nerdmann
5 years ago

The Green Bay Packers will likely have to rely on at least one rookie receiver this year. J'Mon Moore has already separated himself from the group by saying the exact right things about quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Continue Reading @ TotalPackers 

TotalPackers wrote:

Realistically, these rookies are vying for the 5th target spot.

I mean, you got Davante and Cobb, then you got Jimmy Graham, then Ty Montgomery. So that's 4 veteran guys right there.

I kind of leaned toward Yancey/Davis/Gmo as a veteran presence, but I think one of those guys would have to beat out Cobb. And that could be done, IMO, given Cobb's cap hit/production ratio. Watch and see.

But it is conceivable that none of those second tier veterans will make the squad.

I would note that both JMon and Valdez-Scantling practiced exclusively in the slot in the rookie orientation, and EQ lined up solely on the outside. Dude is 6'5" and has added some bulk, I think he's in the area of 220. Not exactly TE weight, but he's a rookie, could go that way.

Might have to keep 6 again this year, not counting Ty. Micheal Clark is #6 if he doesn't move to TE. Raw, but is progressing. Hasn't hit his ceiling yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
5 years ago
I don't know about the rest of you but quite frankly I'm getting a little tired of all this "earn Aaron Rodgers' trust" stuff. This more than anything makes him sound like he thinks he is far more important than anyone else. "I'm Aaron Rodgers and If I don't deem you worthy of catching passes from me then you are not worthy of catching passes from me". I get it that he is far more important than anyone else but for him to think it is the wrong attitude to take. It's almost like his attitude is "I'm Aaron Rodgers and I am great so I won't throw to you because I don't think you will catch the ball and it will make me look bad in the stats". I'm not saying that's how he feels but it kind of sounds that way to me.

It may be a whole media thing and I'm not sure if Aaron Rodgers has ever made those comments about WR's needing to earn his trust but if he did the way it has been perpetuated makes me cringe a little bit each time I read it.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I don't know about the rest of you but quite frankly I'm getting a little tired of all this "earn Aaron Rodgers' trust" stuff. This more than anything makes him sound like he thinks he is far more important than anyone else. "I'm Aaron Rodgers and If I don't deem you worthy of catching passes from me then you are not worthy of catching passes from me". I get it that he is far more important than anyone else but for him to think it is the wrong attitude to take. It's almost like his attitude is "I'm Aaron Rodgers and I am great so I won't throw to you because I don't think you will catch the ball and it will make me look bad in the stats". I'm not saying that's how he feels but it kind of sounds that way to me.

It may be a whole media thing and I'm not sure if Aaron Rodgers has ever made those comments about WR's needing to earn his trust but if he did the way it has been perpetuated makes me cringe a little bit each time I read it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

It is a media thing. It's derived from Aaron saying that it has to be done on the practice field first, and then the game field. And also with Aaron's short fuse for mental errors. I don't think it is that hard to earn Aaron's trust. Remember Jarrett Boykin? Dude went from six targets to 83 targets in his 2nd year.

Aaron really isn't as arrogant as some in the media portray. He's a really sore and sensitive loser, but as I once read, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
UserPostedImage

If you second guess this, keep in mind how many times you (used in general sense) said WTF you throw it to Player X! All he does is drop it!!

You get open, Aaron will throw it to you.
You have a small window, but are covered and where you're supposed to be, Aaron will throw it to you.

It's remarkable how precise this man is with the ball.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Realistically, these rookies are vying for the 5th target spot.

I mean, you got Davante and Cobb, then you got Jimmy Graham, then Ty Montgomery. So that's 4 veteran guys right there.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Realistically, the Packers run a lot of 3 WR sets... and while Graham and Monty can be used at WRs, they have their other positions to worry about... so young guys at vying for 3rd semi starting WR role... which is higher than the 5th target spot... unless you're running a conservative passing game offense (which they should not be doing with the best QB in the NFL).

