wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

All true, however, your last statement says it all. The final numbers have not been determined until after final decisions on players . The very obvious candidates for cuts/renegotiation are Clay, Cobb, and Jordy.

If all three were to be cut it would add back about $25 mil to the cap. That probably won't happen.
I believe Jordy and Clay understand at this stage of their careers adjustments are due and justified as well.
I can certainly see where Cobb might well be headed out. He would be the easiest to replace with Montgomery and others.
The other player that is interesting is Ha Ha. There is 0 cap hit on his $6 mil salary. I mention this because he is really the only other player where significant cap numbers can be adjusted. Hey, they cut an All Pro guard out of the blue last year so who's to know?

What I'm saying is at least the Packers have options and flexibility depending on how all this shakes out so I'm not in judgement regarding the cap until it it does. I love me some Jordy and Clay. True Packer warriors but Father Time holds no prisoners.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I have seen many people express an interest in giving HHCD his walking orders. I wonder how they expect to take his place? Josh Jones or Brice? I would like to see another year of seasoning before one of them takes over the role.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
GB's Defense, IMO, is and should be the Packer's #1 off-season priority. That said, securing a franchise Edge Rusher should be the #1 goal.

Potential Free Agent Edge Rushers do not impress me at all. I've yet to see much on potential CBs yet.
A move to get Richard Sherman (CB) from Seattle could be most exciting. GB's Safeties are OK, and will be better in 2018.

GB will need a TE, but I believe that they can get one in the latter draft rounds. Looking at the teams that pick before GB and their needs, I believe that LSU's DE Arden Key at 6ft.6in. and 265 lbs. is my favorite #1 pick for GB. I can only imagine what GB's weight room will do for him (example: David Bakhtiari).

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

If it's true that GB only has $19 mil or so and they are 23rd out of 32 teams then I don't believe you can say that they have acted responsibly. Especially when that number drops to around $12 mil after the new rookies are signed. That doesn't leave much room for the veterans that they need to re-sign. I am not an expert but they are a very short step from being in Cap Hell.

It appears they will have to cut and or restructure the contracts of some pretty big names in order to move forward.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

NO! Taking one number out of context and drawing hysterical conclusions from it is irresponsible; its actually very Fox News-like. Cap availability numbers must be put in context or they're MEANINGLESS.

GB has already signed their top 2 FAs [Extending Adams/Linsley], who else has done that?

And cap hell: OH MY GOD, I cant take this, I’m gonna have to be a Browns fan! You surely looked into 2019 and saw that we have no space in ‘19…oh wait, no, I guess you didn’t. Actually, GB had 80M in cap space for ’19 before Adams/Linsley extensions, now we got 62M. That’s much closer to Cap heaven than hell! The 80M was #10 and above GB only Tenn, SF and Cincy have serviceable QBs signed.

9 straight PO appearances [but for a QB playing cowboy and getting hurt and choking during the '17 run]. All his being done while managing the contracts of the highest and 8th highest [CM3] paid contracts in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God dammit, this is pure cap genius! Here we are nearing the end of the 2 contracts and NO ONE must be cut for non football reasons. This has NEVER been done before; it's magical, its impossible and some bitch bitch bitch.

GB is head and shoulders cap/roster wise ahead of any team paying big $$$ to a QB. And Brady even gave NE a huge discount. Of course, for Brady it’s all about winning not becoming the highest paid or stat-whoring or gratifying himself while watching his own highlights with a hot angry fast-driving accident prone sociopath lying naked with him on the couch.

See, the angriest loudest-mouthed Packer fan is angry and loud because they are simply ignorant. They indulge in a refusal to reason beyond a tweet, thus losing the ability to think beyond the tip of their tiny little schlorks. EG, they tweet-bitch about Ted using youngsters for depth, but remain steadfastly OBLIVIOUS to the consequences of the indulgence of their ignorance. Now we have an example: The signing in ’17 of 5 Vet fringe starter/solid BU types [House 2.8M, Brooks 3.5M, Dial .775M, Evans 2.425M, RJF 2.0M] ate up 9M in cap space in 2017 that could have been rolled over in ’18 if RFAs and draft picks were relied upon. Hence, GB has 9M less to spend in ’18. Applauding the singing of low cost fringe vet players and then bitching about a lack of cap space the next year is the type of logic and reason humans should abandon as they approach puberty.

