wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Though picking up Damarious Randall’s fifth-year option comes with risks, the upside outweighs the downside for the Packers. Though the NFL Scouting Combine  begins later this week and free agency looms just around the corner, the Green Bay Packers  have to attend to other roster concerns. In one of his first major acts as general manager of the Green Bay Packers, Brian Gutekunst must decide whether to pick up or decline the fifth-year option in cornerback Damarious Randall’s rookie contract.

As ESPN’s Rob Demovsky wrote on Monday , the Packers could decline Randall’s fifth-year option and still retain him long-term next offseason in a fashion similar to Nick Perry. On the surface, that plan makes some sense. Randall’s career has taken several sharp turns and revealed both a high ceiling and some maddening lows, much like Perry through his first three seasons. Declining Perry’s option prior to the 2016 season perhaps motivated the former first-round pick to turn in his best year, something that could likewise work for Randall.

However, this approach ignores that players at premium positions hold their greatest value on their rookie deals, and by declining a fifth, affordable year of Randall’s contract, the Packers risk letting that value drift off into the ether. For all his faults, Randall proved to be the defense’s most reliable cornerback during 2017 after a slow start. With Kevin King returning with a repaired shoulder and presumably another starting corner joining the secondary, Randall could reach new heights in a better-defined role.

Picking up Randall’s option doesn’t come without risks. Should he suffer an injury serious enough to affect his offseason, the Packers could find themselves on the hook for his 2019 salary regardless of whether they wish to retain his services. That dynamic might have contributed to the sizable three-year contract Blake Bortles , who underwent surgery on his wrist, received last week.

Still, a capable cornerback at the cost of Randall’s fifth-year option (estimated to fall between $8 and 9 million) looks far more affordable than what he could receive as an unrestricted free agent or under the franchise tag  should he deliver a strong 2018 campaign. The option would also give the Packers a better bargaining position should they attempt to sign him to a multiyear extension.

Continue Reading @ Jason B. Hirschhorn 

Jason B. Hirschhorn wrote:

Decline the 5th year and have him prove it in his 4th.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Gotta take the 5th year. He was the best DB we had the last half of the season. Can't afford to let him go.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
OK, Damarious Randall has some support in this forum. Can a rational case be made to retain him over another FA or Draft Rookie. Experience is not argument enough, even last seasons worst starting NFL CB can say they have experience.

Kevin King, fully healed, will enter his second season and IMO will be ready to show if he was worth the wait. I believe that he will not be a Pro-Bowler yet, but should be able to play at an above average level as a starter.

I hope that Training Camp will reveal a CB that can replace Randall as he has had time to rase his level of play such that none would question his play, but ...

Give him a 1 year deal that has written into it that he must 1st make the 2018 roster and 2nd his pay will be determined on weather or not he is a starter, per every game. Don't just give him the position.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

OK, Damarious Randall has some support in this forum. Can a rational case be made to retain him over another FA or Draft Rookie. Experience is not argument enough, even last seasons worst starting NFL CB can say they have experience.

Kevin King, fully healed, will enter his second season and IMO will be ready to show if he was worth the wait. I believe that he will not be a Pro-Bowler yet, but should be able to play at an above average level as a starter.

I hope that Training Camp will reveal a CB that can replace Randall as he has had time to rase his level of play such that none would question his play, but ...

Give him a 1 year deal that has written into it that he must 1st make the 2018 roster and 2nd his pay will be determined on weather or not he is a starter, per every game. Don't just give him the position.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

This is a good point. Who do we have?

Damarious Randall
Kevin King
Quinten Rollins
Josh Hawkins
Lenzy Pipkins

I am going to have to keep rolling with do the 5th year option. I'm not really enamored with our CB's at all. Kevin King is probably going to be best of the group listed above, but I think D. Randall is the most talented when that space between his ears is proper.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
I'm not sure just how many CBs attended GB's Training Camp last season, I'd guess maybe 10. That should be the case again I would think. Walk ons, free agents, and last seasons CBs should be in Training camp again this year.

I would like to see GB's new GM trade WR Cobb + a late round draft pick/s for an above average/or better CB. [biggrin]

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I'm still wondering if King will be fully healed... after all he said he got his injury as a freshmen in college, and so it hasn't fully healed in 4 years... will it ever fully heal?

Do you think you could keep Randall around for less than $8.5 million? It might be worth it to just give him the fifth year, as the Packers are thin at CB even with him... without him, then would need 2 more CBs... compared to maybe just one more with him (assuming he's playing well).
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
The Randall we saw the 2nd half of 2017 is worth 8.5 mil a year, plus he's young enough to still get better. Combined with the Packers lack of depth at the position I think the option is a smart pickup. Look at Perry or Cobb you let a player at a premium position prove it and you may end up having to break the bank as consequence.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (5h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (16h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (16h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (22h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.