Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rockmolder  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:33:29 PM(UTC)
2018 Free Agency Preview: Green Bay Packers
ProFootballFocus

Quote:
An injury to star quarterback Aaron Rodgers crippled the Green Bay Packers’ 2017-18 season, as backup Brett Hundley simply couldn’t do enough to lead the team to the postseason with Rodgers on the shelf. However, it’s unfair to rest the entirety of Green Bay’s woes this past season on the quarterback position, as Hundley/Rodgers didn’t quite have an award-winning supporting cast on either side of the ball...

Pretty interesting read overall.

Rashaan Melvin played rather well this year, but it does feel like a bit of a gamble to sign a guy who's managed to put one good season together in a 5 year career. Then again, he might just be a late bloomer.
gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:54:16 PM(UTC)
Incredibly short article. Is that really all the cap room we have? Talk about screwed. I was under the impression we were going to have much more than that. Cut cobb.
yooperfan  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:17:20 AM(UTC)
I too am shocked by how little cap space we have.
It's a shame that we have so much money tied up in such a rickety roster.
Thompson should have been gone a long time ago.
There's no doubt that they are going to have to dump some salary cap sponges if they're going to improve the roster.
Smokey  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:26:38 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
There's no doubt that they are going to have to dump some salary cap sponges if they're going to improve the roster.

Even with this years cap increase, I find that I must agree. The roster needs a complete reevaluation. Trades/releasing players may be an option, but who should be targeted ?
isocleas2  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:34:07 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post

The cap situation isn't that bad none of the contracts have too much dead money so the Packers still have flexibility to do what they want. Also this rickety roster was in the nfc championship 2 years ago and 4-1 before rodgers got injures (despite the oline being decimated).

There are improvements I want as well but some of you ted haters are acting like you havnt seen the playoffs in a decade. Half the teams would kill to swap places with us next year. Learn to appreciate what ya got imo
Smokey  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:15:14 AM(UTC)
isocleas2 said: Go to Quoted Post
The cap situation isn't that bad none of the contracts have too much dead money so the Packers still have flexibility to do what they want. Also this rickety roster was in the nfc championship 2 years ago and 4-1 before rodgers got injures (despite the oline being decimated).

There are improvements I want as well but some of you ted haters are acting like you havnt seen the playoffs in a decade. Half the teams would kill to swap places with us next year. Learn to appreciate what ya got imo

It's not about not being in the recent playoffs, rather that Rodgers injury shown a spotlight on the rest of the 2017 Packers. It revealed a weak Defense that needs better players rushing and covering opposing teams Air Attacks.

TE and WR personal will also need a reevaluation as well.

A healthy 2018 Packers should make the Playoffs, the challenge is moving beyond the playoffs to a SB.
Rockmolder  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:41:26 AM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
Incredibly short article. Is that really all the cap room we have? Talk about screwed. I was under the impression we were going to have much more than that. Cut cobb.

There's a couple of things of note, though.

They're taking the €4.2 million of dead cap from Bennett into account. As they should. But I'm hoping we'll get an update on getting that bonus for the coming two years back. It's been awfully silent, though.

Like you said, we can cut some guys to create some space. It's going to be interesting to see what Gutekunst does. I feel like it would've been a no-brainer to cut some of these guys if you got a GM coming in from the outside who has no real ties to anyone inside the organization, but you have to wonder if familiarity will make a difference here.

I mean, having nearly $37 million or more than 22% of your cap invested in Nelson, Cobb and Matthews is absurd when you look at it now. They've all been worth is at some point (maybe not Cobb), but you can't possibly build a competitive roster when shelling out that kind of money to guys who've obviously lost a step.

Lastly, I don't think they've accounted for the draft picks we'll need to sign. I know it'll bump some players off the roster, as well, but you have to imagine we'll be paying around $6-7 million if we don't trade up or down a lot.

If you don't cut anyone, I can't imagine we'll do anything in free agency, but hand out near-minimum contracts.

With all the talk about these new QB contracts and Rodgers' current contract being on the low side, I imagine the situation won't improve all that much anytime soon.
isocleas2  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 7:42:52 AM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
It's not about not being in the recent playoffs, rather that Rodgers injury shown a spotlight on the rest of the 2017 Packers. It revealed a weak Defense that needs better players rushing and covering opposing teams Air Attacks.

