Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:01:05 AM(UTC)
ESPN said:
Moving on from Jahri Evans and Bryan Bulaga is a possibility for the Packers, who have several potential replacements already on the roster.

Continue Reading @ ESPN

If they move on from Evans and Bulaga I don't know what to expect from their replacements. Letting Bulaga go will mean the end to their first round OT draft picks. Injuries kept Derek Sherrod and Bulaga from living up to their full potential.
gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:57:03 AM(UTC)
Do not like
nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:05:11 AM(UTC)
I like Kyle Murphy. Maybe Spriggs just had a bad year.
yooperfan  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:26:17 AM(UTC)
I’m glad to hear this.
It’s time.
sschind  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:42:10 PM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
I’m glad to hear this.
It’s time.

As long as they are confident in the replacements they have on the roster already I'm fine with it as well. They can always draft depth but I'd hate to go into the draft knowing we need another upgrade.

Starters like Evans may be able after late cutdowns but I'd hate to have to rely on it.

nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:20:27 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
As long as they are confident in the replacements they have on the roster already I'm fine with it as well. They can always draft depth but I'd hate to go into the draft knowing we need another upgrade.

Starters like Evans may be able after late cutdowns but I'd hate to have to rely on it.

We've got Gs. What we need is a T.
beast  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:30:37 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
We've got Gs. What we need is a T.

I agree, McCray struggled at RT, but he did well enough that I think he could be good starting at OG. And if the OTs are set, Murphy can probably move into OG as well. Plus Patrick looked alright with his playing time and I thought Amichia had good long-term potential... but Amichia needed to mentally relax to play faster, which should happen after he gets comfortable with the playbook and to get stronger.

The OT depth is much more questionable... Murphy might be a solid swing OT but I'm not sure if he can start long term there. Spriggs had all the physical potential, but just seems to be unable to develop... he should have developed more in his four years of starting in college and because he didn't, he dropped to the second round... unless he gets a wake up call or embarrassed and motivation changes (like Lang got), I don't see him improving that much.
nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:44:52 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree, McCray struggled at RT, but he did well enough that I think he could be good starting at OG. And if the OTs are set, Murphy can probably move into OG as well. Plus Patrick looked alright with his playing time and I thought Amichia had good long-term potential... but Amichia needed to mentally relax to play faster, which should happen after he gets comfortable with the playbook and to get stronger.

The OT depth is much more questionable... Murphy might be a solid swing OT but I'm not sure if he can start long term there. Spriggs had all the physical potential, but just seems to be unable to develop... he should have developed more in his four years of starting in college and because he didn't, he dropped to the second round... unless he gets a wake up call or embarrassed and motivation changes (like Lang got), I don't see him improving that much.

Amichia is a wild card. Could play C, this staff loves versatility.
buckeyepackfan  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 2:13:23 AM(UTC)
Not sure what age has to do with it.

Pretty sure The Packers played (And won) a gsme last year with a Center and 4 Guards playing because all 5 guys that were listed as Tackles were out.
Age didn't matter the injury bug hit The OT position hard early last year.

Just a ploy to dump another big contract and hope someone steps up.

The "silence" from The Aaron Rodgers camp is deafening!
Smokey  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:59:57 AM(UTC)
GB's most current Roster/Depth Chart shows 5 OT's.

LT -- Bakhtiari, Spriggs, & Pankey

RT -- Bulaga, Murphy

Drafted Tackles

2017 [212] Kofi Amichia - S.Fla.
2016 [48] Jason Spriggs - Indiana
2016 [200] Kyle Murphy - Stanford
2013 [104] David Bakhtiari - Colorado
2013 [122] J.C.Tretter - Cornell
2012 [241] Andrew Datco - Fla.State
2010 [23] Bryan Bulaga - Iowa
2009 [104] T.J.Lang - E.Michigan
2009 [163] Jamon Meredith - S.Carolina

5 of the last 9 drafted OTs are still with the Packers. 4 are listed as Tackles and one is not (Amichia). Drafting a OT is is a fairly regular occurrence, as it takes up to 3 NFL seasons to train, pump up, and generally get a good College lad ready to play against men that are willing to rip your head off. That said, I fully expect to see BG take an OT with the Packer's 3rd or 4h 2018 Draft pick. It will help to keep the ready supply on hand that has served GB well for years.

