DoddPower
6 years ago

CLOSE<p>Aaron Nagler hosted a Facebook Live session with readers to discuss the latest Packers news. (Feb. 1, 2018)<p>A fresh Instagram account belonging …

Continue Reading @ Flipboard 

Flipboard wrote:

He openly admits in the quoted interview that one more concussion and he's done.
Rockmolder
6 years ago

He openly admits in the quoted interview that one more concussion and he's done.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

You'd have to hope, for his sake, that no one picks him up. I love the guy on the field, but there's enough damage done there, as it is.

Q: Do you have any concerns about your future health?

A: No, I don’t think so. I think I’m back to my normal self. I can just take one day at a time and try to keep conditioning to get myself ready for whatever, March or April, whatever team picks me up so I can be ready to go.

Q: Is this the type of situation where suffering another concussion would mean you definitely have to walk away? Or can you continue to play if it happens again?

A: Nah, that’s it. That’s a wrap.

Q: So one more concussion and you’re done?

A: Yeah.

I can't see how you can state both these things in one interview. You can't possibly don't feel like you won't have any long-term issues after having months of constant headaches, which get even worse when looking into light, knowing what's happening to some of these former players and accepting that one more concussion and you're done for...

I can see why you'd want to keep on playing and that's admirable, but man, you're playing with the rest of your life here.
gbguy20
6 years ago
Someone needs to send him the article about 43 year old rob Kelly.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
6 years ago
I never had close to the level of talent of that Sam Shields has, but I had the same aspirations. My sophomore year at college, I got a couple of concussions. Thank God, the coaches shut me down. I came back my junior year in great shape, but the second day of contact, another one....I was done.

Dealing with the loss of the opportunity was very difficult, especially in the moment. In many ways however, a year later, when most of the cobwebs had cleared, it was even more difficult. When you are at that point in time, you think, "hey, I'm healed...and I may not get another one."

This is probably the point in rationalization Sam is at present. Its very difficult for him to stop trying to do something that he has enjoyed doing since his youth. It is fundamental part of his self-identity.

I had people in my life who talked me out of trying to play....I hope Sam has the same kind of people in his life. He has to redefine himself and work himself into a role he can enthusiastically embrace.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

I never had close to the level of talent of that Sam Shields has, but I had the same aspirations. My sophomore year at college, I got a couple of concussions. Thank God, the coaches shut me down. I came back my junior year in great shape, but the second day of contact, another one....I was done.

Dealing with the loss of the opportunity was very difficult, especially in the moment. In many ways however, a year later, when most of the cobwebs had cleared, it was even more difficult. When you are at that point in time, you think, "hey, I'm healed...and I may not get another one."

This is probably the point in rationalization Sam is at present. Its very difficult for him to stop trying to do something that he has enjoyed doing since his youth. It is fundamental part of his self-identity.

I had people in my life who talked me out of trying to play....I hope Sam has the same kind of people in his life. He has to redefine himself and work himself into a role he can enthusiastically embrace.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Over the years I have watched so many professionals struggle with the concept of leaving the game they love so much when time caught up to them. I won't say they didn't have injuries because it seems as if every professional has had to battle through a number of them.

Last night I saw the movie "Concussion" for the 5th or 6th time. I wonder how anyone can want to play the game.
the other thing I wonder about is after Aaron had his second concussion they came up with a new helmet that was supposed to lessen the chance. That's the last I heard about it. I would think if it helps Aaron why doesn't every player wear one.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
There is no helmet that can stop concussions because a concussion is not caused by the skull slamming into the helmet, or a helmet slamming into a helmet. It is the brain slamming into the skull. The only thing that can stop that is standing on the sidelines not getting your head slammed around.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

There is no helmet that can stop concussions because a concussion is not caused by the skull slamming into the helmet, or a helmet slamming into a helmet. It is the brain slamming into the skull. The only thing that can stop that is standing on the sidelines not getting your head slammed around.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I understand that. For years I have been tell my clients after they have been in a car accident that there are 3 impacts. Their car hitting another object. Their body hitting something, the seat belt or steering wheel or windshield. And their brain hitting their skull.

My point was Rodgers used this "new technology" helmet and didn't have any more concussions. It is probably a coincidence but no one has said anything about it on way or the other. I was wondering if the helmet absorbs more of the energy of the impact then the impact of the brain on the skull should be lessened and that would be a good thing.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
All about momentum. No amount of cushion technology in a helmet will help. If a skull stops dead on an impact the brain is going to hit it hard, even with the world's best pillow inside the helmet. NFL needs to switch back to leather helmets, it's the only way to change the way the game is played enough to avoid head trauma. I'm not trying to argue with you by the way, I'm sure Rodgers is wearing a special helmet. I'm just arguing that all helmets are worthless preventing concussions.
isocleas2
6 years ago
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/02/02/woodpeckers-may-get-brain-damage-from-banging-their-heads-against-trees/?utm_term=.dbfae1129093  Even the woodpeckers are getting brain damage!

I always liked shields and enjoyed his story from undrafted WR convert to a top CB, but I hope I never see him line up another down again. I don't want to see what happened to Seau and so many other great players happen to him.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Stop all concussions, no, but there are designs that can lessen the impact which can reduce the amount of concussions and reduce severity.

As for Sam Shields, when he said one more concussion and I'm done, I told myself, buddy, you are done. You can't play scared and I think if you're saying one more and you're done, you're done.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.