released because we needed money or his play drastically declined. He was released because did something unacceptable, or something that pushed the scale of releasing him vs keeping him into the release direction.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (18h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (23h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.