Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
7 Pages<1234>»

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smokey  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:42:26 PM(UTC)
Many of you are as bad as "chicken little". He thought that the sky was falling too.

BG may be a new GM, but he has been preforming pretty well so far. Allow him the full stage to preform on and not pass judgement while the show is on. I'm quite sure that he is aware of his team's needs and will I'm sure be working to fill the roster with the best players that he can get.

I posted that I hope the BG selects the best CB that he can with the 14th pick. Again, what do you want to see BG do with the 14th draft pick?
Cheesey  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:11:44 PM(UTC)
I like what BG has done so far.
I have a lot of hope for this coming season. He has shown that he wants to win NOW.
sschind  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:49:09 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Picking who you CONSIDER the “BPA” doesn’t guarantee that you will be getting someone who is going to be a great NFL player.
Stocking up on one position while ignoring glaring positions of need is a surefire way of sucking for several years.
Just because some college kid SEEMS to be a great pick doesn’t guarantee he will do anything in the pros.
You can go through the 1st round drafts the last 20 years and pick dozens of “can’t miss” picks that MISSED.
Picking for “BPA”. What has that got us?
Glaring holes in our defense.
Sometimes the BPA and our need happen to end up the same.

I honestly don't think Ted was picking BPA for a while. Maybe we should get back to it.

Smokey  
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 5:06:01 AM(UTC)
Many have been and still are predicting that GB will use their #1 pick to get a DE/OLB that can get sacks right away. Another group says that GB will get a CB that fits or exceeds the teams minimum size requirements. Some want a WR and others want an Offensive Tackle.

The "best available player" crowd is still around would be happy getting a RB if they felt that he was the best player available.

I would look to fill the greatest need with the best player that would fit the team best.
Cheesey  
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:20:18 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
I honestly don't think Ted was picking BPA for a while. Maybe we should get back to it.

I think he WAS. He was picking the player that was the BPA in HIS eyes.

That’s one thing that will end now.
Maybe the new GM will have a better idea of who will be the best player for the Green Bay Packers.
Bigbyfan  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 5:15:41 AM(UTC)
I said it weeks ago and I'm gonna stick to it. I hope Roquan Smith out of Georgia falls to us. Not necessarily a position we need but I think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl MLB. Has the speed we've lacked for years.
Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 8:00:19 AM(UTC)
Bigbyfan said: Go to Quoted Post
I said it weeks ago and I'm gonna stick to it. I hope Roquan Smith out of Georgia falls to us. Not necessarily a position we need but I think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl MLB. Has the speed we've lacked for years.

At MLB or ILB, whichhever it is, look at the importance of Sean Lee to the Cowboys. When he's on the field, they are incredibly better so someone at that position can make a huge difference.
hardrocker950  
#28 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 11:29:47 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
At MLB or ILB, whichhever it is, look at the importance of Sean Lee to the Cowboys. When he's on the field, they are incredibly better so someone at that position can make a huge difference.

I would say anything that would improve our pass rush - our secondary would appreciate not having to cover for 30 seconds per play.

Which ever way they go - any game changer on D would be good to me.
dhazer  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 10:28:01 AM(UTC)
I would die if somehow Josh Allen fell to us at 14. That would be so awesome but i know its a fairy tale. But just think they drafted a qb that fell in the draft when Favre was 35 and if the same thing happened Rodgers would be 35 lol. I see a de ja vue coming. Rodgers wants to make the front office decisions already. He will hold the team hostage now with his contract. Will BG have the balls to trade Rodgers away in a few years or let him walk
nerdmann  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 11:34:54 AM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
I would die if somehow Josh Allen fell to us at 14. That would be so awesome but i know its a fairy tale. But just think they drafted a qb that fell in the draft when Favre was 35 and if the same thing happened Rodgers would be 35 lol. I see a de ja vue coming. Rodgers wants to make the front office decisions already. He will hold the team hostage now with his contract. Will BG have the balls to trade Rodgers away in a few years or let him walk

He’d have to approve it with the quadrilateral of authority first.
Smokey  
#31 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 9:34:38 PM(UTC)
First, Aaron Rodgers will retire with the Packers. He ain't going anywhere folks. GB will not place any serious resources pursuing a replacement until 2 to 3 years prior to his retirement. GB is not about to repeat the Favre/Rodgers episode all over again.
PATIENCE

This will be BG's 1st draft as the Packers GM. IMO he will choose either a CB or an Edge Rusher, but I would not be surprised if he picks a WR. This is his start (draftwise) to place his stamp on the Packers.

Deeper into the draft, I see the Packers picking 2 WRs, another CB, a LB, an OT, a TE and a DG(to train). BigGrin
dhazer  
#32 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 5:09:18 PM(UTC)
But Ted Thompson had a HOF QB and in his 1st draft he took a QB. So why can't this GM ? Rodgers is not a god he sometimes hurts the offense when he checks out of running plays or throws the ball 30 yards downfield into double coverage instead of taking the guy open 10 yards down the field.
Nonstopdrivel  
#33 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 5:42:27 PM(UTC)
I'd be ecstatic if a quarterback fell to the Packers whom the front office considered worthy of spending a first-round on despite already having two quarterbacks on the roster. That would set Green Bay up with an embarrassment of riches for the future. But I don't want Gutekunst to make such a bold move unless he's confident that the young guy has the talent to take over for Rodgers when the time comes for No. 12 to hang up the cleats. If there are no such blue-chip prospects available at the 14th pick, I'd rather he fills in one of glaring holes on the roster.

Or best player available. I guess that works too. Especially if BPA happens to be a quarterback. Laugh
Cheesey  
#34 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 9:10:14 AM(UTC)
The chances of getting a third HOF QB is ZERO.
Get ready for a decade of lousy seasons once Aaron Rodgers is gone.
Those that want him gone, thinking that HE is the problem, are crazy.
Has he made mistakes? Yes.
Maybe him not having to do EVERYTHING to try to keep the game within reach, will allow him to R-E-L-A-X! Getting a decent defense would do that I believe.
Nonstopdrivel  
#35 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 1:33:26 PM(UTC)
Heresy, Alan! You don't think DeShone Kizer is destined to be a Hall of Fame quarterback? I'm officially disowning you.
Smokey  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:41:55 AM(UTC)
As the 2018 NFL Draft draws nearer, the predictions and the opinions grow bolder. Following the Draft, the wild ranting about drafting a QB or some of the other nonsense will vanish like smoke on the wind. Good sense will return for a while as we ponder the newly acquired rookies that should join the roster. For now though the "want to be" GMs will continue to post drivel as the pre-draft adrenaline bolsters their imaginations.

Reality however will, as always, return clearer thinking to this forum as the post-draft environment settles down the speculation and left field thinking.

With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, IMO, the GB Packers will choose the best CB or Pass Rusher available. Lets Box!
porky88  
#37 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 1:29:50 PM(UTC)
I have been thinking about what the Packers will do, and I think they are trading up. I know that goes against what the Packers have done in the past, but I don't see value at No. 14. There's value in the top 10, where I think you have 10 solid players. The middle part of the draft just seems weak. After the first 10 guys go, there's not much separating the next 20. That's why I trade up or down. My vote is up because the Packers are in four slots from moving into the top 10.

Here's the 3 guys I think the Packers target.

1. Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame

I think he's a guard, and I think he'll go between 6 and 10. If he falls past the Colts, then the Packers start calling. You can plug him in at RG for the next 10 years. Big, strong, good footwork. I could see the Packers getting cute (like they always do), and moving him to RT. He'd probably be pretty good there. I know everyone is thinking pass rush and defensive back, but they need to protect the franchise (Rodgers), and they need to develop a running game. Nelson impacts this team more than any other player would on day one.

2. Saquan Barkley, RB, Penn State

I don't see what people see in Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, and Ty Montgomery. The latter is a WR. I love him in college as a slot WR. He needs to return to his roots. The other two are just guys. I hope I am wrong, but I think they are the equivalent to Jake Ryan. I wouldn’t get complacent here. You draft Barkley, pair him with Rodgers and Davante Adams, and you have your very own triplets for the next 5 years (the rest of Rodgers' career).

