Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages<12

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smokey  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 1:51:08 PM(UTC)
Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: No Politics in Packers Talk, thank you.
Barfarn  
#22 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 8:55:28 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
If you have a great QB , like we do now, but you never give him a decent enough defense to back him up, you can’t expect him to carry the team all alone.
If Tom Brady didn’t have a good D, he wouldn’t have 5 super bowl rings.
If the Packers finally decide to give Rodgers a decent defense, maybe we will have a few more championships to celebrate.

You just don't understand Brady's role v Rodgers' role in creating a better defense for their team. RODGERS IS THE PROBLEM.

Here’s NE’s model:
We have a great TEAM FIRST Quarterback; so we don’t have to surround him with 10 all pros.

Disbursement of $$$$ capital:
NE believes a Great QB doesn’t need $10-15M receivers, so they sign a couple at $4-5M. A great QB don’t need a high priced OL because he will just get rid of the ball and NOT run around like a self-aggrandizing highlight seeking messiah complexed asshole that exponentially increases the odds he’ll get hurt even if the OL consists of 5 all-pros. When they get a chance they sign the best TE for a team-friendly 6yrs, 54M, w/ 12M guaranteed; OT Solder signed for 10M per, but for only 2 years. RBs…a dime a dozen, never EVER spend any money on one. NE saves a ton of precious cap $$$ because their TEAM-first QB doesn’t need to be highest paid and because they don’t pay ANYONE else on offense to long term $$$.

Disbursement of Draft capital:
In last 10 years, out of 22 picks, GB used 2 first rounders and 6 seconds on offense; New England, out of 25 picks, used 2 first and 5 seconds on offense [Includes 2 trades for 1st for Cooks and 2nd for Ealy]. And NE was stripped of 2 first rounders over this time

Where did all of NE’s Cap $$$ and draft resource savings on offense go? If you answered DEFENSE, you get a gold star. GB doesn't have as much draft capital or $$$ available for the D, because Rodgers is greedier than Brady and because of their model.

GB’s model: we have a Great QB, we will pay a bunch of good offensive players to long term contracts [Adams, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga, Lang, Baktierri, Nelson, Cobb, Bennett, Finley, Jennings, etc] and use extra draft capital to make the offense unstoppable.

GB’s model is better, because the rules give the offense the advantage.

The ONLY reason NE has many more SBs than GB over these 10 years is because of the respective play of Brady and Rodgers. Rodgers with all his extra weapons and extra protection has often been unstoppable per the model; but, his INCONSISTENT play, especially in playoffs and extra especially in playoffs at crunch time, has destroyed the effectiveness of GB's model.

Rodgers' is greedier than Brady, which takes one decent player away for the D. And Rodgers' need to be surrounded by several good offensive players takes another 3-4-5 more players from the D. When Rodgers cant make the offense unstoppable; ya dont blame the D, ya blame the problem.

And the problem is RODGERS!
Cheesey  
#23 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:54:26 PM(UTC)
Sorry, but that last post could be used to fertilize a farmers field.
Did you watch the last super bowl? Was Brady so “great?”
Rodgers is a excellent QB. You can’t say it’s his fault we haven’t won another SB. The guy can’t cover WRs and tackle the other team’s RB AND QB our team.
Our defense has been AWFUL.
Would we have had a 15-1 season with a so-so QB? The defense wasted that (and several other) seasons.
If we had a GM back then that wasn’t afraid to pick up a few veteran defenders in feee agency, we could have had a couple more Super Bowls.
blueleopard  
#24 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 1:11:20 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
So much for modeling his career after Tom Brady...

Brady's wife makes more money than he does. So unless Rodgers marries Danica Patrick, it's tough to expect him to take less when he deserves so much more.
Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 1:37:25 PM(UTC)
Sorry, but that last post could be used to fertilize a farmers field.
Did you watch the last super bowl? Was Brady so “great?”

Tom Brady went over 500 yards passing with 3 touchdowns and no interceptions. So, yes, he was pretty damn great. Patriots put up 33 points. Their defense gave up 41. Patriots lost because of defense. Same achilles heel as the Packers.
sschind  
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 1:45:49 PM(UTC)
blueleopard said: Go to Quoted Post
Brady's wife makes more money than he does. So unless Rodgers marries Danica Patrick, it's tough to expect him to take less when he deserves so much more.

According to Forbes Danica Patrick made 12 million dollars in 2017 and she is apparently parking her race cars for good after the Indy 500 in May. Aaron better sign that big deal soon because he may have to support her.

For comparison Gisele made 17.5 million in 2017 and for the first time in 15 years she was not the highest paid model.

Even with the 5.5 million dollar deficit I think Aaron comes out on top in the WAG department and its not even close.
yooperfan  
#27 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:45:29 PM(UTC)
This whole thing with money and athletes is pissing me off to no end.
I don't consider Danica Car wreck or any other race car driver an athlete so what she makes means nothing to me.
I would rather trade Rodgers if he demands more than he's making now.
Like Cheesey says, "how much do these guys need".
I'm at the point of just giving up on professional sports including the Green Bay Packers, this whole money thing has gotten way out of hand!
Smokey  
#28 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:55:59 PM(UTC)
The Kirk Cousins Auction is holding up more than just Rodgers and the Packers. That deal, when announced, will set the new pay scale bar. The trick is to secure Cousins services for as little money as it takes to outbid other interested teams.