TE and WR personal will also need a reevaluation as well.

A healthy 2018 Packers should make the Playoffs, the challenge is moving beyond the playoffs to a SB.

Vegas still has the packers with the 2nd best odds to represent the NFC in the superbowl, I trust their opinion over virtually everyone else.

Look at who the patriots/eagles are set to lose this offseason, every team has holes they need to fill the Packers are no different. But the Packers are much closer to winning another superbowl than they are to needing a rebuild. I feel like sometimes in the wake of a down year people start losing perspective (hell some lost it before this year).

If they cut/rework some contracts they can fill some holes and draft early and often to fill the others. The future still looks bright in Green Bay BigGrin
Smokey  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:47:06 AM(UTC)
Looking at the 2017 Packers, it is obvious that without Aaron Rodgers they were not a playoff quality team. Furthermore, it showed that the teams weak links were being compensated for by one (brilliant) player. As a result Management and Coaching changes have been undertaken to correct those weak links (mainly on the Defense).

Free Agency, the draft, and trades are the main tools that GM's use to build teams. GB needed to change it's leadership if it expected to not repeat it's past. What the new regime will do remains to be seen and I will be watching.

Cool
wpr  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 12:04:29 PM(UTC)
isocleas2 said: Go to Quoted Post
Vegas still has the packers with the 2nd best odds to represent the NFC in the superbowl, I trust their opinion over virtually everyone else.

Look at who the patriots/eagles are set to lose this offseason, every team has holes they need to fill the Packers are no different. But the Packers are much closer to winning another superbowl than they are to needing a rebuild. I feel like sometimes in the wake of a down year people start losing perspective (hell some lost it before this year).

If they cut/rework some contracts they can fill some holes and draft early and often to fill the others. The future still looks bright in Green Bay BigGrin

I don't dispute most of what you are saying but using Vegas as a source is as bad as saying a player is very good because he made the Pro Bowl. Vegas doesn't care a bit about the talent on a team. All they want is half the suckers betting for and half the suckers betting against a team so none of the money comes out of their pocket. It's a popularity vote the same as the Pro Bowl is. Granted a 0-16 team is going to have longer odds of winning the SB just like a guy who blows out his ACL ain't going to the PB.
Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:27:33 PM(UTC)
With Rodgers they have a shot at the playoffs. Without him, they are a below average team.
They NEED a decent defense, and a capable backup QB.
If they actually fill those needs, they have a shot at the super bowl.
Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 8:32:37 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
With Rodgers they have a shot at the playoffs. Without him, they are a below average team.
They NEED a decent defense, and a capable backup QB.
If they actually fill those needs, they have a shot at the super bowl.

The defense really needs either a major superstar or a lot more assignment sure players on the roster. Preferably both. The offense can win games, even with a backup (not named Brett Hundley). I just don't think Brett has the decisiveness to be an effective winning QB in this league.

wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't dispute most of what you are saying but using Vegas as a source is as bad as saying a player is very good because he made the Pro Bowl. Vegas doesn't care a bit about the talent on a team. All they want is half the suckers betting for and half the suckers betting against a team so none of the money comes out of their pocket. It's a popularity vote the same as the Pro Bowl is. Granted a 0-16 team is going to have longer odds of winning the SB just like a guy who blows out his ACL ain't going to the PB.

Vegas is usually pretty accurate. They don't want to lose money so if they are thinking the Packers are legitimate Super Bowl contenders, they most likely are. Vegas isn't in the game to lose money. The Pro Bowl analogy is poor because Pro Bowl is voted based on popularity, rarely is it skill. Fans get to vote favorites, over and over and over again. Vegas doesn't go "hey i grew up watching Lombardi or play at same college, so I'm going to say Packers are x to y odds for Super Bowl!" ... completely absolutely different measurements.

Using Vegas a sole source, well, we all know never to use only one source for anything, ahem, Ron Borges.
Smokey  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 9:54:36 AM(UTC)
This thread is titled to be about Free Agents, Packer's and non-Packer's.

I don't know who the Free Agents are, does anyone ?

I'd like to read facts, player list, suggested trades. Drop X and add Y who ?

