Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smokey  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 4:39:13 PM(UTC)
Many of us have our all time favorite Green Bay Packer player. He could be a current player or someone from the past. This thread is for members to post their selection for "Best Packer Ever".

My "Best Packer Ever" is Bart Starr. His accomplishments speak for him better than I can.

Career highlights and awards

2× Super Bowl champion (I, II)
2× Super Bowl MVP (I, II)
5× NFL champion (1961, 1962, 1965–1967)
4× Pro Bowl (1960–1962, 1966)
First-team All-Pro (1966)
2× Second-team All-Pro (1962, 1964)
NFL Most Valuable Player (1966)
5× NFL passer rating leader (1962, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1969)
NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
Packers Hall of Fame
Green Bay Packers No. 15 retired

Who is your all time favorite Packer Player?
Cheesey  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 5:04:49 PM(UTC)
Mine is Ray Nitschke. I watched him play on TV, and just loved the guy.
Then I was fortunate enough to meet him back around 1990, and sat and talked with him for about an hour. He made me feel like he knew me forever.
He also let me try on his SB 1 ring.

Next would be Barr Starr. Another class act!
Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 5:14:48 PM(UTC)
Donald Montgomery Hutson
packerfanoutwest  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 5:32:11 PM(UTC)
I have 2 Packer jerseys, one has #5 on it, the other one has #66 on. I would have to vote for #5 being the best Packer. If anyone mentions #4, they should be banned.
nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 5:34:37 PM(UTC)
Starr, Hornung, Nitzsche, Hutson. Go from there.
wpr  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 6:02:06 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Donald Montgomery Hutson

There a go. What Hutson did is astonishing. He was a true all around player. Receiver, Safety, Kicker he even tossed a few passes and rushed a few times every year.

If he played a 16 game schedule with the softer passing rules now in place his records would still be standing.
PackerTraxx  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:40:02 AM(UTC)
Considering the era - Hutson. What he did at that time was amazing and revolutionary. The numbers, especially scoring, were even more amazing than Rice, again considering the times.
KRK  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:55:21 AM(UTC)
Starr, Hutson, White - best players which had significant history-changing impact on the franchise
All-time favorite Bart Starr....all class...clutch player...great teammate
TheKanataThrilla  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:28:57 AM(UTC)
I wouldn't be a Packer fan if it wasn't for Favre. I was mostly a CFL guy who would watch the NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl. My ex was a NFL fan and when we got together she thought I should pick a NFL team (she was a 49ers fan). Me being true to Canadian form was in awe of this gunslinger chucking balls in a Green Bay snowy game who looked like they played for the Edmonton Eskimos (flashbacks to Warren Moon my first childhood football idol). This was my guy and this was my team.

I know that Brett has done some stuff to disappoint, but if it wasn't for him I could have ended up cheering for some other cold weather team. That would suck ass.

Over the years since I became a fan it is been hard to narrow it down since I like so many guys. Reggie White, Donald Driver, Charles Woodson, and Nick Collins. However, I still say at the end of the day I owe my being a fan to Brett and I am at peace with all the later crap that happened.
Smokey  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 1:07:22 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't be a Packer fan if it wasn't for Favre. I was mostly a CFL guy who would watch the NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl. My ex was a NFL fan and when we got together she thought I should pick a NFL team (she was a 49ers fan). Me being true to Canadian form was in awe of this gunslinger chucking balls in a Green Bay snowy game who looked like they played for the Edmonton Eskimos (flashbacks to Warren Moon my first childhood football idol). This was my guy and this was my team.

I know that Brett has done some stuff to disappoint, but if it wasn't for him I could have ended up cheering for some other cold weather team. That would suck ass.

Over the years since I became a fan it is been hard to narrow it down since I like so many guys. Reggie White, Donald Driver, Charles Woodson, and Nick Collins. However, I still say at the end of the day I owe my being a fan to Brett and I am at peace with all the later crap that happened.

I don't wish for this thread to turn into a debate over Brett Favre, but IMO too many only recall the unpleasant departure. It is now fully understood that GB was eager to replace Favre with Rodgers. Favre was unsure about retirement and GB's Management should bare their fair share of blame for forcing the issue.

Let us not forget that it was Favre that helped lead the Packers back to elite football status. That his iron man record served to inspire many. He earned a place in the HOF and Q-Backed GB to Two SBs (winning one).

My all time favorite Packer, Bart Starr, was so respected that he was hired to be GB's Head Coach for a few years. Let us hope that Aaron Rodgers adds more SB rings to his trophy case before he is done. May his replacement and their transition go a lot smoother. Cool
sschind  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 2:49:04 PM(UTC)
I know the old timers don't like to admit that some of the more recent players may get votes but I don't necessarily see it that way. Even Smokey in his original post couldn't keep it straight.

I'm pretty sure what he intended this thread to be was which player was the best player to ever wear a Packer uniform as the title of the thread states but at the very end of his post he said

I have no problem with anyone choosing Favre, or White or anyone else as their favorite even though I probably wouldn't consider them the best. My own personal opinion is that I just can't choose someone like Starr or Hutson as my favorite because I never saw them play. Its kind of like saying my favorite beer is one I never tried.

