yooperfan
5 years ago
So, if the Packers sign Jordan Matthews, can we call him Jordy?😕
isocleas2
5 years ago

I may be a bit off here (or everywhere as some have said) but do we really need another WR?

Jordy was an player with excellent body control and ball skills... we lost that, but we have depth here.

Davis should be able to take a large step forward, that gives you three good options. Yancy is a player, throw in some college footage of him, you can put him into the rotation and should perform. Allison has flashed at times...

Two TE sets with Graham and Kendricks is also a viable option in passing plays... both should be able to place stress up the seam or those mid range outs..

So yes, we could bring in more talent, but with cap room a concern and a defense that needs work, unless we get a good deal, do we really need more WR talent over another spot. Guard comes to mind... there is a spot that I would rather sign a vet than lean on a rook.

WR is the one spot you can unearth talent consistently later in the rounds. I think that is the play here. IMO.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I think we may be overrating some of our own players a bit. Adams is a legit WR1 and Cobb still could/should be good enough in the slot. Outside of those two I don't think there's another WR on the roster you want to be forced to play next year. Allison, Davis, Yancy are all guys who COULD step up next year and be a solid #3 WR but they also just as easily could be cut/out of the league.

Same with tight end, I think Graham will be a solid TE but outside of him there's no one else that inspires much confidence.

The Packers are not desperate for playmakers but if Adams/Graham get injured they sure would be. They need to invest a couple of early picks in 2018/2019 to reload the receiving group imo.
Pack93z
5 years ago

I think we may be overrating some of our own players a bit. Adams is a legit WR1 and Cobb still could/should be good enough in the slot. Outside of those two I don't think there's another WR on the roster you want to be forced to play next year. Allison, Davis, Yancy are all guys who COULD step up next year and be a solid #3 WR but they also just as easily could be cut/out of the league.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

I concur, they are not proven players. But just the same, with Rodgers chewing a good chunk of the cap up and holes along the roster, I consider investing heavily into WR via Free Agency an incorrect priority.

My point is we have a better chance of finding a #3 receiver that can play immediately in the draft mid to late round or from those upon the roster than we would at other positions on this team.

Nothing more.

The guy that I believe will be the next regular in the stable is Yancy. We haven't even talked Monty yet.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
5 years ago

I may be a bit off here (or everywhere as some have said) but do we really need another WR?

Jordy was an player with excellent body control and ball skills... we lost that, but we have depth here.

Davis should be able to take a large step forward, that gives you three good options. Yancy is a player, throw in some college footage of him, you can put him into the rotation and should perform. Allison has flashed at times...

Two TE sets with Graham and Kendricks is also a viable option in passing plays... both should be able to place stress up the seam or those mid range outs..

So yes, we could bring in more talent, but with cap room a concern and a defense that needs work, unless we get a good deal, do we really need more WR talent over another spot. Guard comes to mind... there is a spot that I would rather sign a vet than lean on a rook.

WR is the one spot you can unearth talent consistently later in the rounds. I think that is the play here. IMO.

More hopeful about Yancey than Davis, but Davis has the speed.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
5 years ago

Do we really need another WR? YES. As Iso said we have Adams and Cobb and no one else of substance so again a big yes.

We Have depth here- I'm sorry but I have to disagree big time with that one.

Davis should step forward -Big assumption

Yancy is a player - I'd say more of a JAG. lots of guys have good college tape and fail miserably in the NFL.

Allison has flashed at time- So have lots of other unemployed WRs. I've seen nothing from him that makes me think he will be anything special.

I'll give you the TEs. I think Graham will be fine and Kendricks will improve a lot.

Unearth talent in the later rounds - Ted sucked at it. Maybe Gute can do it but from what I see of the Packer WRs it is easily the 3rd biggest need on the team. We have Adams and Cobb (who everyone thinks has lost it and wants to cut anyway) and that's it. If you want to add the TEs we have one that was very good once but hasn't been recently but I do think he can be again.

Bottom Line, Yes we need another WR. Either a veteran FA or a high (2nd day) pick or preferably both.
nerdmann
5 years ago

Same with tight end, I think Graham will be a solid TE but outside of him there's no one else that inspires much confidence.

The Packers are not desperate for playmakers but if Adams/Graham get injured they sure would be. They need to invest a couple of early picks in 2018/2019 to reload the receiving group imo.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Don’t forget about Montgomery.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
5 years ago
Need this too.
Bigbyfan
5 years ago
With the new catch rule, it'd be pretty funny to see Dez Bryant in a Packers jersey if he ends up getting cut lol.
blank
Smokey
5 years ago
Every year every team has players to come and visit with them. Some of those players are invited because a team is interested in adding that player to their roster.
Most of the invited players are never picked in the draft by that team or signed to a deal. So just what is going on?

It's a game that GM's play among themselves. Fool your fellow GMs into thinking that your team is interested in getting a player, when in fact they are looking in a whole different direction. Misdirection, faking out your competitor, creating a false front that might just lure another team to pick player A and not player B that your team really wants. This game is played in all sports by all the GM's.

Yes, most certainly players are invited so they can be lured into a contract or because a team wants to meet a player that they like and may want to draft. Also a player might just be a deoy, but proves to impress unexpectedly. What we need to realise is that it is part of a GM's duties to be a sneaky fellow. [thumbup]

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Zero’s right, I like this guy. Didn’t realize he was sub 4.5. Let’s do it.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.