Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
You are the GM of the Browns. Your task is to bring the NFL's last place team back to respectability. You hold the 1st and the 4th overall picks in the upcoming NFL Draft. In addition you have just secured QB Tyrod Taylor, WR Jarvis Landry, and CB D.Randall for your team

Your job is to decide Who/What Position player to draft 1st and why?

EX: If you choose a QB, why did you pass on a RB and vise versa?

If you choose a QB, Who do you pick and why?

This is your chance to play GM and impress us with your superior football management skills.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
6 years ago
If I am Browns GM, I am basically trying to rebuild the team so here are my priorities by position:

D-Line
O-Line
LBs
Secondary
RB
Special Teams
TE
WR
QB

I would then need to have a good understanding of the the coaching talent of my team in the above categories. Most important in drafting is to find guys than can learn under my coaching system. Athleticism is a bonus.

For the next year, I would make the goal of trying to get the team to 8-8 or even 6-10, which should be considering a great success over the previous year. I would then ask the coach to develop Tyrod Taylor to be a game manager and keep the Offensive Playbook relatively simple. Focus is to get a young team solid experience with a few wins under their belt.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
dhazer
6 years ago
I have been saying this before they even did anything, It's a no brainer your taking Barkley at #1. He is the best player in the draft. Your offense is now young and very talented Barkley at rb, Coleman and Gordon on the outside and landry in the slot. You have a very young defense but have the studs in place. You will be able to trade the 4th pick with the Bills and probably pick up the 12th and 21 st pick. Thats where you grab yourself Vita and pair him with Myles Garrett and at 21 grab yourself Jackson from Iowa. Then 11 picks later you grab yourself 1 of the 5 qbs that didn't get drafted.

PS I play as the Browns all the time on the first pick game lol
I am calling the Browns in the playoffs this year at 10-6

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
Stepping in as The Browns GM, I would do the following.

1] Draft RB S.Barkley with the #1 draft pick.

2] Draft QB Darnold or next best QB to train for the next few years as Tyrod Taylor(QB) and S.Barkley try to build the Browns back to a 4 or 5 win seasons.

3] Use the majority of the remaining draft picks to better the Defense and the Offensive Line.

4] Promote a new era of football in Cleveland and get the players and the fans to believe that the times are changing. [smile]

Now, show some courage and post to this thread as I and another has. [boxing]
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago
Initially my reaction was to go with Barkley at #1 and the best remaining QB at #4 but the Jets trade and a few other things made me rethink things. Keep in mind I do think Barkley is the best prospect in the draft but he is not the only good one and at #4 there will be some serious help for the Browns available even if Barkley is gone.

For that reason would take my top rated QB at #1. I can't say who that is because personally I don't know but if I were the GM I probably would. For the sake of argument and this exercise lets say Darnold. Why let someone else choose your QB for you and if you have the pick of the litter why risk settling for the runt? I know the rankings are all over the board as far as QBs go with no consensus #1 but if I am the GM I most likely have 1 prospect I have rated above the others and if I do I'm taking him. I'm not risking him being gone. That depends of course on whether or not you think ANY of the QBs available this year are potentially a franchise QB. If you don't then go with Barkley and Chubb if he is available at#4 and if not see if you can trade back as hazer suggests.

The Giants may take a QB as well or they may take Barkley or they may take Chubb or they may trade out of the spot. It is likely that any team trading up will also take a QB so that is another reason I'd get the one I wanted because I am pretty certain the Jets will be taking one. That means I could potentially be forced to settle for my third choice.

Obviously if that was the case I wouldn't have to take a QB. I could take Chubb or I could trade with the Bills as hazer says I could, I'm not so sure its a given like he suggests but it is a possibility.

Now if I would be happy with any of my top 3 QBs or if I didn't think one of them was going to be the man then I would take Barkley for sure at #1

I know I'm not playing strictly by the rules but that is because I do not have a clue which QB is better so I can't say I would take "that guy" If I thought one of these QBs could be the answer though I would certainly take him at #1.

Now if I am the Giants GM I am 100% taking Barkley if he is available
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago
I too believe that the Browns first pick will be a QB and I believe it will be Darnald.

With the second pick, I see the NYGs picking Chubb as they need a real pass rusher.

Next the NYJs traded for the third pick and they will pick the QB Josh Rosen.

The forth pick will find Cleveland picking the RB Barkley.

Beyond the Packers, IMO the Browns will be a most interesting team to watch in 2018.

UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

I too believe that the Browns first pick will be a QB and I believe it will be Darnald.

With the second pick, I see the NYGs picking Chubb as they need a real pass rusher.

Next the NYJs traded for the third pick and they will pick the QB Josh Rosen.

The forth pick will find Cleveland picking the RB Barkley.

Beyond the Packers, IMO the Browns will be a most interesting team to watch in 2018.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

After getting rid of Jason Pierre-Paul the Giants may very well choose Chubb. Like I said, if I were their GM I'd go with Barkley but Chubb makes about as much sense and maybe even a little more given their needs.

It's another reason I'd go QB at #1 if I were the Browns. We pretty much know the Jets are going QB so given the Giant's options there is a good chance Barkley will still be there at #4
Cheesey
5 years ago
Let’s see.....if I was the Browns GM, what would I do..,.,.hmmmm.....
I know!
Find the nearest bridge, and jump off of it!😂 🤣 😝
UserPostedImage
dhazer
5 years ago
My updated projections for the Browns

#1 QB Wyoming Josh Allen Browns

#2 QB USC Sam Darnold Bills via trade

#3 QB Oklahoma Baker Mayfield Jets via Trade

#4 RB Penn State Saquan Barkley Browns

#5 QB UCLA Josh Rosen Broncos

#6 DE NC State Bradley Chubb Colts

#14 CB Louisville Jaire Alexander Packers
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dhazer
5 years ago
Well i got 1 right lol, our pick hahahahaha. I still can't believe how the Browns could mess that draft up. If you want Mayfield and i have no clue why he will be a Johnny Manzeil bust, he would have been their at 4 and you still get Barkley. Wow thats the Ted Thompson for you he always wants to pull a guy out of his ass to make him good instead of taking the big name.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.