beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
It sounds like Mike Pettine's defense is different than I originally thought it was going to be. So they might not need the LB/SS or penetrating ILB like I thought, especially if they're playing to use Clay Matthews as the penetrating ILB... which might mean they could also like Marcus Davenport more than I thought. But here was my mock draft.

Back Ground
Sounds like Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine will be bringing back the aggressive 3-4 defense which ask players to be versatile and physical. Pettine has already said the OLBers will be asked to play in coverage more, which also might imply more blitzing from DBs and ILBers. This change could help some like Clay Matthews (more versatile, more surprises) and Jake Ryan (allow him to attack more, and react less), but might hurt some like Blake Martinez, who’ll be asked to deal with OL and man coverage more (when the old scheme might have been perfect for role for him).

Needs
1. Cornerback: Williams and House aren’t young, and the position needs upgrades
2. Outside linebacker: Matthews and Perry aren’t cheap and the position needs to stay healthy (and upgrades)
3. Wide receiver: Losing Jordy Nelson and team needed more/better depth before that. (which is where this mock is weak at filling, but sorta hoping they signed a Vet WR before the draft)
4. Coverage LB: Losing Joe Thomas and Morgan Burnett (as Josh Jones is now going to be playing more SS and less LB) has opened up a big hole for a coverage LB type. Also whenever Mike Pettine has joined a new NFL team, they have always gotten (FA or Draft) a new athletic ILB, and since history repeats, I'm guessing it's going to happen again.

Mock Draft
Day 1
1 14 OLB Harold Landry, Boston College, 6-2, 252

Day 2
2 45 CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado, 6-0, 201
3 76 LB/SS Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida, 6-0, 227

Day 3
4 101 OT Jamarco Jones, Ohio State, 6-4, 299
4 133 TE Christopher Herndon, Miami (FL), 6-4, 253

5 138 ILB Hercules Mataafa, Washington State, 6-2, 254
5 172 CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane, 5-10, 182
5 174 WR/TE Allen Lazard, Iowa State, 6-5, 227

6 186 WR Justin Watson, Pennsylvania, 6-2, 215
6 207 OL Dejon Allen, Hawaii, 6-2, 295

7 232 OT Brett Toth, Army, 6-6, 291
7 239 FS Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin, 5-11, 201

Draft In-depth

OLB Harold Landry, Boston College, 6-2, 252
I think the new defensive scheme calls for quick, physical and versatile. While others, such as Marcus Davenport, might have more upside potential, he'll need a team to keep things simple while he develops. Landry is ready to go now and is more developed, and more versatile, meaning he should be ready to help a more complex defense much much sooner. Scots have knock Landry for relying on his quickness too much, but most college players weren't able to stop it, and you can use that to set up other moves, which Landry has shown, he just doesn't use them as often as some would like.

CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado, 6-0, 201
Packers need CBs, and IMO one (or more) of the top 8 in this draft should fall to the 40s draft selections. Currently Oliver seems to be getting the least amount of hype. Oliver is raw and needs more experience and growth, but he’s got all the physical tools, including good long speed and 33.5 inch-arms, which is 7th longest for a CB at the combine since 1999… and should give him an edge in press bump and run coverage which is expected in the new scheme.

ILB/SS Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida, 6-0, 227
Griffin is basically a large SS playing LB… and I’m expecting Griffin to be used multiple roles including as a man coverage ILB (like Joe Thomas/Fackrell) locking up one on one against a TE or RB (or spying a mobile QB) as well as a physical slot defender who’s just as likely to blitz off the edge as drop off into coverage (like Josh Jones last year). There are a ton of sub packages that could use a man with Griffin’s talents, especially if Josh Jones earns the starting SS spot.

OT Jamarco Jones, Ohio State, 6-4, 299
Jones' style of play simply reminds me of Bakhriari's style. You're not going to see either dominant, or be pushing guys around or to the ground that often... but they just get to the defender and ride them, sticking to their block as long as they can. It's a finesse style, which is boring to watch, but can be very effective... as they simply get and stay in the way of a defender.

TE Christopher Herndon, Miami (FL), 6-4, 253
Well built, almost like an oversized RB than the normal TE, which gives him both speed and power (though slow acceleration). For a TE, Herndon is a very good athletic that can make plays but is still very underdeveloped after backing up TE 1st round pick TE David Njoku for most of his career, and then an MCL injury in his one starting year. Of course, if you just look at pure potential Herndon could be taken in day 2 and long gone by this point.

ILB Hercules Mataafa, Washington State, 6-2, 254
Mataafa played DT in college (yes, DT) and he was one of the best penetrating DTs in all of college football, with the quickest first step and get off. Everyone seems to agree that there is no way he’s playing DT in the NFL and they’re projecting him to edge rusher 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, where most think his lack of elite traits will make him struggle at a position he’s not used to playing at, nor dealing with OTs.

I have a different idea… the guy is used to attacking the interior (and was one of the best at it), so why not keep him in that role as a very aggressive blitzing ILB? Mataafa is one of the best I’ve seen at getting through the “trash” by using his quickness and contorting his body to get around blockers. It’s a project, but Mataafa was one of the best at getting to the ball in the interior, and very well known for his toughness and non-stop motor.

CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane, 5-10, 182
Simply put, a more developed Sam Shields project. At Tulane, they left him on an Island all by himself and trust him to win with little to no help, and it doesn’t matter if you beat him deep, he’s going to recover and catch you before the ball gets there. I’m willing to possible draft this guy higher.

TE Allen Lazard, Iowa State, 6-5, 227
Lazard was a very large, physical, possession WR in college, with good body control and hands. The problem is that Lazard might not be athletic enough to stay at WR in the NFL. Which is why I’m projecting him to move to TE, where he seems to have a similar body type to Jimmy Graham. Basically, a possible Richard Rodgers replacement.

WR Justin Watson, Pennsylvania, 6-2, 215
The Packers have liked WRs that put up big numbers and shown good hands and routes, which is exactly what Watson has done. He’s still very raw, and does not have huge upsides, but he’s a jack of all trades, which at this point in the draft is good to find.

OL Dejon Allen, Hawaii, 6-2, 295
Like all of the Packers OL selections (it seems) Allen played at LT in college. In the pros, he’s having to move to the interior, which he has played at some, including Center. Allen sticks to his blocks very well, which seems to be what the Packers prefer over dominating them. Allen is a PS guy for his rookie year.

OT Brett Toth, Army, 6-6, 291
Toth has to serve two years with the Army before looking into the NFL, but still, he’s shown enough that I’d like to have the exclusive rights to him in two years. While Army is basically a run only offense, Toth has the physical traits to possible be very good in pass blocking (maybe even enough to stay at OT) while doing extremely well run blocking.

FS Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin, 5-11, 201
Playing in a similar defense in college should hopefully help Jamerson pick up the defense faster, while he has some very nice physical skill sets. He hasn’t put them all together yet, but maybe with a year on the practice squad he’ll be able to, or sooner if someone gets injured and he gets called up.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
5 years ago
Great job Beast. But I hope the Packers don't draft Landry with the 14th pick.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Great job Beast. But I hope the Packers don't draft Landry with the 14th pick.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Yeah, my interested in Landry has a lot to do with Matthews and what I thought Petine's scheme would be. As I talked about above, I might be incorrect with Petine's scheme will be. But I was thinking they would like that Matthews and Landry have similar physical talents... and one could be able to play ILB while the other was player OLB.

But also I thought they both could be dropped into coverage a lot better than the other clear 1st round guys that are being talked about. And that Davenport (while he has a HUGE upside, he needs a couple years of development, and Mike Mayock suggested that some team was going to have to keep things simple for him, such as pass rusher only... where Landy could be used in different roles early on.

I'm still not sure about Landry's pass rush though... if he's quickness speed rush can win in the pros like it did in college then he's gonna be very good. If he can't, then he's going to have to use a lot of other moves... which he's done a lot of other moves, just in very small samples, because he didn't often have to pull them out. But the other moves looked good, but can he constantly win?
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

It sounds like Mike Pettine's defense is different than I originally thought it was going to be. So they might not need the LB/SS or penetrating ILB like I thought, especially if they're playing to use Clay Matthews as the penetrating ILB... which might mean they could also like Marcus Davenport more than I thought. But here was my mock draft.

Back Ground
Sounds like Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine will be bringing back the aggressive 3-4 defense which ask players to be versatile and physical. Pettine has already said the OLBers will be asked to play in coverage more, which also might imply more blitzing from DBs and ILBers. This change could help some like Clay Matthews (more versatile, more surprises) and Jake Ryan (allow him to attack more, and react less), but might hurt some like Blake Martinez, who’ll be asked to deal with OL and man coverage more (when the old scheme might have been perfect for role for him).

Needs
1. Cornerback: Williams and House aren’t young, and the position needs upgrades
2. Outside linebacker: Matthews and Perry aren’t cheap and the position needs to stay healthy (and upgrades)
3. Wide receiver: Losing Jordy Nelson and team needed more/better depth before that. (which is where this mock is weak at filling, but sorta hoping they signed a Vet WR before the draft)
4. Coverage LB: Losing Joe Thomas and Morgan Burnett (as Josh Jones is now going to be playing more SS and less LB) has opened up a big hole for a coverage LB type. Also whenever Mike Pettine has joined a new NFL team, they have always gotten (FA or Draft) a new athletic ILB, and since history repeats, I'm guessing it's going to happen again.

Mock Draft
Day 1
1 14 OLB Harold Landry, Boston College, 6-2, 252

Day 2
2 45 CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado, 6-0, 201
3 76 LB/SS Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida, 6-0, 227

Day 3
4 101 OT Jamarco Jones, Ohio State, 6-4, 299
4 133 TE Christopher Herndon, Miami (FL), 6-4, 253

5 138 ILB Hercules Mataafa, Washington State, 6-2, 254
5 172 CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane, 5-10, 182
5 174 WR/TE Allen Lazard, Iowa State, 6-5, 227

6 186 WR Justin Watson, Pennsylvania, 6-2, 215
6 207 OL Dejon Allen, Hawaii, 6-2, 295

7 232 OT Brett Toth, Army, 6-6, 291
7 239 FS Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin, 5-11, 201

Draft In-depth

OLB Harold Landry, Boston College, 6-2, 252
I think the new defensive scheme calls for quick, physical and versatile. While others, such as Marcus Davenport, might have more upside potential, he'll need a team to keep things simple while he develops. Landry is ready to go now and is more developed, and more versatile, meaning he should be ready to help a more complex defense much much sooner. Scots have knock Landry for relying on his quickness too much, but most college players weren't able to stop it, and you can use that to set up other moves, which Landry has shown, he just doesn't use them as often as some would like.

CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado, 6-0, 201
Packers need CBs, and IMO one (or more) of the top 8 in this draft should fall to the 40s draft selections. Currently Oliver seems to be getting the least amount of hype. Oliver is raw and needs more experience and growth, but he’s got all the physical tools, including good long speed and 33.5 inch-arms, which is 7th longest for a CB at the combine since 1999… and should give him an edge in press bump and run coverage which is expected in the new scheme.

ILB/SS Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida, 6-0, 227
Griffin is basically a large SS playing LB… and I’m expecting Griffin to be used multiple roles including as a man coverage ILB (like Joe Thomas/Fackrell) locking up one on one against a TE or RB (or spying a mobile QB) as well as a physical slot defender who’s just as likely to blitz off the edge as drop off into coverage (like Josh Jones last year). There are a ton of sub packages that could use a man with Griffin’s talents, especially if Josh Jones earns the starting SS spot.

OT Jamarco Jones, Ohio State, 6-4, 299
Jones' style of play simply reminds me of Bakhriari's style. You're not going to see either dominant, or be pushing guys around or to the ground that often... but they just get to the defender and ride them, sticking to their block as long as they can. It's a finesse style, which is boring to watch, but can be very effective... as they simply get and stay in the way of a defender.

TE Christopher Herndon, Miami (FL), 6-4, 253
Well built, almost like an oversized RB than the normal TE, which gives him both speed and power (though slow acceleration). For a TE, Herndon is a very good athletic that can make plays but is still very underdeveloped after backing up TE 1st round pick TE David Njoku for most of his career, and then an MCL injury in his one starting year. Of course, if you just look at pure potential Herndon could be taken in day 2 and long gone by this point.

ILB Hercules Mataafa, Washington State, 6-2, 254
Mataafa played DT in college (yes, DT) and he was one of the best penetrating DTs in all of college football, with the quickest first step and get off. Everyone seems to agree that there is no way he’s playing DT in the NFL and they’re projecting him to edge rusher 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, where most think his lack of elite traits will make him struggle at a position he’s not used to playing at, nor dealing with OTs.

I have a different idea… the guy is used to attacking the interior (and was one of the best at it), so why not keep him in that role as a very aggressive blitzing ILB? Mataafa is one of the best I’ve seen at getting through the “trash” by using his quickness and contorting his body to get around blockers. It’s a project, but Mataafa was one of the best at getting to the ball in the interior, and very well known for his toughness and non-stop motor.

CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane, 5-10, 182
Simply put, a more developed Sam Shields project. At Tulane, they left him on an Island all by himself and trust him to win with little to no help, and it doesn’t matter if you beat him deep, he’s going to recover and catch you before the ball gets there. I’m willing to possible draft this guy higher.

TE Allen Lazard, Iowa State, 6-5, 227
Lazard was a very large, physical, possession WR in college, with good body control and hands. The problem is that Lazard might not be athletic enough to stay at WR in the NFL. Which is why I’m projecting him to move to TE, where he seems to have a similar body type to Jimmy Graham. Basically, a possible Richard Rodgers replacement.

WR Justin Watson, Pennsylvania, 6-2, 215
The Packers have liked WRs that put up big numbers and shown good hands and routes, which is exactly what Watson has done. He’s still very raw, and does not have huge upsides, but he’s a jack of all trades, which at this point in the draft is good to find.

OL Dejon Allen, Hawaii, 6-2, 295
Like all of the Packers OL selections (it seems) Allen played at LT in college. In the pros, he’s having to move to the interior, which he has played at some, including Center. Allen sticks to his blocks very well, which seems to be what the Packers prefer over dominating them. Allen is a PS guy for his rookie year.

OT Brett Toth, Army, 6-6, 291
Toth has to serve two years with the Army before looking into the NFL, but still, he’s shown enough that I’d like to have the exclusive rights to him in two years. While Army is basically a run only offense, Toth has the physical traits to possible be very good in pass blocking (maybe even enough to stay at OT) while doing extremely well run blocking.

FS Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin, 5-11, 201
Playing in a similar defense in college should hopefully help Jamerson pick up the defense faster, while he has some very nice physical skill sets. He hasn’t put them all together yet, but maybe with a year on the practice squad he’ll be able to, or sooner if someone gets injured and he gets called up.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I give you credit for putting in the effort but I hope the Packers don't end up making all 12 picks. Trading away 4-5 picks and moving up 8-10 spots in the 2nd and 3rd would be my preference

Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (13h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (19h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.