Best ever? I would say Bart Starr though I wouldn't argue with anyone who says Don Hutson.

As far as my favorite I'd probably have to say Ahman Green. Normally if the guy doesn't play for the Packers I don't give them a second thought but I remember drafting Green in my fantasy league when he was a rookie in Seattle. One of my goals in my league is to have my last pick be a guy that the other owners will say "who" when I announce the name and if I recall correctly Green was that player. Most of the time they don't pan out as rookies but many of them go on to be pretty good eventually. Anyway, I didn't draft him in his second year but when he was traded to the Packers I drafted him pretty high, higher than I would have had to probably, but he helped me win it all that year. I probably felt worse about his defection in free agency than any other packer player before or since and I was thrilled when he cam back and topped Jim Taylor's team record (not that I have anything against Taylor, he is also a Packer legend but again I never saw him play so even though I can respect what he means to the franchise I just can't say he is a favorite.) I even bookmarked the Omaha Nighthawks website to follow his career when he left for the second time. The only other player who I really followed after he left the Packers was James Jones.

So anyway, while I do think that the "best" Packer players were probably from the early, or glory, years I think as we go forward you are going to find more and more "favorites being from the Brett Favre era or later and I completely understand that.
nyrpack  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:27:57 PM(UTC)
without a doubt my favorite alltime is brett favre, he was the best packer ever until aaron rodgers came along, favre still the most exciting but aarons skill level is far above the rest. a few honorable mentions are reggie white, charles woodson, james lofton, bart starr, i go back back up to the early 70s , so before that i couldnt really comment honestly, i live in new york and in the age of tv and no internet, only a local wisconsin fan would be able to answer that !!
Smokey  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:38:53 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
I know the old timers don't like to admit that some of the more recent players may get votes but I don't necessarily see it that way. Even Smokey in his original post couldn't keep it straight.

I'm pretty sure what he intended this thread to be was which player was the best player to ever wear a Packer uniform as the title of the thread states but at the very end of his post he said

As an old timer, yes I was privileged to see many of the best that ever played the game and I also never saw a lot of those that played before 1962. I thought that my original thread posting was very clear, all are free to choose any player that ever played for GB as their "Best Ever Packer"

If you liked Ahman Green or Ryan Longwell or Reggie White, then say so. Even if you never saw them play, but respect what they did. Bart Star will always be my favorite, yet that does not mean that I did not also respect Taylor or Horning or Robinson or Sharpe.

I'm not sure just what you believe that I couldn't keep straight, I stated a clear case.

Cheers!
Cheesey  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:21:59 PM(UTC)
I can understand why youngins would pick players they know and have seen play. Nothing wrong with that!
I remember the “old days” and have been privileged to actually meet too many players to list. Guys like Starr, Nitschke, Jerry and Ron Kramer, Dave Robinson, Horning, Fuzzy Thurston, Zeke Bratkowski, Favre, Donald Driver, Ahman Green and I could go on and on. Many of them were great guys!
So if you like new guys, I get it!
If they are Packers, that’s what matters!
Gilligan  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:34:13 PM(UTC)
I would go with:
Tony Mandarich
Michael Haddix
and my all time favorite.....T. J. Rubley
wpr  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:43:02 PM(UTC)
Gilligan said: Go to Quoted Post
I would go with:
Tony Mandarich
Michael Haddix
and my all time favorite.....T. J. Rubley

BWHAHAHA. LOL
Cheesey  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:24:34 PM(UTC)
“GILL-I-GAN!!!”
You really put yourself out on an Island with THAT post, little buddy!Laugh LOL
Smokey  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:38:24 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
“GILL-I-GAN!!!”
You really put yourself out on an Island with THAT post, little buddy!Laugh LOL

Yes Cheesey, he's definitely not a Professor ! He could take his head out of his wpr though.

Rolling On Floor Laughing
sschind  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:38:25 AM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
As an old timer, yes I was privileged to see many of the best that ever played the game and I also never saw a lot of those that played before 1962. I thought that my original thread posting was very clear, all are free to choose any player that ever played for GB as their "Best Ever Packer"

If you liked Ahman Green or Ryan Longwell or Reggie White, then say so. Even if you never saw them play, but respect what they did. Bart Star will always be my favorite, yet that does not mean that I did not also respect Taylor or Horning or Robinson or Sharpe.

I'm not sure just what you believe that I couldn't keep straight, I stated a clear case.

Cheers!

I realize that we can choose anyone who ever played for the Packers I was just explaining why I can't. I also knew you would take couldn't keep straight comment the wrong way but wasn't sure how else to put it. Even in this post you still seem confused to me. IMO there is a difference between "best" and "favorite"

I think Bart Starr, or maybe Don Hutson, were the best Packer players ever but they are not my favorites. To some people the best are theirs favorites and that's fine but when they do not coincide and you really only want one but ask for both which one are we supposed to put down?
Rss Feed