isocleas2
6 years ago
http://packerstalk.com/2018/02/08/free-agency-packers-should-target-cb-malcolm-butler/ 

I was reading this article about Malcolm Butler and I thought it made alot of sense. I don't know if Butler is who would fit best but I like the idea of trying to sign some CB help this offseason. It generally takes secondary players a few years to acclimate to the NFL, so even if the Packers draft someone like Ward or Josh Jackson at #14 it will take 2-3 years before they can really be counted on. Same with Wide Receiver, if there's a speedster worth gambling on this may be the year to do so.

Packers top needs for another deep playoff run:
-Edge Pass Rusher
-Tight End
-Outside WR
-CB
-Right guard/tackle

I'm hoping the Packers sign some FAs to fill 2 of those needs and draft to fill 3+ others.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Malcom Butler in the Super Bowl should lower his asking price simply because of the unknown.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
There will be other CBs available. I'm interested to see who becomes available while the offseason progresses. We really need to find a safety to replace Morgan Burnett or HaHa, and we need a pass rusher. I'm keen to look for those in the draft, but if a majorly talented CB falls to us, do we take them? I feel like you have to take the pass rusher or the safety over the CB, but just depends on the level of talent we'd be getting.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
Here is Gregg Rosenthal's list .

As you see by his #1, many of these guys will not be allowed to walk.

1 Jimmy Garoppolo QB 49ers

2 Kirk Cousins QB Redskins

3 Drew Brees QB Saints

4 Le'Veon Bell RB Steelers

5 Demarcus Lawrence DE Cowboys

The 25-year-old timed his career season just right. There's no chance the Cowboys will allow the breakout pass rusher to leave, so a franchise tag appears likely here.

6 Allen Robinson WR Jaguars

He's coming off a torn ACL, but Robinson had already established himself as one of the best young receivers in football before the injury. Considering how much money the Jaguars have spent on the defense, it would make no sense for them to let an offensive cornerstone get away.

7 Teddy Bridgewater QB Vikings

8 Sheldon Richardson DT Seahawks
Seattle gave up a second-round pick to acquire Richardson in a win-now move. It will be telling to see if the Seahawks try to keep him after a good, not great, season. It's a little worrisome that Richardson's best play came way back in 2014.

9 Ezekiel Ansah DE Lions

He would have been better off hitting free agency before two injury-plagued years, but Ansah is still a strong every-down starter at a position with few quality options in free agency.

10 Jarvis Landry WR Dolphins

Only Antonio Brown and Julio Jones have caught more passes than Landry since the LSU product entered the league in 2014. He doesn't have the downfield chops to earn No. 1 receiver money, but a difference-maker in the slot is still plenty worthy, and it sounds like the Dolphins might be ready to say goodbye.

11 Sammy Watkins WR Rams

For all the potential here, Watkins has only produced 1,023 yards over the last two years combined. Jared Goff looked to Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp more often than he did to Watkins, but the Rams might use the franchise tag on the 24-year-old to see if they can get more out of him after a full offseason of work.

12 Lamarcus Joyner DB Rams

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips knew just how to maximize Joyner as a safety/cornerback hybrid who loves to hit and can cover the slot. There are a lot of teams looking for a player just like Joyner, and the Rams have a long to-do list this offseason. Speaking of which ...

13 Trumaine Johnson CB Rams

The best cornerback on one of the best teams in football often traveled with the opposition's best receiver. Johnson is just the type of quality starter/sub- Pro Bowl player who often gets paid like a superstar in free agency.

14 Case Keenum QB Vikings

15 Andrew Norwell OG Panthers

16 Malcolm Butler CB Patriots

A hanging contract situation and the arrival of Stephon Gilmore has loomed over Butler's worst season as a starter, but he still plays the position with rare tenacity. It sure looks like Bill Belichick will let Butler's storybook career go elsewhere.

17 Dontari Poe DT Falcons

Unhappy with the offers in last year's market, Poe settled for a one-year "prove-it" deal. He proved he's a quality rotational player, but probably not worth the top-notch deal he's looking for.

