Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:57:11 AM(UTC)
Several good points in this, do you agree?

Peter_Bukowski said:
There’s that apocryphal Mark Twain quote (no evidence he actually said it) about how if we judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, he’ll spend his whole life believing he’s stupid. The Packers defense was trying to climb a lot of trees last season and has been for years.

Mike Pettine may finally return them to the ocean, and we’ll finally have an idea of who is shark bait and who’s not.

Be prepared for those answers to surprise.

Ted Thompson came under a tsunami of criticism for his decision to let Casey Hayward walk. That amplified this year as the secondary again struggled and Micah Hyde, not even offered a contract as a free agent last offseason, went to the Pro Bowl with the Bills.

Here’s the problem with blaming Thompson: those players being much better for another team than they were in Green Bay isn’t his fault.

That falls squarely in the lap of Dom Capers.

Continue Reading @ Peter_Bukowski
Smokey  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:33:47 AM(UTC)
A fine read, and I agree with much of it. What he failed to promote was the injuries endured last season. Healthy players with experience will be something that the new DC can work with. The former DC in GB often, IMO, was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Hopefully the new DC will put his players in the best place to be successful. I know I'd like to see more sacks, picks, and more sure tackling.

The 2018 Packers Defense could be the talk of the Sports Shows next season, but it will take fresh/clear and aggressive sets that intimidate opposing teams. BigGrin
wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:28:54 PM(UTC)
I won't fault Teddy for moving on from Hayward. In theory, his draft and develop theory, the new younger CBs were ready to take a step forward and take over the role and do so for a lot less money. Hayward also seemed to be a little lost when he wasn't covering the slot receiver. Maybe that's Dom's fault. Maybe it was no one's fault. Even though hindsight says we should have kept Hayward I won't change and condemn Teddy now.
steveishere  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:43:19 PM(UTC)
It is curious how players in the secondary have excelled after leaving. You could even add Tramon Williams to the mix. He was looking pretty washed his last season here and has still been decent on other teams. It'll be interesting to see how some of these guys perform under different coaching.
68md  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:10:45 PM(UTC)
Yes... No and Maybe. I am no Capers fan but we have no idea in regards to the dysfunction behind closed doors with MM/TT/Capers. Examples to consider:
Mike McCarthy was abandoning the run and going to his pass ...pass hurry-up spread O. (Part of that is AR) that put our D on the field more often for more snaps. A Tired defense makes a ton of mistakes
Ted Thompson drafting strategy? Was it based on feedback from Capers or Mike McCarthy ? How did they go about acquiring personal for the defensive side of the ball... Was it Capers saying I want Player A for this slot or TT/MM on draft day saying that guy looks good we can transform him into a pass rusher? ( Note I always saw MM/TT in the draft room. Rarely saw a coordinator in there)

Here's my point, if you get a bad meal it's really easy to blame the cook. But if someone bought the wrong ingredients and he didn't have the correct pans or tools etc is it all his fault?

Make no mistakes I would have fired DC 3 years ago. I am not a fan schematically or physiologically of his defense. But I think to be fair you need to look at the whole picture.

I also think a lot of fans believe that Pettine or anyone else can just install a new look and boom it's fixed. Not fair to Pettine to do that. I think the author makes a ton of assumptions regarding Mike Pettine that are just that assumptions. Anytime you put in a new defense your going to have growing pains. I expect a better overall statistical finish but be forewarned early in the season you're going to see a few SNAFU'S as they get accustomed to new coverages and packages. Two Cents

Cheesey  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:21:08 PM(UTC)
Or having the right ingrediants, and a cook that has no idea on how to mix and cook them.
I don't think the players could be as bad as they looked the last few years. And guys that left here and became pro bowlers shows that our "cook" had no clue on what he had and how to use them.
If it was only one player, you could call it a coincidence.
Hopefully the new "cook" and the new guy buying the ingrediants will get it all straight now.
I hope.
We can't afford to waste one more season with Aaron Rodgers.
Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:29:17 PM(UTC)
What fans think they know is wrong. Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde are good examples.
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump