Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
With other teams drafting players to fix their team's needs, the chances are fairly good that GB will get a shot at one of the top three CB's. If that does not come to pass, then I'm sure that BG will have a Plan B.

BG has so far done very well as GB's new GM. He has been dealing with the teams player needs and has not yet made bad deal. [biggrin]

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

I call BS on Ted doing BPA the last 5 years. Always seemed to do BPA limited to just a few positions of need

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I agree and think that's correct from further back as Thompson's 2nd selections have almost always been a needed position where they either had a huge hole already or had an important free agent at the position the following year.

Packers had a two year position need window, while the fans had a 1 year need window... Packers often went after need.

But the Packers model seemed to follow this order

1) Value positions (ie certain positions such as QB, OT, pass rusher and coverage) are more valuable in the NFL

2) Possible Needed Position in the next two years (maybe not an ASAP need, but if we don't resign that guy the following year then it's going to be a huge need, so get a jump on the developing by having a guy already here studying for a year)

3) Who they thought was most talented or most polished of guys with good attitudes.

4) Who they thought was most talented
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

With other teams drafting players to fix their team's needs, the chances are fairly good that GB will get a shot at one of the top three CB's. If that does not come to pass, then I'm sure that BG will have a Plan B.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I think what might be more important is fine a talented CB that fits into the system... I don't think that the best CB will be around at 14 and I'm not sure the next best CBs fit into this defensive scheme, as they're either small or zone CBs.

Based on the guys the Packers we're looking at in FA, they want big, man coverage, CBs... and those types (in this draft) might be a big reach for #14 and might more likely go in the second round.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
Most of the time, the best players come from the best schools. However sometimes great players emerge from schools like Western Kentucky or Miami (Ohio) or Boise State. The scouts generally know about them and like a good poker player they don't tip off that they may be interested. There may be a lightning fast 6'3" CB or WR that has not gained prominence as their college team simply sucked.

Players like these can be easily drafted in the later rounds and when weight trained or better coached can become true diamonds in the rough. We as fans need to trust that such players were chosen for valid reasons.

[twocents]

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
Every year there is always the excitement of who The Packers are going to draft.
Every year expectations are way to high, and by the end of the year there's always more disappointment that there's guys didn't live up to the expectations.
You draft for the future.
BPA.
Just as there is not enough practice time to allow players to get in football shape, there is even less time to get rookies ready to play.
Practice time needs to be addressed when the new contract is negotiated in a couple of years.
The Packers get ONE guy in this draft who becomes a full time starter this year, they will be doing really well.
2 or more and that is a great draft. (As long as injuries are not the reason for starts)

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
sschind
6 years ago

BG has so far done very well as GB's new GM. He has been dealing with the teams player needs and has not yet made bad deal. [biggrin]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I doubt 3 CBs will go before we pick at 14 so yes I am sure GB will get a shot at one of the top 3 CBs. The question is whether or not the third rated CB is worth a pick at #14 when there may be much higher rated players available?

I looked on Walter football and their 3rd rated CB is listed as a 1-2 round prospect. Do you really want your #14 pick to be a guy rated as a possible 2nd rounder. I know its only 1 site and it may not even be a good 1 but I'm just using it as an example. I just looked at several others and some have 3 CBs ranked in the top 20 and I would almost guarantee at least one of them will be there. Like I said I don't think taking the 20th ranked player at #14 is that big of a deal but if someone ranked much higher is available I don't like the idea of locking into one position just because it may be the position of greatest need.

I also agree that BG most likely has a plan B. Heck, according to someone on another site he had better have a plan "F" because his plans A,B,C,D,E are shot to hell.

DarkaneRules
6 years ago
I'm thinking more and more about moving back into the early-mid 20s, to be honest.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I'm thinking more and more about moving back into the early-mid 20s, to be honest.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Who has multiple top end 2nd round picks? Let's make them our bitch!!
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
It depends how QB crazy the draft turns out to be, you're already seeing shuffling in the top 5 to position themselves how will it play out later in the round? Having Rosen or another QB of interest still on the board could be a sweet spot to be in to ransom off the pick.

Cheesey
6 years ago
Picking who you CONSIDER the “BPA” doesn’t guarantee that you will be getting someone who is going to be a great NFL player.
Stocking up on one position while ignoring glaring positions of need is a surefire way of sucking for several years.
Just because some college kid SEEMS to be a great pick doesn’t guarantee he will do anything in the pros.
You can go through the 1st round drafts the last 20 years and pick dozens of “can’t miss” picks that MISSED.
Picking for “BPA”. What has that got us?
Glaring holes in our defense.
Sometimes the BPA and our need happen to end up the same.
UserPostedImage