Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
This discussion has been thrown around for a the time frame I have been here.. do you build a defense from the front and let it bleed to the backend... or do you build it from a the Backend and trickle the pressure to the opposition based on coverage.

I like the pressure point to be the front end of the defense and make the backends job easier, especially with the rules biased towards the offenses these days. You can't have stiffs in the backend, but you don't have to have elite talent either to be successful.

And the complexity of the defense, this is the pros, you should be able to expect the players to be able to handle complexity. Pop in a tape of Wisconsin's defense from the point Dave Aranda stepped onto the campus through Jimmy L... they run a complex defense in which they ask the players to adjust. Now granted it is Wisconsin with a bit higher expectations in the classroom than some of the SEC schools, but they can handle the complexity. Why shouldn't we expect it out of the pros?

New Packers defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson said that Mike Pettine's scheme works best when the defensive line dominates.

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

Although there are some similarities to former defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ 3-4-based scheme, the defense Pettine plans to implement as Capers’ replacement appears to be more multiple and operates best when it has a dominant defensive line.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
5 years ago
A great D line is always going to make d-backs look better. Pressure on a QB forces bad throws, and INTs. It also doesn’t allow plays down field to develope. The DBs don’t have to cover as long.
It throws off the whole timing of the offense.
We have seen what no pressure on QBs has done to us.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

A great D line is always going to make d-backs look better. Pressure on a QB forces bad throws, and INTs. It also doesn’t allow plays down field to develope. The DBs don’t have to cover as long.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Maybe this new Dline will make the OLBs look like they don’t suck.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
It all starts up front. Get consistent pressure on the QB and good things are going to happen. Let a QB stand in the pocket all day and he will hurt you. Unless it's a QB like Hundley.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
5 years ago
I like the idea of a really good Dline - IMO we havnt had that for awhile now. We have had a ok dline and expected our OLBers to make the good plays and when they cant they we as suggested dont get any pressure and our CBs cant hold up to the long development of the plays.

gbguy20
5 years ago
Pressure or no pressure if pettines defense leaves the middle of the field wide open like capers d did then we don't stand a chance
Barfarn
5 years ago
Tramon said it was the CBs were the key to Pettine's D.
And Tramon is right.

Many of you are living in the past! Time to ditch the group think confirmation bias.
In general, it is very easy to negate a pass rush, all ya need is have a decent QB without an ego that will get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds. In the SB, Philly has a great DL, NE's OL is mediocre; but the NE OL beat the Philly DL, because NE has a great QB without a messiah complex.

Plus, if you got 2 good CBs, 2 receivers cant get separation and then 5 non rushers guys can cover the other 3 receivers.

In the age of the cap, no one can pay an OL and a top QB. If ya do, there's no $$$ left for the defense.

Seattle's plan was to spend the $$$ on securing that bumper crop of D-players they developed from 2010-2012 drafts, Wilson and a couple of weapons. And 100% ignoring paying an OL. They thought Cable could take 5 not so good OLmen and make them close to average, then quick passes, runs and Wilson's scramblebility would negate much of the rest of that DL/OL mismatch. Though the Seattle experiment was a failure [in no small part because they had a 10M TE that wouldn't block, fight for a contested pass, or know how to run routes]; this idea is a trend taking over the league. As it should!

Another example: we started 4-1 last year with an OL on paper was down right scary; because Rodgers got rid of the ball. In game 6 [v. Minnesota] we FINALLY had our stud starting OL back. How how unstoppable our O would be now? Ahh scratch that, glory boy stopped getting rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds and broke his god damn collar bone.
Smokey
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I agree, and that is why all teams have offensive lines. The best ones provide their QB's time to pass the football. GB must play teams this season like the Rams, and the 49ers, and the Patriots, as well as others that will protect their QB and will throw the ball. Great D-line pressure is great, but a QB like Brady or Cousins or Wilson will just carve you up with short/quick passes if your CBs can't cover.

I believe that BG has already and will continue to address these areas as back ups always play a role in every season. The addition of Wilkerson at DE and the return of Williams at CB are a good start.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
Yes, you also have to have DBs that don’t suck.
Thank you “Captain Obvious!”😂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.