Spriggs and Murphy will be entering their 3rd seasons with valuable game experience to their credit. Amichia will enter his 2nd campaign and could be called upon if necessary to fill in as an OT.

All is well, the sky is not falling. R-E-L-A-X !

TheKanataThrilla  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:41:30 AM(UTC)
It is a bit concerning to me to walk away from Evans and Bulaga. Maybe we can restructure Bulaga's deal? It gets compounded by having a TE that is not a blocker. Maybe this is a waiting game and we wait until after the draft to make a decision, but I am not comfortable at this pointing giving starter duty to McCray and Spriggs.

I have read or heard somewhere that this is a weak draft for Tackles. Do we take McGlinchey if he is available? It would certainly make moving away from Bulaga a bit easier to swallow.

I also wonder if we if incorporate Ripkowski more in the offense in a blocking capacity this season.
gbguy20  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 2:27:57 PM(UTC)
Richard blocking Rodgers is now officially gone. Better keep Bulaga.
yooperfan  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:15:40 PM(UTC)
Nobody even knows when or if Bulaga will ever be able to take the field again.
Time to move on!
gbguy20  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:17:22 PM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Nobody even knows when or if Bulaga will ever be able to take the field again.
Time to move on!

Say what now?
yooperfan  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:22:00 PM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
Say what now?

I said it, time to move on from the oft injured Bulaga!

Smokey  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 8:05:30 PM(UTC)
David Bakhtiari and Bryan Bulaga will be GB's Starting Offensive Tackles unless another player/s can beat them out. Injuries heal and Coaches change, but you still must outplay a man to take his spot. Spriggs and Murphy will both enter their 3rd seasons and should be better able to fill in if needed. Amichia may be ready this year to compete for a Tackle position, but getting him trained as a full service offensive lineman gives GB more options when/if needed.

Looking to the future, if drafting another OT is a decision that BG feels is right, then I will support his pick. Afterall, it is not unusual for the Packers to keep adding/training OT's for their future.
Cheesey  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 8:22:07 AM(UTC)
You can draft o-linemen in the draft, but chances are they won’t be immediate help.
So to get rid of veteran players to let rookie unknowns to protect Aaron Rodgers is taking a huge chance.
TheKanataThrilla  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 9:27:13 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
You can draft o-linemen in the draft, but chances are they won’t be immediate help.
So to get rid of veteran players to let rookie unknowns to protect Aaron Rodgers is taking a huge chance.

I agree unless they are a first round talent. The pundits on the NFL Network seem to think that McGlinchey could start at RT day one. Question is where is he on your board? Does trading down make sense. Since there are few quality OTs being talked about in the draft they are going to be overvalued most likely.

It appears Jahri Evans is open to coming back for another year. I would certainly like that as he comes with a nice affordable pricetag.
wpr  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 9:43:32 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree unless they are a first round talent. The pundits on the NFL Network seem to think that McGlinchey could start at RT day one. Question is where is he on your board? Does trading down make sense. Since there are few quality OTs being talked about in the draft they are going to be overvalued most likely.

It appears Jahri Evans is open to coming back for another year. I would certainly like that as he comes with a nice affordable pricetag.

The Big Board for Walter's has him at 18 so it's not a reach.

Quote:
Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. Previously: 18 Avg. 18.3 per 30
04/04/18: McGlinchey is a solid, well-rounded, experienced and technically sound blocker. Overall, he is generally consistent, but in many games, he would have a few plays get away from him. Thus, he isn't a lock-down franchise left tackle prospect, but he should become a quality starting left tackle with some Pro Bowl appearances in his career. Team sources said that McGlinchey interviewed well at the combine.

Read more: http://walterfootball.co...ftbigboard#ixzz5BuZ3OXmn
DoddPower  
#20 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 11:59:25 AM(UTC)
The Packers can't keep "moving on" from decent players without having a replacement that is at least as good or better. When healthy, Bulaga is a very good RT. The Packers have no other starters on the roster. There is no way the Packers are going to find multiple GOOD starters in a single draft, and it doesn't seem like they are going to fill many more holes via free agency. Eat Bulaga's salary for one more year and cross your fingers that he stays healthy. This will give another year to figure out a better solution. The Packers simply have too many holes right now.

Moving on from Evans is likely the right decision. I can't imagine some free agent or developmental player on the Packers roster couldn't offer as much as he would likely offer this upcoming season, especially late in the year.
Rss Feed