Additionally, Todd Gurley has made the Rams better on defense and offense. The same for Zeke Elliot and even Leonard Fournette. We can talk about the devaluing of the RB position, but that's not true. You find a stud RB, and it helps teams control the tempo of a game. The Packers need to get back to controlling tempo. They haven’t had that since 2014. Barkley helps in this area, especially on third downs. If he falls past the Colts at No. 6 (and I think he could if there is an early run on QBs), then the Packers start calling.

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

Fitzpatrick will go before the Packers pick. He’s too versatile and too respected of a college player not to come off the board in the top 10. The Packers have been trying to replace Charles Woodson since he left. Fitzpatrick can play outside CB, slot CB, or even safety. I think they would use him in a "roving" role that allows him to be around the ball. Imagine a defense with Fitzpatrick, Josh Jones, HAHA Clinton-Dix, Tramon Williams, and Kevin King. There's a lot of youth there (except for Williams), but a lot of potential as well. It might not be pretty all the time, but if those guys come together late in the year, then GB could produce a respectable defense.
isocleas2  
#38 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:08:28 PM(UTC)
Interesting idea, I think the one player the Packers should consider trading up for is Chubb if he falls out of the top 5 (trade 1st + 2nd). I also wouldn't mind if the Packers traded a 3rd to move up a few spots to draft Ward or Edmunds if they fell out of the top 10. All 3 players fit a major need (CB/EDGE)

Fitzpatrick I wouldn't trade up for because there's a 50/50 chance he makes it to #14. Nelson and Barkley have all-pro potential for their position but offensive guard and running back are less valuable positions and much further down the Packers needs list. Unless they're CERTAIN one of them is a future hall of famer I couldn't justify the cost.

Like Warhawk mentioned in his topic a few days ago just pick one of the top 12 guys who fall or go with Jackson/Davenport/Landry.
porky88  
#39 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 3:24:12 PM(UTC)
isocleas2 said: Go to Quoted Post
Interesting idea, I think the one player the Packers should consider trading up for is Chubb if he falls out of the top 5 (trade 1st + 2nd). I also wouldn't mind if the Packers traded a 3rd to move up a few spots to draft Ward or Edmunds if they fell out of the top 10. All 3 players fit a major need (CB/EDGE)

Fitzpatrick I wouldn't trade up for because there's a 50/50 chance he makes it to #14. Nelson and Barkley have all-pro potential for their position but offensive guard and running back are less valuable positions and much further down the Packers needs list. Unless they're CERTAIN one of them is a future hall of famer I couldn't justify the cost.

Like Warhawk mentioned in his topic a few days ago just pick one of the top 12 guys who fall or go with Jackson/Davenport/Landry.

Value is a matter of perspective. For example, if you think Barkley is the next Todd Gurley, then he is absolutely worth trading up for. If you think he is the next DeAngelo Williams, then you probably let the chips fall where they fall.

The Packers don't have a right guard that can play right now.

I think people fell in love with Ward because of his combine. Frankly, I think Ward is too small to play on the outside and he'll be exposed when facing larger targets. I think the Packers would pass on him, and trade down for Josh Jackson instead. Jackson is just as good. For the record, I think Ward has potential to be a great slot CB, but there are reservations due to his size. The Packers have been pretty consistent with requiring their CBs to meet a certain size. Ward doesn't meet it.

If you take out the combine and pro days, the best DB in the draft is Fitzpatrick. He is very similar to Patrick Peterson (albeit a bit slower). I think he should go before Ward. Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Oakland, and Miami all could look at a defensive back. If you want Fitzpatrick, you probably have to make a move.
Cheesey  
#40 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 4:08:51 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
Heresy, Alan! You don't think DeShone Kizer is destined to be a Hall of Fame quarterback? I'm officially disowning you.

You are disowning me?!?!
If you are trading me, you should get two first round and one second rounder!LOL
Rss Feed