If your Kirk Cousins, how do you not keep a constant smile on your face. BigGrin
sschind  
#29 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 3:25:24 PM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
This whole thing with money and athletes is pissing me off to no end.
I don't consider Danica Car wreck or any other race car driver an athlete so what she makes means nothing to me.
I would rather trade Rodgers if he demands more than he's making now.
Like Cheesey says, "how much do these guys need".
I'm at the point of just giving up on professional sports including the Green Bay Packers, this whole money thing has gotten way out of hand!

The information about Patrick was posted in response to a comment saying Tom Brady's wife makes more than he does. It wasn't meant as a measuring stick for Aaron Rodgers contract.

As far as giving up on professional sports that's your decision but if the money these athletes make bothers you that much you probably should. It might be better for your health in the long run.

Smokey  
#30 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:43:32 PM(UTC)
Perhaps the we should ask the question, What % of an NFL Teams total funds that the League says they may spend on player salaries should go to pay a QB ?

First, we must know the total amount the the league allows a team to spend on player salaries or What is the 2018 Cap ?

Second, What would be a fair cap for a QB or a WR or a CB ?

Example: Say that all teams have the same salary cap and it is $200 million.
What % of that amount should the league set as the maximum amount that any team can pay a QB ? 15% or more or less ? What is fair ?

A RB ? A TE ? A CB ?

If max. percentage amounts were set for all of a teams positions, a player would then look harder at a teams location, current players and coaches, and a teams facilities before he chose which team to play for. In addition, the NFLPA would sit in on league meetings that revealed how much all NFL teams make from TV, Product Marketing, etc. in order to fairly raise the cap level each year.

There was a time when NY or LA or Miami might command a greater opportunity for a player to earn money outside of football, but that has changed (just ask Aaron Rodgers).

A fairer system not only benefits the players, but also the owners and the league as well.
Cheesey  
#31 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 10:43:30 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Tom Brady went over 500 yards passing with 3 touchdowns and no interceptions. So, yes, he was pretty damn great. Patriots put up 33 points. Their defense gave up 41. Patriots lost because of defense. Same achilles heel as the Packers.

Soooo....you DID help me make my point that without a good defense, even a great showing by a QB (even Brady) you won’t win a super bowl.

The “stupid” money that these guys make, for playing a game....it’s mind boggling.
This is why average people can’t go see a game live. If you have a family of 4, just to go to one game, it will cost you at least $800 to $1000 , or even more. What average family can afford that? Just so some over paid prima donnas can buy 10 million dollar homes.
It is disgusting .
gbguy20  
#32 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 11:02:44 AM(UTC)
Word is teams have been offerings cousins 3 year contracts fully guaranteed.
Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 12:11:33 PM(UTC)
Soooo....you DID help me make my point that without a good defense, even a great showing by a QB (even Brady) you won’t win a super bowl.

The “stupid” money that these guys make, for playing a game....it’s mind boggling.
This is why average people can’t go see a game live. If you have a family of 4, just to go to one game, it will cost you at least $800 to $1000 , or even more. What average family can afford that? Just so some over paid prima donnas can buy 10 million dollar homes.
It is disgusting .

We all know the Packers need an improvement on defense. What you said about Tom Brady and the Super Bowl was a touch ... off. ;-)

Yes, bringing two of daughters and my dad to a playoff game was close to $500 at Lambeau. Fortunately, it was too damn cold to be drinking or eating anything. And I'm cheap, so I parked about six blocks away. lol

The amount of money athletes make is absurd. I feel a good portion of that money should go into a pension fund that helps all athletes in that respective profession. That way players even yester-year can be taken care of equally as well as the current players. Too many players hit it rich in their early to mid 20's and piss the money away. What good does that do anyone?
sschind  
#34 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 1:27:17 PM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps the we should ask the question, What % of an NFL Teams total funds that the League says they may spend on player salaries should go to pay a QB ?

First, we must know the total amount the the league allows a team to spend on player salaries or What is the 2018 Cap ?

Second, What would be a fair cap for a QB or a WR or a CB ?

Example: Say that all teams have the same salary cap and it is $200 million.
What % of that amount should the league set as the maximum amount that any team can pay a QB ? 15% or more or less ? What is fair ?

A RB ? A TE ? A CB ?

If max. percentage amounts were set for all of a teams positions, a player would then look harder at a teams location, current players and coaches, and a teams facilities before he chose which team to play for. In addition, the NFLPA would sit in on league meetings that revealed how much all NFL teams make from TV, Product Marketing, etc. in order to fairly raise the cap level each year.

There was a time when NY or LA or Miami might command a greater opportunity for a player to earn money outside of football, but that has changed (just ask Aaron Rodgers).

A fairer system not only benefits the players, but also the owners and the league as well.

The league should not set maximums for each position. Eventually the cap will flatten and some teams will get caught short and then they will start to figure it out. I love Aaron Rodgers as the Packers QB but if he is going to cost 30 plus million against the cap (in a couple of years) part of me thinks maybe we should see what kind of trade offers we would get. I'd consider Cleveland's first 5 picks this year.

Rss Feed