nerdmann
5 years ago

I don't get what the big deal is. The Packers think they had an opportunity to upgrade the position, for any number of reasons that we will likely never fully know. They drafted their guy and they promptly moved on. So be it. The only way this is a bad decision is if Scott sucks. As long as he pans out, it's an acceptable move. If he turns out to be very good or great, it will end up a very good move. Not much different from every other draft pick.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I’m not saying it’s a big deal. What I’m saying is, there’s more to this.

Just because you draft a punter, doesn’t mean he pans out. I mean, if anything it’s a jinx.

So let’s imagine this guy tanks. We then need to hit the waiver wire for Schum.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I doubt this is one of those things where Chris Jacke slept with Mike Holgrem's daughter or something. Justin Vogel asked to be released so he could find employment elsewhere.

I don't understand why we have to tinfoil hat every single transaction, or lack of. We're going to say "there's more to it" even when a PUNTER is released after a 5th round pick was used on one? And the incumbent ASKS to be released? Holy shit!!!

Look, if the dude don't want to COMPETE for his position, fuck him! The Packers have been preaching hardcore about competition at every position. And this dude don't wanna compete. What the hell is so hard about this?

Teams keep anywhere from 6-10 OL and sometimes the same range of LB. Teams rarely keep two Punters.

Vogel asked to be released. Packers accommodated his request.

End of fascinating story.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
5 years ago
I live in Alabama and while by no means am I a Crimson Tide fan I watch the games. Scott has been a huge part of Bama's success over the past 4 years.
He repeatedly boomed field flipping punts and consistently dropped the ball inside the 5-10 yard line giving the opponents next to no chance against the best defense in college football.

When they say he is a rare talent I can say he's one of the best all around punter I've ever seen.
Vogel knows it too. They were in college at the same time and Scott was well known for what he could do from when he was a freshman. Hell, he could have been the MVP of the National Championship game his freshman year if they would ever do such a thing.

When Vogel heard Scott's name he must have felt like Wyatt Earp when he asked Doc Holliday about going one on one with Johnny Ringo, " I can't beat him can I?" and Hollidy looks him straight in the eye and says "NO". Earp had Holliday to back him up. Vogel got out of town as fast as he could.
I don't blame him. This was not a fair fight and it's not because Scott was picked in the 5th round.

"The train is leaving the station."
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago
Can't believe I am saying this, but you got me pretty excited about a Punter Warhawk. Great post.
Cheesey
5 years ago
“Johnny Ringo”.....didn’t he play drums for the Beatles???🤣
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I live in Alabama and while by no means am I a Crimson Tide fan I watch the games. Scott has been a huge part of Bama's success over the past 4 years.
He repeatedly boomed field flipping punts and consistently dropped the ball inside the 5-10 yard line giving the opponents next to no chance against the best defense in college football.

When they say he is a rare talent I can say he's one of the best all around punter I've ever seen.
Vogel knows it too. They were in college at the same time and Scott was well known for what he could do from when he was a freshman. Hell, he could have been the MVP of the National Championship game his freshman year if they would ever do such a thing.

When Vogel heard Scott's name he must have felt like Wyatt Earp when he asked Doc Holliday about going one on one with Johnny Ringo, " I can't beat him can I?" and Hollidy looks him straight in the eye and says "NO". Earp had Holliday to back him up. Vogel got out of town as fast as he could.
I don't blame him. This was not a fair fight and it's not because Scott was picked in the 5th round.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

The thing I find so odd is that their were two punter with surprising high draft grades, suggesting they should be among the best NFL punters for years to come... of course the Seahawks grabbed a punter first in the draft, grabbing the MVP of the Texas Bowl, Punter Michael Dickson of Texas. Dickson lead the NCAA in net yardage last year. 10 of his 11 punts in the Texas Bowl landed inside the 15, and four landed inside the 5.

Then the Packers drafted JK Scott of Alabama, right before the very punter needy Raiders (you know they were planning on grabbing him). So JK Scott has all this potential, but surprisingly they year has not one, but two punter rated much higher than most drafts have a single one.

But the Packers won't have a clear talent edge like Scott had with Bama... and he might need to get the ball out faster to avoid blocks in the NFL.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Can't believe I am saying this, but you got me pretty excited about a Punter Warhawk. Great post.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I can't remember the punters name, but I believe it was the Chargers punter. The guy seriously was the MVP. The Chargers offense was garbage and the punter just kept flipping the field. It was pretty damn impressive. I'm hoping this Scott can beam up some great punts.

Edit: I think it was Mike Scifres.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
5 years ago

I can't remember the punters name, but I believe it was the Chargers punter. The guy seriously was the MVP. The Chargers offense was garbage and the punter just kept flipping the field. It was pretty damn impressive. I'm hoping this Scott can beam up some great punts.

Edit: I think it was Mike Scifres.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Correct. It was during a playoff game a few years back.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

I'm hoping this Scott can beam up some great punts.

I'm hoping his cleats never touch the field.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
5 years ago

I'm hoping this Scott can beam up some great punts.

Aye aye see what you did there.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.