Rockmolder
6 years ago
2018 Free Agency Preview: Green Bay Packers 
ProFootballFocus

An injury to star quarterback Aaron Rodgers crippled the Green Bay Packers’ 2017-18 season, as backup Brett Hundley simply couldn’t do enough to lead the team to the postseason with Rodgers on the shelf. However, it’s unfair to rest the entirety of Green Bay’s woes this past season on the quarterback position, as Hundley/Rodgers didn’t quite have an award-winning supporting cast on either side of the ball...

Pretty interesting read overall.

Rashaan Melvin played rather well this year, but it does feel like a bit of a gamble to sign a guy who's managed to put one good season together in a 5 year career. Then again, he might just be a late bloomer.
gbguy20
6 years ago
Incredibly short article. Is that really all the cap room we have? Talk about screwed. I was under the impression we were going to have much more than that. Cut cobb.
yooperfan
6 years ago
I too am shocked by how little cap space we have.
It's a shame that we have so much money tied up in such a rickety roster.
Thompson should have been gone a long time ago.
There's no doubt that they are going to have to dump some salary cap sponges if they're going to improve the roster.
Smokey
6 years ago

There's no doubt that they are going to have to dump some salary cap sponges if they're going to improve the roster.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Even with this years cap increase, I find that I must agree. The roster needs a complete reevaluation. Trades/releasing players may be an option, but who should be targeted ?
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

The cap situation isn't that bad none of the contracts have too much dead money so the Packers still have flexibility to do what they want. Also this rickety roster was in the nfc championship 2 years ago and 4-1 before rodgers got injures (despite the oline being decimated).

There are improvements I want as well but some of you ted haters are acting like you havnt seen the playoffs in a decade. Half the teams would kill to swap places with us next year. Learn to appreciate what ya got imo
Smokey
6 years ago

The cap situation isn't that bad none of the contracts have too much dead money so the Packers still have flexibility to do what they want. Also this rickety roster was in the nfc championship 2 years ago and 4-1 before rodgers got injures (despite the oline being decimated).

There are improvements I want as well but some of you ted haters are acting like you havnt seen the playoffs in a decade. Half the teams would kill to swap places with us next year. Learn to appreciate what ya got imo

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

It's not about not being in the recent playoffs, rather that Rodgers injury shown a spotlight on the rest of the 2017 Packers. It revealed a weak Defense that needs better players rushing and covering opposing teams Air Attacks.

TE and WR personal will also need a reevaluation as well.

A healthy 2018 Packers should make the Playoffs, the challenge is moving beyond the playoffs to a SB.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
6 years ago

Incredibly short article. Is that really all the cap room we have? Talk about screwed. I was under the impression we were going to have much more than that. Cut cobb.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

There's a couple of things of note, though.

They're taking the €4.2 million of dead cap from Bennett into account. As they should. But I'm hoping we'll get an update on getting that bonus for the coming two years back. It's been awfully silent, though.

Like you said, we can cut some guys to create some space. It's going to be interesting to see what Gutekunst does. I feel like it would've been a no-brainer to cut some of these guys if you got a GM coming in from the outside who has no real ties to anyone inside the organization, but you have to wonder if familiarity will make a difference here.

I mean, having nearly $37 million or more than 22% of your cap invested in Nelson, Cobb and Matthews is absurd when you look at it now. They've all been worth is at some point (maybe not Cobb), but you can't possibly build a competitive roster when shelling out that kind of money to guys who've obviously lost a step.

Lastly, I don't think they've accounted for the draft picks we'll need to sign. I know it'll bump some players off the roster, as well, but you have to imagine we'll be paying around $6-7 million if we don't trade up or down a lot.

If you don't cut anyone, I can't imagine we'll do anything in free agency, but hand out near-minimum contracts.

With all the talk about these new QB contracts and Rodgers' current contract being on the low side, I imagine the situation won't improve all that much anytime soon.
isocleas2
6 years ago

It's not about not being in the recent playoffs, rather that Rodgers injury shown a spotlight on the rest of the 2017 Packers. It revealed a weak Defense that needs better players rushing and covering opposing teams Air Attacks.

TE and WR personal will also need a reevaluation as well.

A healthy 2018 Packers should make the Playoffs, the challenge is moving beyond the playoffs to a SB.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Vegas still has the packers with the 2nd best odds to represent the NFC in the superbowl, I trust their opinion over virtually everyone else.

Look at who the patriots/eagles are set to lose this offseason, every team has holes they need to fill the Packers are no different. But the Packers are much closer to winning another superbowl than they are to needing a rebuild. I feel like sometimes in the wake of a down year people start losing perspective (hell some lost it before this year).

If they cut/rework some contracts they can fill some holes and draft early and often to fill the others. The future still looks bright in Green Bay 😁
Smokey
6 years ago
Looking at the 2017 Packers, it is obvious that without Aaron Rodgers they were not a playoff quality team. Furthermore, it showed that the teams weak links were being compensated for by one (brilliant) player. As a result Management and Coaching changes have been undertaken to correct those weak links (mainly on the Defense).

Free Agency, the draft, and trades are the main tools that GM's use to build teams. GB needed to change it's leadership if it expected to not repeat it's past. What the new regime will do remains to be seen and I will be watching.

😎

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Vegas still has the packers with the 2nd best odds to represent the NFC in the superbowl, I trust their opinion over virtually everyone else.

Look at who the patriots/eagles are set to lose this offseason, every team has holes they need to fill the Packers are no different. But the Packers are much closer to winning another superbowl than they are to needing a rebuild. I feel like sometimes in the wake of a down year people start losing perspective (hell some lost it before this year).

If they cut/rework some contracts they can fill some holes and draft early and often to fill the others. The future still looks bright in Green Bay 😁

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

I don't dispute most of what you are saying but using Vegas as a source is as bad as saying a player is very good because he made the Pro Bowl. Vegas doesn't care a bit about the talent on a team. All they want is half the suckers betting for and half the suckers betting against a team so none of the money comes out of their pocket. It's a popularity vote the same as the Pro Bowl is. Granted a 0-16 team is going to have longer odds of winning the SB just like a guy who blows out his ACL ain't going to the PB.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (8h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (11h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.