Trade Matthews for a Pro Bowl CB.
Rockmolder  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 11:49:02 AM(UTC)
This thread is titled to be about Free Agents, Packer's and non-Packer's.

I don't know who the Free Agents are, does anyone ?

Here are a couple of good lists, depending on what you're looking for. There are some guys on there who are very likely to be retained by their own teams, though.

Quote:
I'd like to read facts, player list, suggested trades. Drop X and add Y who ?

Trade Matthews for a Pro Bowl CB.

I can't imagine someone giving up a Pro Bowl CB for a declining OLB who's in his last year of a contract that pays him way too much for his current play.

Then again, I was also pretty certain that a game manager QB wasn't worth a promising and young nickel corner and a 3rd round pick, so what do I really know.
gbguy20  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 4:28:35 PM(UTC)
Are we sure that cap space total is correct? I could have sworn that is what we started the 2017 season with. Now that that is over much space should have opened up from expiring contracts. Or did everyone's raises for 2018 completely counteract all the space freed up from the expiring?
wpr  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 8:34:02 PM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
Are we sure that cap space total is correct? I could have sworn that is what we started the 2017 season with. Now that that is over much space should have opened up from expiring contracts. Or did everyone's raises for 2018 completely counteract all the space freed up from the expiring?

I can't say whether the number is correct or not. I thought they had a lot of room.
Spotrac has it at $19,257,978 for the top 51. $12,650,109 after the projected draft pool is allocated.
Smokey  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:09:07 AM(UTC)
I'm glad that GB has responsible employees that are aware of the team's finances. It is comforting that professionals are on the payroll that know about salaries, bonuses, and the Cap. The Packers don't have to depend on what is posted in forums, blogs, or chat rooms.

Some players from the 2017 GB roster may not be invited back, could be traded, or they will be out played for another spot on the GB roster. I'm excited and hopeful for the 2018 Packers and I will be cautiously optimistic regarding their future.

Cheers!
Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:39:08 AM(UTC)
I'm glad that GB has responsible employees that are aware of the team's finances. It is comforting that professionals are on the payroll that know about salaries, bonuses, and the Cap. The Packers don't have to depend on what is posted in forums, blogs, or chat rooms.

Wait, what? What the heck is the point of forums, blogs and chat rooms if the Green Bay Packers are not going to follow our armchair uneducated over-arrogant analysis????!!! My world doesn't make sense anymore!!

wpr  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:34:30 PM(UTC)

Some players from the 2017 GB roster may not be invited back, could be traded, or they will be out played for another spot on the GB roster. I'm excited and hopeful for the 2018 Packers and I will be cautiously optimistic regarding their future.

Cheers!

If it's true that GB only has $19 mil or so and they are 23rd out of 32 teams then I don't believe you can say that they have acted responsibly. Especially when that number drops to around $12 mil after the new rookies are signed. That doesn't leave much room for the veterans that they need to re-sign. I am not an expert but they are a very short step from being in Cap Hell.

It appears they will have to cut and or restructure the contracts of some pretty big names in order to move forward.
warhawk  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:40:04 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
If it's true that GB only has $19 mil or so and they are 23rd out of 32 teams then I don't believe you can say that they have acted responsibly. Especially when that number drops to around $12 mil after the new rookies are signed. That doesn't leave much room for the veterans that they need to re-sign. I am not an expert but they are a very short step from being in Cap Hell.

It appears they will have to cut and or restructure the contracts of some pretty big names in order to move forward.

All true, however, your last statement says it all. The final numbers have not been determined until after final decisions on players . The very obvious candidates for cuts/renegotiation are Clay, Cobb, and Jordy.

If all three were to be cut it would add back about $25 mil to the cap. That probably won't happen.
I believe Jordy and Clay understand at this stage of their careers adjustments are due and justified as well.
I can certainly see where Cobb might well be headed out. He would be the easiest to replace with Montgomery and others.
The other player that is interesting is Ha Ha. There is 0 cap hit on his $6 mil salary. I mention this because he is really the only other player where significant cap numbers can be adjusted. Hey, they cut an All Pro guard out of the blue last year so who's to know?

What I'm saying is at least the Packers have options and flexibility depending on how all this shakes out so I'm not in judgement regarding the cap until it it does. I love me some Jordy and Clay. True Packer warriors but Father Time holds no prisoners.

Rss Feed