Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago
I found the following chart in an article on NFL.com today, and I thought it was interesting. The Packers' receivers were solidly middle of the road last year in getting separation from defenders at the point of release (2.92 yards). I'm not sure what the significance of such an arcane statistic might be, but I thought it might provoke a lively discussion. I would be especially intrigued to see where Green Bay fared back during their explosive 2011 campaign. What can Green Bay do this year to improve these numbers and restore their downfield attack?

I also can't help but suspect that Hundley's inability to throw more than 10 yards downfield hampered the receivers' ability to spread the field. Knowing they didn't have to cover deep, defenders were able to hunker down on the receivers' routes and clog the passing lanes.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
I’m sure Hundley’s inabilitiy to make the throws didn’t help.
Rodgers can thread the needle, where Hundley can’t.
That’s where the difference between a great QB and a so so QB shows the most.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I think Davante Adams is the only WR I noticed that was getting decent separation from his coverage. Dude has a wicked off the line move. Cobb is really good if not pressed at the line at getting separation.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
6 years ago
Did the article say anything about the ridiculous number the Chiefs put up there? Is that just Tyreek Hill and Albert Hill running away from everyone, or did it say something about scheming?

NFL.com has an entire page dedicated to these kinds of stats. The one that surprised me most is that Randall Cobb is actually 3rd in the entire league in this statistic.  

The stats that did not surprise me at all are Hundley's. He's around the top 10 worst in just about every category, even leading in average completed air yards... All while having the 3rd most time to throw in the entire league. But that's something for a different topic.
Cheesey
6 years ago
Having a QB that can throw a guy open makes a huge difference. After Rodgers, we don't have that.
Guys get open for a second, and our backup throws the ball too late.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago

I also can't help but suspect that Hundley's inability to throw more than 10 yards downfield hampered the receivers' ability to spread the field. Knowing they didn't have to cover deep, defenders were able to hunker down on the receivers' routes and clog the passing lanes.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Yes, I would agree with your assessment. Furthermore, Rodgers' return may not be a total cure for this very real problem. Allow me to break this down.

Nelson is a fine WR with very good hands, but even though he is a master at running routes, he has slowed down over the last few seasons. As mush as I like him, reality can not be evaded.

Cobb has stepped up his game, even with Hundley at QB. IMO, at this point he is GB's #1 WR. Both he and Nelson will need to get their timing back with Rodgers, but that will (I believe) happen.

Adams needs to be traded and replaced with TY Montgomery in the Slot Receiver position. He would be a true threat in the middle of the field and for screen plays too. He would be great at WR as A.Jones and J.Williams can serve well together as RBs.

The TE position is, IMO, going to be filled by someone that will surprise some and others will say,"of course". I don't see him being a rookie from the draft. I have my secret choice and choose not to reveal it at this time, but...

Once everyone gets back to training camp, timing will improve with each practice.

Allison and Davis should compete for the 4th WR slot. My money is on Allison. [thumbup]

GB could and I believe will have one of the NFL's most dangerous offenses in 2018. I did not yet mention GB's Offensive Line as I don't see any reason to jinx a top group of men.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
I like that you mention 2011. Joe Phil in was with us then and our passing game was unstoppable. Maybe it was our great receivers at the time, or maybe it was our great scheme. I can't wait to see slants and YAC again!
gbguy20
6 years ago
Phil in stupid phone..... PHILBIN. Fucking phone won't let me type that apparently
Cheesey
6 years ago
Smokey....trade Adams??? He’s the best WR we have! Cobb is ok, but no where as good as Adams has been.
I don’t know if you really mean what you type, or are just trying to stir things up.
If you watched the Packers last season, you would have seen that Adams did the most for the team.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago

Smokey....trade Adams??? He’s the best WR we have! Cobb is ok, but no where as good as Adams has been.
I don’t know if you really mean what you type, or are just trying to stir things up.
If you watched the Packers last season, you would have seen that Adams did the most for the team.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Thank you Cheesey, I had Adams and Cobb reversed. I'm not sure, but I may have been distracted when I made the error.

Keep Adams, trade Cobb.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (6h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (18h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (18h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (23h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.