18 Dion Lewis RB Patriots

19 Justin Pugh G Giants

20 Nate Solder T Patriots

21 Sam Bradford QB Vikings

22 Star Lotulelei DT Panthers

He hasn't quite lived up to his billing as a dominant run-stuffer, but there are only so many humans his size with his playing experience.

23 Bashaud Breeland CB Redskins

Breeland is not as steady as teams want a No. 1 cornerback to be, but his top-end ability will tempt some team to spend big money.

24 Morgan Burnett S Packers
A reliable starting safety whose value often was best seen when he was out of the lineup for Green Bay.

25 Carlos Hyde RB 49ers

Notable omissions (in alphabetical order):

Nigel Bradham, LB, Eagles
Vontae Davis, CB, free agent
Tyler Eifert, TE, Bengals
Jimmy Graham, TE, Seahawks
Brent Grimes, CB, Buccaneers
Marqise Lee, WR, Jaguars
Jordan Matthews, WR, Bills
Jerick McKinnon, RB, Vikings
Julius Peppers, DE, Panthers
Terrelle Pryor, WR, Redskins
Eric Reid, S, 49ers
Weston Richburg, C, Giants
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Saints
Mike Wallace, WR, Ravens

If Watkins is allowed to hit the open market I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with Aaron throwing him the rock.
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
6 years ago
I personally think both Jordan Matthews and Josh Gordon are better than Sammy Watkins with Allen Robinson being the high profile target this year for any team looking at a WR.

As far as corner goes, Butler would be nice. So would Joyner, who seems to be a hybrid fit for our D.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Rockmolder
6 years ago

I personally think both Jordan Matthews and Josh Gordon are better than Sammy Watkins with Allen Robinson being the high profile target this year for any team looking at a WR.

As far as corner goes, Butler would be nice. So would Joyner, who seems to be a hybrid fit for our D.

Originally Posted by: blueleopard 

Josh Gordon is by far the best guy on that list, talentwise. He'd be second on the single season receiving yardage record list if he didn't get suspended for two games in 2013. And that is as a Cleveland Brown... Being thrown the ball by three different quarterbacks during that season... And those QBs being Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden and Brian Hoyer...

He's also the biggest dumbass, though. I wouldn't want to give the guy any money. I doubt anyone gives him more than a one-year incentive laden contract, but I sitll wouldn't go for it. If you do sign him, you don't sign a guy like Allen Robinson. Then, when the inevitable happens and Gordon gets suspended again, you have quite a hole in your depth chart.

The only way you can sign this guy, is if you see him as nothing more but an extra. I don't think we have the cap room to play around like that.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I don't think WR Josh Gordon leaves Cleveland. I am thinking John Dorsey makes sure he stays. He's the best asset to a new rookie QB, I would imagine.

Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson, neither of which I think can sign with the Packers. I'm thinking they both get similar deals to like Davante Adams signed. I'm looking for the Packers to draft a 2nd round WR and phase out Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson from with-in.

A few names I wouldn't mind seeing. Two that I think might be sort of realistic and one that is simply not gonna happen.
CB Kyle Fuller
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
DE DeMarcus Lawrence
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
Many threads and post have already speculated about GB's potential off season free agent acquisitions. I find it most entertaining and in some post informative.

With GB's current needs in mind, the CB free agent market seems to be looking good. In fact a trade involving Cobb would seem to be a very good trade deal. (Cobb represents 9.4 mil in cap money.) He could easily be replaced with Ty Montgomery in the Slot Receiver position.

IMO, GB's 2018 Training Camp is going to be, above all else, toughest on the Defensive players. I see new players competing at most of the positions. [boxing]

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
What about martavis bryant? Can't see him remaining a steeler. Obvious issues may keep his price low, but hes a good player.
Smokey
6 years ago

What about martavis bryant? Can't see him remaining a steeler. Obvious issues may keep his price low, but hes a good player.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Not a good fit. Nelson, Adams, Montgomery, Allison, and Davis can get the job done. The Offense needs a TE , another RB, and a WR that the draft can supply.

Package Cobb for a CB like Richard Sherman.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.