Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sschind  
#41 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 1:51:26 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
Getting better draft positioning is always a good thing so I am totally on board with that.

Unfortunately, I really think d ran is a bit too dramatic for this team. I had warmed up to him as the season went on. Then after the season he said that the championship goes through green bay and I'm just like...take a step back man. He irks the heck out of me. I assume it gets tiring working with him.

I hate it when players have confidence..

Smokey  
#42 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:07:07 PM(UTC)
Having confidence in yourself is fine, but no Manager/Coach that I've ever known or heard of will put up with an employee mouthing off disrespectfully. That is what I suspect that Randall did and I'd get rid of such an employee as well. However in this case GB got something for him in return.

I agree with GB's new GM and support what he has done up to this point. It is not unusual for a new GM to purge and restock their team. ThumpUp
nerdmann  
#43 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:33:03 PM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
Having confidence in yourself is fine, but no Manager/Coach that I've ever known or heard of will put up with an employee mouthing off disrespectfully. That is what I suspect that Randall did and I'd get rid of such an employee as well. However in this case GB got something for him in return.

I agree with GB's new GM and support what he has done up to this point. It is not unusual for a new GM to purge and restock their team. ThumpUp

Let’s see what Gute has for us. He’s The Man now.
DarkaneRules  
#44 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:16:02 PM(UTC)
Confidence is fine but coming off a year where the team doesn't make the playoffs and you got benched maybe have some humility.
macbob  
#45 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 4:05:00 PM(UTC)
I'm going to wonder if Gute played less hard ball with Cleveland than he might have otherwise, with Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, and Greg Williams on the other end.
Smokey  
#46 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 8:01:24 PM(UTC)
macbob said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to wonder if Gute played less hard ball with Cleveland than he might have otherwise, with Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, and Greg Williams on the other end.

IMO, GB moving up to get the 1st picks of the 4th and 5th rounds of the draft is a trade victory.

1st round - 14th pick
2nd round - 46th pick
3rd round - 78th pick
4th round - 97th pick (instead of the 110th pick)
5th round - 129th pick (instead of the 141st pick)

Plus all of GB's other accumulated draft picks.

BigGrin
DarkaneRules  
#47 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:13:50 AM(UTC)
I've been surprised that almost no fans seem to be talking about the value in moving up to the positions they did. I think they're worried this will be another Casey Hayward situation. I get it but all reports seem to point to this being a different scenario than Hayward's. This wasn't about a numbers game. Something was going on behind the scenes and, for the sake of team unity and health, it should stay there.
beast  
#48 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:20:35 AM(UTC)
(no coach) will put up with an employee mouthing off disrespectfully. That is what I suspect that Randall did and I'd get rid of such an employee as well.

I suspect Randall did more than just that... I'd be surprised if the vet players wanted to get rid of him just because he ran his mouth. Unless it was so bad that he was creating a poisonous atmosphere.

I feel like there is more to this story than we're going to hear.

macbob said: Go to Quoted Post

Wolf and Highsmith probably knew that the team was interested in getting rid of Randall and that they really really like Kizer last draft. So it might not of been about hardball, but simply they already know your hand and desire and have the perfect offer and know where to stop.

Though I would of liked Cleveland to throw in another late round pick (say a 6th round pick in next year's draft)
Smokey  
#49 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:16:12 PM(UTC)
Randall is gone, and the past is spilled milk. GB got Kizer (QB) from the Browns + two improved draft picks.

I went to YouTube and was able to view Kizer's final game as the Brown's QB vs the Steelers. He showed a strong arm on some throws and poor accuracy on many others. With better coaching and better teammates, he might challenge Hundley for QB2.
TheKanataThrilla  
#50 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:27:44 PM(UTC)
With better coaching and better teammates, he might challenge Hundley for QB2.

