Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

the Bucks recently had a valuation over 1 billion dollars

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Doubtful, unless Herb Kohl dumped the team in a firesale. That would imply the team had somehow doubled in value in less than five years. I don't see how that's possible for a team that hasn't so much as sniffed a championship in decades.
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
5 years ago
Hence why Rodgers wants in, Bucks are 26th most valuable nba team if they move or go on some playoff runs that valuation will go much much higher.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/02/12/milwaukee-bucks-are-now-worth-1-billion-plus.amp.html 

Any investor looking to buy a major-market NBA team today will pay at least $2 billion, Forbes says.
gbguy20
5 years ago
I think it is cool that Rodgers is such a fan of many Wisconsin teams considering this isn't his hometown nor primary place of residence. He has really bought in, no pun intended. He could very easily be a fan of one of those star studded LA hometown teams instead.
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

This made the news rounds a couple months ago

isocleas2 wrote:

Thanks for the link. Based on the article you posted, it looks like that $1 billion estimate is predicated largely on the new arena the Bucks are building. The ownership group and Kohl have pumped $250 million of their own money into that arena, so that putative increase in franchise value isn't nearly as impressive as it looks on its face.

The publication estimates the Bucks' revenue for the 2016-2017 season was the NBA’s lowest at $179 million but that’s an improvement from $146 million the previous season. Forbes says the Bucks posted $20 million in operating revenue in 2016-2017 due to receiving an unspecified amount in NBA cost-sharing funds.

“The Bucks will open their new $524 million venue this year with one of the league’s brightest stars in Giannis Antetokounmpo,” Forbes says.

Rich Kirchen wrote:

Those numbers are nothing short of embarrassing. Even with league revenue sharing, the Bucks were only able to post a paltry $20 million in operating revenue! If the CEO of a real company produced numbers that dismal, he's be out on his ass in short order.

As I've said in the past, professional sports franchises are little more than big, fancy playgrounds for billionaires. Buying even a storied, successful team is just a vanity play, a way for a rich guy to show show off his wealth while giving off the illusion of giving back to the community. There's a reason why these owners make the cities pay for their stadiums -- sports teams are such terrible investments that no bank in its right mind will lend to them. This is, incidentally, why I respect the Packers for issuing their silly stock certificates: they make capital improvements on the backs of people who are passionate about the team, instead of foisting the burden on the taxpayers at large, many of whom probably don't give two figs about the fortunes of the team.

It's probably also worth pointing out that Aaron Rodgers is specifically listed as a limited partner in this deal, which means that no matter how much he may have invested, he'll have little or no say in the actual operations of the organization.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
There are a few star players that are willing to be reasonable, and thus make it possible for their team to be champions. (See Tom Brady).
At some point , how much is enough? After all, there IS a salary cap, isn’t there?
Rodgers has been paid very well for 17 years. And I believe he’s still under contract, right?
I’m not saying to low ball him. Yes, he’s one of the best and should get paid well.
I guess if he wants to follow the money, and end his career with ONE Super Bowl win instead of possibly more, that’s his choice.
I want him here. I just hope both sides are reasonable.

UserPostedImage
isocleas2
5 years ago

Thanks for the link. Based on the article you posted, it looks like that $1 billion estimate is predicated largely on the new arena the Bucks are building. The ownership group and Kohl have pumped $250 million of their own money into that arena, so that putative increase in franchise value isn't nearly as impressive as it looks on its face.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

The new arena is a major reason for the Bucks increased valuation but there are a few other more important reasons. Here's a couple other quotes from the article:

NBA franchise values have tripled over the past five years, Forbes says. The publication credits the league’s economics, especially international growth prospects.

On the domestic front, the NBA’s business is benefiting from the start of a new nine-year TV contract with TNT and ESPN worth $24 billion. That’s three times the annual value of the previous television contract, Forbes says.

Basically the NBA appeals to a larger international market than the NFL/NHL/MLB can and is outpacing them, and the new tv deals are making the league much richer. The Bucks even being the ugly duckling they are will still benefit greatly from it. Also Giannnis Antetokounmpo (aka Greek Freak) is now a top 5-10 player in the league and entering the superstar stratosphere.

I like what you wrote about the professional teams being a billionaires playground, its true and in a time when the rich are getting much much richer that also will drive the valuation up on limited commodities. My parents own some land near the water I tell them the same thing whenever they consider selling, there's only so much waterfront real estate for the super rich to buy 😎

http://www.newsweek.com/inequality-could-soon-get-much-worse-774034 
isocleas2
5 years ago

I think it is cool that Rodgers is such a fan of many Wisconsin teams considering this isn't his hometown nor primary place of residence. He has really bought in, no pun intended. He could very easily be a fan of one of those star studded LA hometown teams instead.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I think its smart for Rodgers and the Bucks. Rodgers is probably the most popular person in Wisconsin and a huge star nationwide, he'll help promote the Bucks brand and make it worth even more.

For Rodgers it helps cement his status with Wisconsin even more so, he's smart enough he could be a future Governor/presidential candidate if he wants it one day. Open a chain of car dealerships like Driver etc. He'll only become more popular from a move like this (and richer), gets his foot in the door if he ever wants to be a majority owner somewhere.
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

(and richer)

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Indeed, though much more from the networking, public relations, and endorsement opportunities this will open up for him than from any meager profits he'll extract from the team itself. As you pointed out, it could certainly be a gateway into politics, and it might even pave the way for a future in broadcasting, though I don't know what the ethical considerations of that might entail. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any team owners who anchor a studio or occupy the commentator booth. I have to think that with his combination of Cali cool and biting, sarcastic wit, Aaron Rodgers would be funny as hell running color.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
The media is the only ones I have seen throw out the 30m a year number.

Aaron and The Packers have both said they would like to get a deal done sooner than later.

I have seen Brady's name brought up more than once whenever these contract talks come up.

Tom Brady never gave The Patriots a "discount", he may have restructured his contract at times, but he always got HIS money.
Brady is in his 18th year.
Aaron is in his 13th year.

When Aaron signed his last extension, I thought 20+mil a year was a lot of money.

Turns out The Packers made a pretty good deal.
I have always been on the side of pay the man.
The Packers could easily wait 2 years.

The question then becomes "How much is the going rate for a franchise qb?"

35m, 37m?

The other questions are "do you really want Aaron Rodgers to hit FA after 2019 year? "And "whats it going to cost in 2020 if you slap thr franchise tag on him?"

Franchise tag price will probably be close to 30m by then, if not more.

You let Aaron hit FA and, even at 36yrs old he is going to demand top money. Again that will be 30+mil a year.

This is why I stated in another thread either extend him now or trade him.

Hell The Brown's have 5 0f the top 65 picks in this draft.
Take them and a #1 next year.
Who here doesn't think The Brown's wouldn't go for that?
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
yooperfan
5 years ago

I think that Yooperfan was making the point that if the guy is rich enough to buy part of a NBA franchise, it’s not like he’s hurting for money and shouldn’t feel that it’s necessary to milk every nickel and dime out of the Packers.
It’s not like he’s saying Rodgers should play for FREE, is it?
Just to not make it so ridiculous that the team won’t be able to afford the players necessary to get them to another championship.
Is that asking too much?
I myself don’t think so.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Nice to see that you get it Cheesey!😁

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.