Fans should control the rampant emotion until ALL the numbers are understood and here they are: The top 53 contracts per Spotrac [we’re not gonna play with 51 in season, so ignore that "51"#] leaves us with $18.3M in cap space. WPR opines that Spotrac’s listing of 7 draft picks knocks 6.6M off the 18.3; NO, again! First, we don’t have 7 picks, we have 11, so the pool will be over $9M, not 6.6M. But you gotta subtract about .5M for each pick that makes the 53. Assuming GB gets one 3rd; two 4th; and one 6th round comp picks and if all the rookies make the 53 it’ll reduce the available cap by about 4M.

Then banking 7M for 2018 injury singings, extensions, etc; we have about 7.3M to spend on FAs in 2018 as the roster stands today.

Now let’s look at the 4 teams in the middle of this list; [who would you rather be?]:

NO: has $15M more to spend; but don’t have a QB or 2 other starters signed
Buff: has $13M more to spend; but are paying Taylor at QB1 with 5 other starters unsigned
Den: has $10M more to spend; but are paying only Lynch at QB with 3 other starters unsigned
NYG: has $8M more to spend; but are paying Eli at QB1 with 8 other starters unsigned.

And did you see what QBs Smith and Garropolo signed for?????

Before opinionatedly ranting about 1265 being irresponsible, please take the responsibility to understand what the hell you're talking about.

If Gutey would be irresponsible if he screws this up and he will if his behavior mirrors the thinking of the loud-mouth opinionated Packer fan.
gbguy20
6 years ago
Now that is the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

NO! Taking one number out of context and drawing hysterical conclusions from it is irresponsible; its actually very Fox News-like. Cap availability numbers must be put in context or they're MEANINGLESS.

GB has already signed their top 2 FAs [Extending Adams/Linsley], who else has done that?

And cap hell: OH MY GOD, I cant take this, I’m gonna have to be a Browns fan! You surely looked into 2019 and saw that we have no space in ‘19…oh wait, no, I guess you didn’t. Actually, GB had 80M in cap space for ’19 before Adams/Linsley extensions, now we got 62M. That’s much closer to Cap heaven than hell! The 80M was #10 and above GB only Tenn, SF and Cincy have serviceable QBs signed.

9 straight PO appearances [but for a QB playing cowboy and getting hurt and choking during the '17 run]. All his being done while managing the contracts of the highest and 8th highest [CM3] paid contracts in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God dammit, this is pure cap genius! Here we are nearing the end of the 2 contracts and NO ONE must be cut for non football reasons. This has NEVER been done before; it's magical, its impossible and some bitch bitch bitch.

GB is head and shoulders cap/roster wise ahead of any team paying big $$$ to a QB. And Brady even gave NE a huge discount. Of course, for Brady it’s all about winning not becoming the highest paid or stat-whoring or gratifying himself while watching his own highlights with a hot angry fast-driving accident prone sociopath lying naked with him on the couch.

See, the angriest loudest-mouthed Packer fan is angry and loud because they are simply ignorant. They indulge in a refusal to reason beyond a tweet, thus losing the ability to think beyond the tip of their tiny little schlorks. EG, they tweet-bitch about Ted using youngsters for depth, but remain steadfastly OBLIVIOUS to the consequences of the indulgence of their ignorance. Now we have an example: The signing in ’17 of 5 Vet fringe starter/solid BU types [House 2.8M, Brooks 3.5M, Dial .775M, Evans 2.425M, RJF 2.0M] ate up 9M in cap space in 2017 that could have been rolled over in ’18 if RFAs and draft picks were relied upon. Hence, GB has 9M less to spend in ’18. Applauding the singing of low cost fringe vet players and then bitching about a lack of cap space the next year is the type of logic and reason humans should abandon as they approach puberty.