I'd be surprised if Hundley is around for training camp. I would think the goal would be to develop and eventually market Kizer for a trade at some point. No point putting him behind or competing with Hundley when the football world has already seen what Hundley has to offer. I don't think Kizer is the planned successor for Aaron as I am pretty sure Aaron still has quite a few more good years left. A new contract for Aaron will hopefully set out some type of timeline as it will probably be his last.

Smokey  
#51 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:29:09 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
I'd be surprised if Hundley is around for training camp. I would think the goal would be to develop and eventually market Kizer for a trade at some point. No point putting him behind or competing with Hundley when the football world has already seen what Hundley has to offer. I don't think Kizer is the planned successor for Aaron as I am pretty sure Aaron still has quite a few more good years left. A new contract for Aaron will hopefully set out some type of timeline as it will probably be his last.

You may or may not be right. Yet the prime goal is to have the best QB2 possible to be ready to step up if needed. If 2017 clearly taught us anything, it's to have a Plan B ready to go at all times.

Provided no more QB deals take place, Hundley and Kizer should push each other in TC. Callihan's future with the Packers may be in even more jeopardy than the others. Like I've already said, it could be a very interesting 2018 TC.
Mucky Tundra  
#52 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:56:21 PM(UTC)
Wasn't a fan of this trade when I first learned of it. I knew Randall had some problems but I thought it was more of the "young fish with a big ego in a small pond" type of deal plus the guy had shown flashes his rookie year and the second half of last year. Now that I see these reports that he was this toxic in the locker room, it looks like a steal that the Packers got anything for him. The Browns 4th rounder looks real nice: good for trade bait to get another 3rd rounder or standing pat and grabbing someone who falls through the 2nd day.
wpr  
#53 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 7:50:37 AM(UTC)
I've been surprised that almost no fans seem to be talking about the value in moving up to the positions they did. I think they're worried this will be another Casey Hayward situation. I get it but all reports seem to point to this being a different scenario than Hayward's. This wasn't about a numbers game. Something was going on behind the scenes and, for the sake of team unity and health, it should stay there.

Trade value-
pick 101 = 96 points pick 114 = 66 points
pick 138 = 36.5 pick 150 = 31

Of course these are estimates. Not every chart uses the same valuation.

For those who were wondering why the 4th and 5th rounds and not swapping in the 3rd round- Cleveland does not have a 3rd round pick. It was traded to Buffalo. If it had been available Cleveland's pick would have had a value of 265 and GB 210.

The value chart kind of emphasizes there isn't a lot of value in the 5th round or later. That doesn't mean you can't find a player but the odds get pretty long. Cleveland could have actually swapped places in the 4-7th rounds and it wouldn't have greatly impacted the quality of athlete available.

Zero2Cool  
#54 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 12:19:19 PM(UTC)
This does bring up a good point.
DarkaneRules  
#55 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 12:31:02 PM(UTC)
Yea, that point was referenced earlier without credit, I believe. Even so, this locker room and coaching staff didn't work well with the guy, but that doesn't mean he should have a shot elsewhere. Perhaps thinks work out better with a different group of guys...
Zero2Cool  
#56 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 1:18:00 PM(UTC)
Yea, that point was referenced earlier without credit, I believe. Even so, this locker room and coaching staff didn't work well with the guy, but that doesn't mean he should have a shot elsewhere. Perhaps thinks work out better with a different group of guys...

In this thread? I must have missed it. Apologies to whomever said it first.
DarkaneRules  
#57 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 1:44:26 PM(UTC)
Aww no no. They were just referencing it, but it was indirect. :)
beast  
#58 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 8:05:30 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
This does bring up a good point.

Has anyone said Randall was a turd? Sounds like people have been saying that he has physical potential but that he simply wore out his welcome in the Green Bay locker room.

In Cleveland, he has a fresh start and if he wears out his welcome there, then they can simply decided to not resign him when his contract runs up.
gbguy20  
#59 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 8:30:57 PM(UTC)
Totalpa ckers sure let him have it
Rss Feed