warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
There is no telling when it comes to the draft, however, there are certainly some trends in the projections worth considering in predicting players that might be available at #14.

First of all at least 4 QB's will be chosen in the top 14. The wildcard is if L. Jackson also goes but for now I will stick with four.
Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Mayfield
Consistently in the top 10 on draft boards and top 50 boards include:
RB-Barkley
DE-Chubb
G-Nelson
LB-Edmunds
It would be a total stunner if any of these players sniffs #14.
The next group is consistently in the top 10 to 12:
CB-Ward
S- Fitzpatrick
LB-Smith
S-James
My thinking is the the top 8 above are gone, however, this last group could very well see one or two slip to #14. If you see names called like L, Jackson, Vita Vea, Mclinchey, before #14, and that could easily happen, there is going to be a very good defensive player available that will be hard to pass up.
It would be hard to look over a Ward, Fitzpatrick, Smith, or, James, that I think would be a bargain vs. Davenport or Landry who I think is somewhat of a reach at 14. Not a major reach and either will probably look like a steal by midway thru 2019 IF they live up to the upside they are labeled with. I guess I'm a little gun shy going with upside at 14.
Who knows. Maybe all 12 of these guys are gone but that would be un-draft like from the past where there's usually been a few curve balls thrown early.

On a side note the Bears are in a great position to get one of the top 4 non-qb's in the draft. I can't wait to see how they screw that up.
"The train is leaving the station."
gbguy20
5 years ago
I would have bet everything that Smokey started this thread.
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago
One thing I find intriguing is that there have been Mock Drafts with Josh Rosen falling. Supposedly he didn't interview very well at the combine and many teams don't like him. I believe Walter had him going 12 recently, and an old mock on ESPN (I believe it was McShay) had him going to Arizona at 15.

If Rosen is there would you take him? I did find it interesting that Rosen spent time working with Aaron Rodgers.
DoddPower
5 years ago

One thing I find intriguing is that there have been Mock Drafts with Josh Rosen falling. Supposedly he didn't interview very well at the combine and many teams don't like him. I believe Walter had him going 12 recently, and an old mock on ESPN (I believe it was McShay) had him going to Arizona at 15.

If Rosen is there would you take him? I did find it interesting that Rosen spent time working with Aaron Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

If you think he's a future franchise QB, I don't see how you could pass him up. Let him sit for three years, then trade Aaron Rodgers, even if it's for crumbs. Might need him before if Rodgers regresses or can't stay healthy. It would be stupid for any organization with an aging QB to pass up a franchise QB that could be a star for the next 10-15 years.
nerdmann
5 years ago
I want Landry.

I’ll try to get my board AND my roster analysis done this weekend.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Josh Rosen's brash personality reminds me of Aaron Rodgers' in some ways. Given that he's regarded by scouts as one of the best pure pocket passers -- if not the very best -- to enter the draft in years, the Packers would be insane not to take him if he fell to them. My biggest concern with Rosen is that he's already sustained a couple of concussions, which caused him to miss some playing time. That doesn't bode well for his longevity in the league, especially with Green Bay's less-than-stellar track record in the trenches. If the training staff is convinced he can move on from the physical issues, though, by all means pull the trigger on him.

That being said, I don't really see it happening, not with Gutekunst's having brought Kizer into the fold just this year.
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago
I think your analysis is spot on Warhawk. I believe at least 1 of Ward, Fitzpatrick, Smith or James will be available to us at 14 and even though I know nothing more about them other than what I have read I think any one of them would eb a great pick for us.

As far as Rosen goes I just don't know. You know there would be some phone calls to some teams behind us wanting to move up but maybe he would be to good to pass up. It would be a bit disappointing for the short term considering we may have gotten a play maker who could contribute right away but if the potential for a threepeat at QB is there that would be very nice as well.

Dodd says keep Rodgers for 3 years then trade him. Its possible but would you let him play out his current deal and then franchise him for the third year. The problem is he would be FA after that and the only way you could trade him would be to franchise him again and that would likely be a big risk cost wise. You could extend him and still trade him after three years but what would that do to any accelerated bonuses? I have to believe any extension would involve lots of bonus money and when a player is traded bonus money is moved up. Still it would be doable I suppose.

All I know for sure is I haven't been this excited for a draft in quite some time.
isocleas2
5 years ago
Rosen falling to #14 would be great for the Packers if they want to trade back. I agree with Warhawks assessment that there are 12 players who should be drafted ahead of #14 so if one falls it would be excellent. The problem in my mind is that the players likely to fall don't fill a major Packers need, ILB and Safety ideally wouldn't be addressed until day 2 or 3 after we've already loaded up at CB/edge/WR/TE.

warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Rosen falling to #14 would be great for the Packers if they want to trade back. I agree with Warhawks assessment that there are 12 players who should be drafted ahead of #14 so if one falls it would be excellent. The problem in my mind is that the players likely to fall don't fill a major Packers need, ILB and Safety ideally wouldn't be addressed until day 2 or 3 after we've already loaded up at CB/edge/WR/TE.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

I would agree that if Rosen is there to trade back. If he were there it lessens the chances that a top 10-12 player is still on the board. I see it as doubtful that he is around though. Too many QB needy teams to pass on the talent even if he is kind of a jerk.

I see your point about position concerns but I can't see passing on a top 10-12 talent if one slides. The Packers just don't get that opportunity often. If that's James or Fitzpatrick you take them. I think Thompson fell into this trap of selecting players like Randall projecting him as a CB. Randall should have been a safety but they needed him at CB. Jones was moved to safety due to injuries and it neutralized his aggressive capabilities. Now it's like the dog chasing it's tail. The shuffling of players to positions they don't belong has to stop or the defense isn't going to get better.

You pick a good safety that can play the deep end and let Jones move up and the defense gets better two ways.

The Packers are used to picking in the upper 20's to 30 . There's usually several players that are the 4th or 5th best at their position by then.
Really good players help make really good teams and when a seldom had opportunity to get a top 10 type player comes along don't pass it up.

"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.