nerdmann
5 years ago

What, why?

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Vogel was a good punter. This wasn’t a diva routine after the fact. They drafted him, because Vogel has some kind of a problem.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Barfarn
5 years ago
Last year Schumm got hurt. And Lions Punter Martin hurt his ankle in July and missed first 6 games, he started season on PUP. So Detroit signed Redfern, who tore his ACL in last PS game. Hell, we should be okay, Packer players never get injured, we don’t need any injury protection for the position, its better to help other teams by giving Vogel the best opportunity elsewhere. WTF…I mean WTF!

And it’s impossible for a 5th rnd punter to bust? Who says? WTF

As a ROOKIE, Vogel had the 2nd highest avg in Packer history, HISTORY! As ROOKIE he was 9th in Net in 2017. Only 29 of 71 punts were returned [good for 11th in %] for 5.7 avg yards. His Now he’s cut? I can only say, “WTF.”

Vogel was #18 inside 20 and not a great holder and Scott can kick-off; but if Scott busts out…or gets injured…Someone should tell Gutekunst this stuff happens…then we end up with a scrap heaper like Schumm.

Punters often get better! Compared to Ryan’s rookie year in 2006, Vogel is a ton better.

33 Punters were drafted in rounds 1-4 since 1965. 8 were busts [Remember 3rd rounders BJ Sander and Ray Stackowicz?]; 7 others couldn’t hold Vogel’s jockstrap.

23 punters were drafted in the 5th round since 1965. 9 were outright busts [Remember 1991? Jeff Fite?]; 4 were pro-bowlers, 5 more ended up better than what Vogel was last year and 5 started some and were/are not as good as Vogel.

One of those 5 that started some is Jeff Locke was a 5th rounder, Minn cut him, Det cut him, Indy cut him, SF just signed him to light a fire under their punter’s ass [Pinion another 5th rounder].

Locke wasn’t even a lock. Anyone that thinks Scott is a lock and is impervious to injury is a complete buffoon dumbass dumbshit buffoon!

This has happened before?…BULLSHIT, When ..who?

Better for Vogel? WTF, do the inmates run the asylym? What if Alexander said its better for him to only guard WRs under 5’10” on right side; sure Jaire no prob, 1265 only exists to cater to your whims.

And beside, it makes no difference to Vogel if GB cuts him. He's a od damn punter, he doens't need ot learn the playbook and he's not playing an assignment in a scheme. What he puts on tape this fall for GB will secure a job for him, if he’s any good. If he wants to bitch and he punts bad, then good then he wont get another job.

One thing makes sense: Vogel will take PS game snaps from Scott. But, you begin by giving Scott 80%-90% of the punts. If it looks like Scott is choking, drop his % of punts. Then you manufacture extra opportunities; like instead of running out clock at end of game or half, you call TOs and punt.

As far as principle and messages to players. A draft pick being giving a job without proving a god damn thing is just no way to run a god damn football team; Belichick soiled his pants when he saw this.

And now Gutekunst has just taken a giant shit on the BEST UDFA program in the NFL. Next year premium UDFAs are going to be told by their agents, “GB will keep their picks even if you’re better, look at Vogel, you wont be given a chance.”

When Cheesey and I agree, the effing world better take notice! 😂

1 of 2 things are at play: (1) as Nerd said, something off-field like Vogel had his legs cut off in a train accident yesterday; or (2) more evidence that Gutekunst is delusional. The sense of self-aggrandizement a GM suffers from by tricking himself into believing his picks cant fail or cant get injured is suffering from a stark lack of self-esteem. It is the same psychological mechanisms that allowed him to either not consult or ignore his Pro Scout Dept.’s advice on Graham.
nyrpack
5 years ago
theres a reason they took as a draft choice, no brainer vogel was done !!
jimmy b.
beast
5 years ago

Well this kinda sucks... I was expecting them to trade the loser of the punting battle for a 7th round pick next year. I'm still shocked they drafted a punter after they got Vogel setting the franchise record for net punting and was a Pro Bowl alternate as a rookie.

Though, I guess our GM see the new punter as a rare punter talent.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

Vogel asked for his release

Rob Demovsky wrote:

Smart guy, that Mean Matt Cassel. 👍
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

Well this kinda sucks... I was expecting them to trade the loser of the punting battle for a 7th round pick next year. I'm still shocked they drafted a punter after they got Vogel setting the franchise record for net punting and was a Pro Bowl alternate as a rookie.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Ain't buying it. NO WAY.

Vogel is secretly insane or something, there's something WRONG with him. This is almost like a Josh Sitton type situation. Whatever is wrong with Vogel, that's the REASON the new guy was drafted.

Something will come out in the next couple weeks, book it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

I like your thinking but I don't see that they would have been able to pull it off.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Smart guy, that Mean Matt Cassel. 👍

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Just because someone said it, doesn't mean it smart... (though really, it probably is smart for the punter, but I'm thinking about the team)

Ain't buying it. NO WAY.

Vogel is secretly insane or something, there's something WRONG with him. This is almost like a Josh Sitton type situation. Whatever is wrong with Vogel, that's the REASON the new guy was drafted.

Something will come out in the next couple weeks, book it.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Packers GM said he drafted the punter because he has rare punting talent... if they see him as elite then I can see them pulling the trigger on this... and releasing Vogel just because he asked for it and nothing being wrong.

I like your thinking but I don't see that they would have been able to pull it off.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

They pulled off a 7th round pick for LB Lerentee McCray... remember him? Of course we don't... he did less for the Packers than Vogel.... of course, there would have to be a need, but one training camp injury, and the Packers might earn themselves a 7th round pick (maybe conditionally but still).

PS: The 7th the Packers got for LB Lerentee McCray was used to select LS Hunter Bradley this year.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

Just because someone said it, doesn't mean it smart...

Wait, so you're telling me I'm not smart? I'm not sure whether to be hurt or offended.

Ah, who am I kidding. I could never fool anyone into thinking I'm smart.

UserPostedImage
blueleopard
5 years ago

17 paragraphs of bullshit about a punter.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

You have a lot of time on your hands.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (3h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (15h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (15h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (20h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.