I think they keep 6 WRs and might even consider a 7th WR.
Two vet starters: Adams, Cobb
Two of the youngsters: Gmo, Clark, Davis, Yancey
Two of the rookies: JMon, Vald-S, EQ
Possible one extra from above.

Right now, I'm thinking.... Adams, Cobb, Gmo, Clark and all three rookies. Though Davis might be able to break in with his ST play, but he's going to have to improve his WR play if all three rookies show potential.
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

It is a media thing. It's derived from Aaron saying that it has to be done on the practice field first, and then the game field. And also with Aaron's short fuse for mental errors. I don't think it is that hard to earn Aaron's trust. Remember Jarrett Boykin? Dude went from six targets to 83 targets in his 2nd year.

Aaron really isn't as arrogant as some in the media portray. He's a really sore and sensitive loser, but as I once read, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
UserPostedImage

If you second guess this, keep in mind how many times you (used in general sense) said WTF you throw it to Player X! All he does is drop it!!

You have a small window, but are covered and where you're supposed to be, Aaron will throw it to you.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You are probably right and maybe I am putting too much on Rodgers for what is really the media's doing. I suppose that is true in the vast majority of cases though where something a player says gets picked up by the media and blown way out of proportion.

sschind
5 years ago
As long as Monty stays at RB, and I think he will, I think the 3rd WR will get more targets. Keep in mind he may be 3rd on the depth chart at RB. I think it will be Adams leading in targets then Cobb, followed closely by Graham then whoever wins the third WR spot. Obviously if the third WR spot changes hands at some point that could affect individual numbers but the position should still garner the 4th most targets. That said if you factor in the other two RBs that will boost that positions targets as well.
nerdmann
5 years ago

As long as Monty stays at RB, and I think he will, I think the 3rd WR will get more targets. Keep in mind he may be 3rd on the depth chart at RB. I think it will be Adams leading in targets then Cobb, followed closely by Graham then whoever wins the third WR spot. Obviously if the third WR spot changes hands at some point that could affect individual numbers but the position should still garner the 4th most targets. That said if you factor in the other two RBs that will boost that positions targets as well.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

They like to have Monty on the field, because moving him around helps diagnose defenses before the snap and also helps get the matchups they want.

Fact is, we have RBs now. He’ll be much healthier running routes.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
5 years ago

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Dude is sensitive and holds a grudge.
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
Ty Montgomery is a RB.
Jimmy Graham is a TE .
So I've been told many times on this very site.

That leaves 2 veteran Wr's currently on the roster.
With the emphasis on improving the defense so far this year, I believe if the 53rd spot on the roster would come down to a 6fh or 7th wr or an extra db, the db will win out.
Montgomery and Graham are versatile enough to allow The Packers to only keep 4 or 5 true wr's.
Even at 5, that only leaves 3 open spots

Davis, Clark, & Allison will have the inside track to land a spot.
DeangeloYancey will join the rookie draft picks and udfa's in trying to get into the top 5 (or maybe 6) spot on the roster.

There is so little practice time anymore to actually get the team ready for the regular season, most rookies, especially wr's will get left behind.
Remember Mike wants every wr to know every position.
Very rare when that happens
Maybe this is the year.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
5 years ago

That leaves 2 veteran Wr's currently on the roster.
With the emphasis on improving the defense so far this year, I believe if the 53rd spot on the roster would come down to a 6fh or 7th wr or an extra db, the db will win out.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That's very true, but I think they got enough spots for DBs. The last couple of years they have been keeping 11 DBs, which seems like enough. Here is my list of top 8 DBs, which leaves 3 more spots.
CBs: Williams, House, King, Alexander, Jackson
S: Clinton-Dix, Jones, Brice

Plus the extra WRs spots, probably wouldn't be coming from DB anyways... and would probably come at the expense of some offensive spot, like some of these spots...
3rd QB (Hundley)
3rd TE (Byrd)
4th RB (Mays as of right now)
10th OL (the worst of the following (Patrick, Amichia and Madison).

I could see them keeping an extra WR or two over those positions/players.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.