Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
isocleas2  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 3:21:03 PM(UTC)
https://www.acmepackingc...s-in-green-bay-again-nfl

I honestly didn't study Edmunds much because I assumed he was going to be an inside linebacker, but at 6"5 250 pounds he's got the body of a OLB or some kind of hybrid.

The more I read about him the more I think he could be the guy at #14, could check off alot of boxes so to speak.
Rockmolder  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:18:17 AM(UTC)
He has the potential to become one of the best ILBs in the league. It's not a position I'd like to put the 14th overall pick towards, but I'd be ok with this.

There's just one thing that worries me. He's been making plays on size and speed alone. If you're that much better than your peers, it's not that big a deal, but going to the NFL, that advantage won't be as big. Not having the instincts and smarts you'd like to see at ILB might hamper his development into that All Pro he's projected to become. It just reminds me of the craze about Vernon Gholston, for instance. Crazy height/weight/speed numbers, dominant in college, but couldn't get it going in the NFL.

Then again... Daniel Jeremiah has him as his 3rd best prospect in this entire draft. And he's a guy, I think, who knows what he's talking about. Looking at it like that, he could be a huge steal.
wpr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:38:33 AM(UTC)
I don't think he will be there at 14. Some consider him the 2nd best OLB. Rocky, why would you move him inside? Don't you think he can pressure the QB from the edge?
yooperfan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:12:40 AM(UTC)
It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we were able to get him at 14, like WPR I just don't think he will be there.
There is no doubt in my mind that we will get a high profile defensive player with the 14th pick.
DarkaneRules  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:24:05 AM(UTC)
I know we've all got out eyes on pass rushers but how angry would you be if we got an offensive lineman or gamechanging offensive playmaker. I want to protect the franchise QB and give him someone who can get separation and break the game open.
wpr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:26:10 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
I know we've all got out eyes on pass rushers but how angry would you be if we got an offensive lineman or gamechanging offensive playmaker. I want to protect the franchise QB and give him someone who can get separation and break the game open.

Calvin Ridley WR out of Bama.
DarkaneRules  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:27:12 AM(UTC)
I like Courtland Sutton from SMU. These are a good crop of receivers.
Rockmolder  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:56:26 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't think he will be there at 14. Some consider him the 2nd best OLB. Rocky, why would you move him inside? Don't you think he can pressure the QB from the edge?

I think he can, but there's two reasons why I think he'd see more action as an ILB in our defense right now.

First of all, if you look at his overall skillset, pass rushing might just be his weakest point. It's not bad, but the way he runs around the field as a 4-3 OLB is absolutely amazing. I think that translates better to a 3-4 ILB. Also, the dissecting of plays and football knowledge show up here, again. I don't know if he'll be as good in setting the edge and reading plays quickly. He certainly isn't now. I think not having to play along the line gives him more of a chance to react and use his amazing height/weight/speed.

Next to that, I'd think he'd take Jake Ryan's place in our base defense, assuming we keep Clay around. He's more pro-ready at that position and you want your best players on the field as much as possible. To me, that'd be Matthews - Edmunds - Martinez - Perry at LB. Especially since Martinez is a bright guy who can make calls for the LB unit, which gives Edmunds the chance to just play.

Then, if he pans out as even 60% of what the scounts are saying right now, I don't see our coaching staff having him change positions, unless we're in a very dire situation (like when Matthews had to play ILB).

Maybe I'm wrong, though. DE/OLBs are a lot more in demand than ILB/OLBs.

I'd love to hear what Porky thinks. Compared to him I'm just talking out of my behind.
Rockmolder  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:04:28 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
Calvin Ridley WR out of Bama.

That'd be amazing. We'll have to hope he won't have a ridiculous combine, though, or he'll be long gone before we're picking.
DarkaneRules  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:10:00 AM(UTC)
My take on the Edmunds thing is we could definitely use him at ILB, but I do like Josh Jones's potential mixing it up in there. Edmunds could be more multiple around the LOS, whereas Jones is more multiple in the defensive backfield. I still like Ryan and Martinez and we have to assume we won't be in base enough, so this guy will have to factor in to be a 4 down player. We do need a bit more violence at ILB, to be sure, but we need a more substantial pass rush above all else, on defense.
yooperfan  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:09:31 AM(UTC)
I like Courtland Sutton from SMU. These are a good crop of receivers.

I'm thinking we can get a pretty darn good receiver in rounds 2 or 3.
I'd much rather see a defensive difference maker in round 1.
TheKanataThrilla  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:53:28 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm thinking we can get a pretty darn good receiver in rounds 2 or 3.

Jake Wieneke. This year's Cooper Kupp. Big stats from a small school. He is slowly climbing up draft boards.
isocleas2  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:24:59 PM(UTC)
If the Packers feel he can rush the edge he's a steal, play him in jake Ryan's place on 1st down then move him outside on passing downs. If he only projects as an ILB he's not nearly as tempting.
sschind  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:16:29 PM(UTC)

I do think an impact pass rusher is our most important need and I know it sounds like a cop out but I honestly just hope we get an impact player at 14. If its a pass rusher great because we certainly need it but we need help elsewhere as well. We have to address the WR situation going forward. Maybe not for this season if Nelson and Cobb return but certainly in the near future. If one of the stud WRs is there I wouldn't mind taking him. If a big guy is there on the OL I wouldn't mind that either.

I hate saying "take the best player available" because at any given point in the draft there may be as many as half a dozen "best players" but at 14 I don't think I'd be to keen on taking a player who needs a year or 2 to develop. A year or 2 to hone his skills and get better sure but you should be able to get someone who can make an impact right away and that's what I want at almost any position. We have very few positions on this team that wouldn't benefit from an upgrade at the starting spot.
Rss Feed