Fans should control the rampant emotion until ALL the numbers are understood and here they are: The top 53 contracts per Spotrac [we’re not gonna play with 51 in season, so ignore that "51"#] leaves us with $18.3M in cap space. WPR opines that Spotrac’s listing of 7 draft picks knocks 6.6M off the 18.3; NO, again! First, we don’t have 7 picks, we have 11, so the pool will be over $9M, not 6.6M. But you gotta subtract about .5M for each pick that makes the 53. Assuming GB gets one 3rd; two 4th; and one 6th round comp picks and if all the rookies make the 53 it’ll reduce the available cap by about 4M.

Then banking 7M for 2018 injury singings, extensions, etc; we have about 7.3M to spend on FAs in 2018 as the roster stands today.

Now let’s look at the 4 teams in the middle of this list; [who would you rather be?]:

NO: has $15M more to spend; but don’t have a QB or 2 other starters signed
Buff: has $13M more to spend; but are paying Taylor at QB1 with 5 other starters unsigned
Den: has $10M more to spend; but are paying only Lynch at QB with 3 other starters unsigned
NYG: has $8M more to spend; but are paying Eli at QB1 with 8 other starters unsigned.

And did you see what QBs Smith and Garropolo signed for?????

Before opinionatedly ranting about 1265 being irresponsible, please take the responsibility to understand what the hell you're talking about.

If Gutey would be irresponsible if he screws this up and he will if his behavior mirrors the thinking of the loud-mouth opinionated Packer fan.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Great. That is the best thing you have ever written. 1 ++++++ Good bye.

I couldn't even read most of this.
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
Some interesting articles related to free agency that i enjoyed:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/three-potential-cuts-from-around-the-league-who-might-interest-the-packers-406?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CheeseheadTv+%28Cheesehead+TV%29 

The Packers have always been interested in signing released players who won't count against the comp pick selections, i'm not sure if these would apply but getting Aqib Talib or Robert Quinn would certainly help our CB + edge rusher issues.

There were 2 more articles talking about low cost free agent options, had a part 1 and part 2 but i can't seem to find it. Will edit later with links.

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
6 years ago
Does anybody have thoughts/observations on AJ McCarron (fmr ALA) as a possible #2? there are quite a few expensive options out there at QB who will likely go to teams with an immediate need. He might be an excellent choice for the Packers....what do you think?
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago

Does anybody have thoughts/observations on AJ McCarron (fmr ALA) as a possible #2? there are quite a few expensive options out there at QB who will likely go to teams with an immediate need. He might be an excellent choice for the Packers....what do you think?

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I like AJ and think he would be a great pick-up as a back-up. I would wonder whether Green Bay would be a place that interests him though as his shot at the starting job is nil. I could see him sign in a place like Dallas, KC or Buffalo where he may find himself starting due to the play of their starter.
gbguy20
6 years ago
Aj will make big money and will be signed as someone's starter. He won't go somewhere as a backup
Rockmolder
6 years ago

Aj will make big money and will be signed as someone's starter. He won't go somewhere as a backup

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I don't know if he'll instantly go somewhere and be the starter, but there's no way he'll pick a team like Green Bay, New Orleans or Philly, where he'll never get a shot to start, unless someone gets injured.

I can see him sign with a team like the Giants or New England. You know you'll get your shot in a year or two, you have some talent around you and you can get used to the system.

As for the Packers... AJ isn't a realistic signing, but I also don't think we really need a guy like that. I don't know why we always have to have two developmental guys behind our starter. Brett Hundley was/is incredibly raw, Scott Tolzien was nowhere close to being ready to start a game. Even rolling with Flynn was a huge risk, that didn't gain us anything in terms of play over any other journeyman QB out there.

I'd much prefer signing a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore or Sam Bradford. Someone who can manage a game. They most likely won't win you any extra games, but they also won't lose you any. That's a lot better than the luck we've been having with most guys we drafted. Just stash your delevopmental QB as 3rd on your roster spot or on the practice squad.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.